6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 23, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #6,901 of 7,413
Ford would have used Philco branding, although they still could easily have been made by Sylvania.
All of you folks know everything. I am thoroughly impressed by how well all of you know tubes.

Thanks for helping a new guy to the tube world.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #6,902 of 7,413
Ford would have used Philco branding, although they still could easily have been made by Sylvania.
The Marconi only @bcowen could love... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
2020-07-23 19.44.05.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #6,903 of 7,413
The Marconi only @bcowen could love... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

LOL! I'll have to love it vicariously because a certain person didn't send me one (I won't mention any names because I don't want to get @Paladin79 in trouble). :frowning2:

Oh, and what's that UFO getter-ed Russkie 6H13 doing in there? You have like a truckload of to-die-for output tubes. But at least it's not a GE I guess... :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #6,904 of 7,413
LOL! I'll have to love it vicariously because a certain person didn't send me one (I won't mention any names because I don't want to get @Paladin79 in trouble). :frowning2:

Oh, and what's that UFO getter-ed Russkie 6H13 doing in there? You have like a truckload of to-die-for output tubes. But at least it's not a GE I guess... :)
That is a 1967 version of the Russian power tube, so a different number was used 6n5s I believe.

And since you insist I will have to send you a GE tube now, I have to get rid of them somehow. :ksc75smile:
I hope to finish up an amp this weekend that will be suitable for the very best 6sn7's, it is starting to come together. I have not started the transformer cover, I need to think seriously about that.HL cabinet.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #6,905 of 7,413
That is a 1967 version of the Russian power tube, so a different number was used 6n5s I believe.

And since you insist I will have to send you a GE tube now, I have to get rid of them somehow. :ksc75smile:
I hope to finish up an amp this weekend that will be suitable for the very best 6sn7's, it is starting to come together. I have not started the transformer cover, I need to think seriously about that.HL cabinet.jpg
That's gonna be one serious build...looking good, cant wait to see the finished product.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #6,906 of 7,413
That's gonna be one serious build...looking good, cant wait to see the finished product.
I am working on a copper Faraday cage that @bcowen seems anxious to emulate, I will post a photo when all is done. Hopefully this weekend.

I was out of double wall cardboard so I ended up having to use real wood, from a tree on Bill's amp.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #6,907 of 7,413
Sadly, the prototype 'Plastic Litterbox Amp' build for Bill couldn't hold up to the heat. :frowning2:

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #6,908 of 7,413
I was out of double wall cardboard so I ended up having to use real wood, from a tree on Bill's amp.

Yes, I was most disappointed that I didn't get the cardboard I'd requested, but hey...never look a gift horse in the mouth, right? :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #6,909 of 7,413
Sadly, the prototype 'Plastic Litterbox Amp' build for Bill couldn't hold up to the heat. :frowning2:

That was pretty much not my fault. There was no O&M manual that came with the amp, so there was no way for me to know I was supposed to fill it with litter first. Live and learn, I guess. :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #6,910 of 7,413
That was pretty much not my fault. There was no O&M manual that came with the amp, so there was no way for me to know I was supposed to fill it with litter first. Live and learn, I guess. :)

I can certainly make you an owner’s manual but I would have to charge $10 a word. The amp was free but a manual would require some thought since you wanted the amp built sideways. :ksc75smile:

You have already messed with the only things you have access to, hard telling what kind of strange tubes you have plugged into the poor amp.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #6,913 of 7,413
tried this Philco 6f8g in the 6sn7 slot in the Dennis Had Inspire the other day. I'm going to keep it there for a while to get a good feeling for it before swapping back in the 6sn7 'bad boy' to do a full comparison. Initial impression is quite good. "Light, airy, detailed" are what first came t mind for me. IMG_1010.jpeg

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #6,914 of 7,413
tried this Philco 6f8g in the 6sn7 slot in the Dennis Had Inspire the other day. I'm going to keep it there for a while to get a good feeling for it before swapping back in the 6sn7 'bad boy' to do a full comparison. Initial impression is quite good. "Light, airy, detailed" are what first came t mind for me. IMG_1010.jpeg

Philco didn't make their own tubes. Most were made by Sylvania. If I am reading the date code correctly, "2 U", that tube was manufactured in the third quarter of 1942.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back