6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 17, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #7,321 of 7,413
May 17, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #7,322 of 7,413
Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #7,323 of 7,413
It’s not to say @Lickumms tubes aren’t bad, the bad boy moniker is just that, a name for a specific period of Sylvania tubes.
If his are older they may be a better quality tube if they have good readings.

May 19, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #7,325 of 7,413
Decided to test out the tubes I have and write a quick little comparison.

Tested using HD800s and TORBalanced. Compared to Audio-GD Master-9 Class A AMP.

Electro Harmonics 6SN7EH Gold Pins - Adds an airy spacious sound to music. Boosts the sound stage size a little over Class A amp. Bass is very tight and fast but sligtly reduced in quantity. Adds, what might be heard as, a slight dryness to the music from how clean and sharp everything is represented. Maintains all highs with no rounding or dullness.

Shuguang CV181-Z(50 Years) Premium Grade - Sounds almost identical to a class A power amp. Adds the slight warmth of Class A power, compared to Class D, removes anything offensive from headphones and songs. If you want to know what a Class A power amp sounds like use these in your tube amp. Rounds out the occsional terrible peaks that can occurs with HD800s.

Sylvania 6sn7gt 3 hole "Bad Boy" - Adds warmth to sound. Slight reduction in sound stage creating a more intamite sound. Excellent boost in the impact, rumble, and power of the sub bass. A little boost in lower mids presence. Closest thing to what I would call a traditional "tube" sound.

Ken-Rad VT-231 Black Glass - Bass King. Greatly improves bass impact, power, and presence on all ranges without muddying it or losing any quality. No real noticeable change in sound stage. If bass is what you want this is the tube to go with. Warmer sound, almost dark, compared to the "Bad Boy". Slightly dulls out the higher end peaks.

After my initial listeing I would say, right now, the "Bad Boy" is my preferred tube.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #7,326 of 7,413

Electro Harmonics 6SN7EH Gold Pins - Adds an airy spacious sound to music. Boosts the sound stage size a little over Class A amp. Bass is very tight and fast but sligtly reduced in quantity. Adds, what might be heard as, a slight dryness to the music from how clean and sharp everything is represented. Maintains all highs with no rounding or dullness.

Shuguang CV181-Z(50 Years) Premium Grade - Sounds almost identical to a class A power amp. Adds the slight warmth of Class A power, compared to Class D, removes anything offensive from headphones and songs. If you want to know what a Class A power amp sounds like use these in your tube amp. Rounds out the occsional terrible peaks that can occurs with HD800s.

Sylvania 6sn7gt 3 hole "Bad Boy" - Adds warmth to sound. Slight reduction in sound stage creating a more intamite sound. Excellent boost in the impact, rumble, and power of the sub bass. A little boost in lower mids presence. Closest thing to what I would call a traditional "tube" sound.

Ken-Rad VT-231 Black Glass - Bass King. Greatly improves bass impact, power, and presence on all ranges without muddying it or losing any quality. No real noticeable change in sound stage. If bass is what you want this is the tube to go with. Warmer sound, almost dark, compared to the "Bad Boy". Slightly dulls out the higher end peaks.

After my initial listeing I would say, right now, the "Bad Boy" is my preferred tube.
Soon, you will find something even better than Bad Boy and before you know it, you have over 100 tubes...:sweat_smile::smile::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 20, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #7,329 of 7,413
Trust me, you will end up more than a hundred tubes like most of us as you explore further....lol
It is a disease with no cure.. :beyersmile:
And after you stay at it long enough, you end up with a thousand. Roughly. And then one day you get some new tubes in the mail and you're all excited and stuff only to find that you already had 2 pairs of the exact same ones in the stash... :laughing:

May 20, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #7,330 of 7,413

…the implications…🤩🙂😕😒💸🤩

May 21, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #7,331 of 7,413
And after you stay at it long enough, you end up with a thousand. Roughly. And then one day you get some new tubes in the mail and you're all excited and stuff only to find that you already had 2 pairs of the exact same ones in the stash... :laughing:
Is Tubaholic a word? :sweat_smile:
I have accumulated almost 200 tubes just on one amp, imagine what will happen as I am still looking to try another two tube amps with different setup this autumn..:laughing:

May 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #7,332 of 7,413
Is Tubaholic a word? :sweat_smile:
I have accumulated almost 200 tubes just on one amp, imagine what will happen as I am still looking to try another two tube amps with different setup this autumn..:laughing:
…autumn?…why wait?🤣

May 21, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #7,333 of 7,413
…autumn?…why wait?🤣
Going to redo my setup and most importantly, going to add a false ceiling with sound insulation in my listening room. Work schedule is still quite tight with high labor cost than normal due to long lockdown here. A lot of skilled workers are from across the border, Malaysia or even from China, we have serious shortage of labor in Singapore now. Dont feel like adding more components now before all is done. Yeah, I know, it is painful waiting...:sweat_smile:
If all goes well, I am looking to add a pre-amp, one or two tube amps and another pair of speakers.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #7,334 of 7,413
Going to redo my setup and most importantly, going to add a false ceiling with sound insulation in my listening room. Work schedule is still quite tight with high labour cost than normal due to long lockdown here. A lot of skilled workers are from across the border, Malaysia or even from China, we have serious shortage of labour in Singapore now.
A golden opportunity for @bcowen! The word is that he is quite handy with a voltmeter and a sledgehammer….🤣

May 21, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #7,335 of 7,413
And after you stay at it long enough, you end up with a thousand. Roughly. And then one day you get some new tubes in the mail and you're all excited and stuff only to find that you already had 20 pairs of the exact same ones in the stash... :laughing:
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back