Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Mar 14, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #13,141 of 14,518
I didn’t know that Lionel made cables…🤷🏻‍♂️
Of course they did. And even a railcar to transport them. :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1647307937444.png

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #13,142 of 14,518
Of course they did. And even a railcar to transport them. :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And here is the rail car to address ECG / GE tube conveyance by rail…😲:
32780A5D-A06A-4308-AAF3-D87B9ECB7B43.jpeg

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #13,145 of 14,518
Mar 15, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #13,146 of 14,518
With this parade going around, I better dust off my Matchbox cars collection🤣😃😃

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #13,147 of 14,518
Collective Wisdom Required Please!! :blush:

I'm about to dive into the DV 336SE world and been trying to get up-to-speed with tube-rolling options after *a lot* of wasted money the other year tube rolling a Valhalla 2, which was just the wrong amp from the get-go!

The main thing I'm after is a relaxed listen - reigning in the Sennheiser HD-series upper-mids in particular (not so bothered about soundstage/resolution). I'm really sensitive to this region and lower treble. (If I get a thicker sound generally/more low end that would be a nice bonus!) Based on these requirements, I had been thinking I'd get the Mullard 6080 and the Ken Rad Dark Glass according to their relative merits... However, more reading of these discussions suggests to me that getting good synergy between the power and drive tubes is as important as selecting tubes based on their individual qualities!?

Does anyone here feel there's a better power tube pairing for the Ken Rad VT-231 dark glass than the Mullard 6080? RCA? Tung Sol? Thanks folks! :beyersmile:

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #13,148 of 14,518

I'm about to dive into the DV 336SE world and been trying to get up-to-speed with tube-rolling options after *a lot* of wasted money the other year tube rolling a Valhalla 2, which was just the wrong amp from the get-go!

The main thing I'm after is a relaxed listen - reigning in the Sennheiser HD-series upper-mids in particular (not so bothered about soundstage/resolution). I'm really sensitive to this region and lower treble. (If I get a thicker sound generally/more low end that would be a nice bonus!) Based on these requirements, I had been thinking I'd get the Mullard 6080 and the Ken Rad Dark Glass according to their relative merits... However, more reading of these discussions suggests to me that getting good synergy between the power and drive tubes is as important as selecting tubes based on their individual qualities!?

Does anyone here feel there's a better power tube pairing for the Ken Rad VT-231 dark glass than the Mullard 6080? RCA? Tung Sol? Thanks folks! :beyersmile:

Another suggestion for a bass leaning power tube is the GE 5998A. I'm not sure about its synergy with the Ken Rad Black Glass VT-231 if its too much together or not, though.

the Tung-Sol 6080/Ken Rad VT-231 is a nice pairing though in my opinion.

Also, I'll throw this out there - for the driver tube, and with an adapter, I would for fun give the 6F8G variant a try for full bodied/holographic sound with rolled off highs in the right amount for smooth listening.

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #13,149 of 14,518

I don’t think you’ll be happy with the Ken-Rad VT-231 black glass, it’s likely not going to have the mids you’re after. Now this really opens up many cans to different things but.. what particular genre(s) are you after with this setup? I’ll recommend some combinations for you.

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #13,150 of 14,518
Mar 15, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #13,151 of 14,518
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #13,152 of 14,518
Just wait until we start seeing Philips ECG E88CC slechte jongens…😜😳🤣

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #13,153 of 14,518
For all of the newer members who have never seen the definition of Bad Boy...
This is what I could find that designates "Bad Boy" but again, this was made up by someone who was genius who had more than his/her share of Sylvania 6SN7GT tubes:

1) 3 hole black T plates
2) Bottom getter flashing 1/3 way up the tube
3) Shinny silver top and bottom rectangular mica. The top mica has three small triangular edges bent down on each side.
4) Copper grid posts
5) Date code of 2xx(or possibly 1xx or 3xx) were 1, 2 or 3 represent 1951, 1952 or 1953 and xx represents the week.
6) Full black bottom base with Sylvania or JAN-CHS-6SN7GT in green letters

Something like this: Bay Boy, Bad Boy, What cha gonna do?

Are they any better than say other 6SN7 variations? I'm not one to say as I like many different versions of the 6SN7 in different amps under different genres, heck that's half the fun!
Are they worth the premium? I would say no unless you can find a good deal.

Happy hunting and accept no substitutes!

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #13,154 of 14,518
I just found the TRUE source of the "Bay Boy" moniker himself...Robert Hutton.

Here is a blog post where he brags about it...
"crap, I just about created the legendary Sylvania 6SN7GT 'Bad Boys' when I connected onto them with Neville in Australia. Can't be anywhere near those legends, right?"

Robert Hutton

I don't know the guy but his blog post speaks volumes about his personality.

Mar 16, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #13,155 of 14,518
I just found the TRUE source of the "Bay Boy" moniker himself...Robert Hutton.

Here is a blog post where he brags about it...
"crap, I just about created the legendary Sylvania 6SN7GT 'Bad Boys' when I connected onto them with Neville in Australia. Can't be anywhere near those legends, right?"

Robert Hutton

I don't know the guy but his blog post speaks volumes about his personality.
The guy does seem to be rather enamored with himself. One set of ears listening to tubes in 2 (OMG! TWO!) amplifiers? And he's a "true" expert? Wow. I hope someone can give me directions to his altar so I can run and kneel in front of it.

Seriously though, thanks for posting this and the description of the Bad Boy. To my ears the Bad Boys are nice sounding tubes, but I'm no expert. :laughing: They are not holy grails, and not worth huge prices. A good $50 tube IMO so long as it's NIB and (accurately) tests at NOS or better GM levels. I'd rather pay quite a bit more for a '50's Melz 1578. And depending on the amp and music menu for the day, I might even prefer a sub-$20 1950's Foton. Just my opinion, which like the expert above is heavily biased by my own personal preferences and components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back