6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #6,931 of 7,413
BTW - Incubus drives my 35 ohm Hifiman Arya HPs wonderfully. 😉
Hmmmm might have to try that later on with the Hifiman...that would totally blow me away.

Edit: Well... high impedance headphones have something going for them with OTL amps... that's all I'm gonna say about it..

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #6,932 of 7,413
Hmmmm might have to try that later on with the Hifiman...that would totally blow me away.

Edit: Well... high impedance headphones have something going for them with OTL amps... that's all I'm gonna say about it..
Be careful making a statement about any headphone responding well to OTL amps on Reddit in the r/headphone sub. I still get hateful messages for saying some headphones respond well to OTL and even more hate for bringing up the idea of gear pairing.
The general concensus over there is 'clean power measured by robots' over tubes any day. Freaking objectivists.

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #6,933 of 7,413

Sure. Just keep holding on to that old archaic thought train that OTL amps cannot drive low impedance cans. Meanwhile, I'll keep listening to my splendid 35 ohm Arya while my 300 ohm HD6XX collects dust. :wink:

Edit: Tube selection matters. Pairing matters. Maybe it just can't drive your cans. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #6,934 of 7,413
Be careful making a statement about any headphone responding well to OTL amps on Reddit in the r/headphone sub. I still get hateful messages for saying some headphones respond well to OTL and even more hate for bringing up the idea of gear pairing.
The general concensus over there is 'clean power measured by robots' over tubes any day. Freaking objectivists.
I have no problem with measurements except when they keep folks from at least trying tubes. I only build class A tube amps and have owned solid state as well but most of it bores me, measurements or not.

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #6,935 of 7,413
Sure. Just keep holding on to that old archaic thought train that OTL amps cannot drive low impedance cans. Meanwhile, I'll keep listening to my 45 ohm Arya while my 300 ohm HD6XX collects dust. :wink:
There are three ways that I remember to make OTL amps work well with low impedance but mine was more dumb luck. :smile_phones:

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #6,936 of 7,413
Sure. Just keep holding on to that old archaic thought train that OTL amps cannot drive low impedance cans. Meanwhile, I'll keep listening to my splendid 35 ohm Arya while my 300 ohm HD6XX collects dust. :wink:

Edit: Tube selection matters. Pairing matters. Maybe it just can't drive your cans. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Your gonna make me upgrade sooner than I wanted too... :D Well, I didn't want to go there..but since I'm already here.. the high impedance of any said headphone draws more power of OTL amps..correct? It's the resistance thing.. My Hifiman are best on my SS amp that pushes 2 watts to each channel.. OTL amp cant do that.. not at 35ohms.. if you like the sound of that thing plugged into a smartphone..Hurrah!!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #6,937 of 7,413
I have no problem with measurements except when they keep folks from at least trying tubes. I only build class A tube amps and have owned solid state as well but most of it bores me, measurements or not.
I have a Topping Dx7Pro and Senn HDVA 600. Both great SS amps in their own right (Topping is a DAC, too).
The sound is different and in my opinion better with tubes. As a long time musician, tubes brought me a feeling that SS always lacked. Tubes are more like little instruments to me.
That isn't to say I don't like SS, I do. But it's just different, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Without a doubt though, tubes are just more interesting. Period.

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #6,938 of 7,413
Your gonna make me upgrade sooner than I wanted too... :D Well, I didn't want to go there..but since I'm already here.. the high impedance of any said headphone draws more power of OTL amps..correct? It's the resistance thing.. My Hifiman are best on my SS amp that pushes 2 watts to each channel.. OTL amp cant do that.. not at 35ohms.. if you like the sound of that thing plugged into a smartphone..Hurrah!!

Don't do it!!! Arya are $1600 and your HE400i is what, like $200? :fearful:

Well, don't do an Arya without a try-before-you-buy at least. After-all -- my Splendid may be your Sucks!! :smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #6,939 of 7,413
Don't do it!!! Arya are $1600 and your HE400i is what, like $200? :fearful:

Well, don't do it without a try-before-you-buy at least. After-all -- my Splendid may be your Sucks!! :smirk:
Copy... and I wasn't aiming that high... (holy price tags...$1600!?) I need a 2nd job...

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #6,940 of 7,413
I have a Topping Dx7Pro and Senn HDVA 600. Both great SS amps in their own right (Topping is a DAC, too).
The sound is different and in my opinion better with tubes. As a long time musician, tubes brought me a feeling that SS always lacked. Tubes are more like little instruments to me.
That isn't to say I don't like SS, I do. But it's just different, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Without a doubt though, tubes are just more interesting. Period.
I have a Topping DX7 and we ran an S in some DAC blind testing and the Topping finished higher than 14 DACs costing more as I recall. That same group will be running similar tests on 6SN7 equivalents when we can meet socially again.

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #6,941 of 7,413
Copy... and I wasn't aiming that high... (holy price tags...$1600!?) I need a 2nd job...

If you can try a try a Sundara ($349), it might be worth the effort. It was leaps and bounds over my 400S and what got me on the Hifiman upgrade insanity!! (HE400S, Sundara, Ananda**, Arya)

A lot of good high impedance options at $1600, like ZMF. I just prefer planars and HF always gave me a very good trade-in value when I asked about upgrading. :wink:

** BTW -- In my experience, Ananda is too low impedance for OTL at 25 ohms, so pass on that one for your setup.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #6,942 of 7,413
If you can try a try a Sundara ($349), it might be worth the effort. It was leaps and bounds over my 400S and what got me on the Hifiman upgrade insanity!! (HE400S, Sundara, Ananda**, Arya)

A lot of good high impedance options at $1600, like ZMF. I just prefer planars and HF always gave me a very good trade-in value when I asked about upgrading. :wink:

** BTW -- In my experience, Ananda is too low impedance for OTL at 25 ohms, so pass on that one for your setup.
400i is great for me, wowed whenever I use it.. (did you here that!? moments are plenty with that headphone ) and I kinda jumped in the tubed amplified world with two feet, so high impedance cans it is. I feel you get optimum pairing with 300 ohm cans and OTL amps.. nothing gets wasted. So planars and OTL amps are a no no with me. ZMF is right up my alley. That headphone would match perfect with my new amp, both made out of wood.. 300 ohms.. :wink:

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #6,943 of 7,413
There are many paths to Nirvana in this hobby and all that matters is that we enjoy our gear and our music.

If I came across as dissing the 400i, it was not my intention. It remains a very highly regarded HP - - especially in its price-point. I was trying to communicate that your experience with Planar on your amp may be different than mine due to the difference between HE400i and Arya engineering and subsequent price delta.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #6,944 of 7,413
There are many paths to Nirvana in this hobby and all that matters is that we enjoy our gear and our music.

If I came across as dissing the 400i, it was not my intention. It remains a very highly regarded HP - - especially in its price-point. I was trying to communicate that your experience with Planar on your amp may be different than mine due to the difference between HE400i and Arya engineering and subsequent price delta.
I don't feel pretty anymore...
tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back