6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #4,081 of 7,413
  Can anyone here tell me where to find info on testing the Western Electric 422a
Thanks

I assume you refer to a tube tester.

The settings should be in the Tube Setup Chart.

May 3, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #4,083 of 7,413
Just got myself a couple of 6SN7 for comparison on my WA22 paring with LCD2 hp: Tungsol BGRP, RCA brown base, standard Tungsol clear glass, Shuguang Treasures CV-181, and Brimar CV1988 black glass.  So far the BGRP wins with it's clear, light and airy presentation, bass is nice and tight.  Switching from it to the RCA brown base I can feel that the music got heavier, slower and overall thicker feeling.  The Tungsol clear glass is a bit better, but sounded dull compared to BGRP.  The Treasures is closer to BGRP but still falls behind slightly with its grainier/dryer presentation, but over all enjoyable.  The Brimar is the closest and I would choose its or BGRP depends on the mood, the Brimar is a slower, but feel smoother than BGRP, I like Brimar better for vocals and BGRP better for classical.  One thing I noticed is that the BGRP has a tad, just a tag, higher noise floor than the rest of my 6SN7s, noise disappeared once you the music started, even between songs I don't really hear it, but it's higher.  The Treasures has the least noise of all my 6SN7 tubes.

Are my observations consistent with that you guy are hearing?

May 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #4,084 of 7,413
  Just got myself a couple of 6SN7 for comparison on my WA22 paring with LCD2 hp: Tungsol BGRP, RCA brown base, standard Tungsol clear glass, Shuguang Treasures CV-181, and Brimar CV1988 black glass.  So far the BGRP wins with it's clear, light and airy presentation, bass is nice and tight.  The Tungsol clear glass is a bit better, but sounded dull compared to BGRP.  One thing I noticed is that the BGRP has a tad, just a tag, higher noise floor than the rest of my 6SN7s, noise disappeared once you the music started, even between songs I don't really hear it, but it's higher.

Are my observations consistent with that you guy are hearing?

I have the TSBGRP & TS clear glass with WA22 & my experience is similar to the above expect I do notice any noise floor with TSBGRP.

May 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4,085 of 7,413
I got these couple of days back & have been in awe since then.This for me is the undisputed King (I know it is not a 6SN7 but as it is a drop in replacement in most 6SN7 amps I am posting it here ). I will not use any adjectives as all the good ones are applicable to it, I have decided to stop buying anymore 6SN7 or equivalent tubes after these, I feel no need anymore, I have reached my destination
smily_headphones1.gif
. (please see my profile for my 6SN7 collection).

May 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #4,086 of 7,413
What is it and where can I buy it?

May 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #4,087 of 7,413
Mullard CV 181, these have the most crazy prices amongst 6SN7 (& equivalents) , I searched for these almost for 3 months before I could get them within my budget. Considering the fact that these have killed anymore urge for 6SN7 tube rolling (I had around 4 pairs of 6SN7 on my Ebay watch list to buy, which I have now promptly deleted), I consider it money well spent
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #4,088 of 7,413
Hmm how much did you paid for the pair? Any recommendation on where I can get a pair? My quick search didn't show up any lead. Thanks

May 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #4,090 of 7,413
That is a bit steep for me especially after the ts bgrp. I'll watch out for it when my wallet recovered. Thanks

May 9, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #4,092 of 7,413
 If anyone is interested have one pair of black glass plate Tungsol 6SN7  that i will sell for 325.00 shipped and paypal fees included. If someone is interested PM me before I list them on ebay and I have some Westinghouse and Sylvania I will be selling shortly. I also have extra pairs of 6F8G if anyone is interested PM me. I listed some other in the FS section.  The TS BGP  are no  longer available - sale pending- plent of other I listed in the FS section

May 10, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #4,093 of 7,413
   If anyone is interested have one pair of black glass plate Tungsol 6SN7  that i will sell for 325.00 shipped and paypal fees included. If someone is interested PM me before I list them on ebay and I have some Westinghouse and Sylvania I will be selling shortly. I also have extra pairs of 6F8G if anyone is interested PM me. I listed some other in the FS section.  The TS BGP  are no  longer available - sale pending- plent of other I listed in the FS section

What are the 6F8Gs you have for sale? Are they all matched? Any Tung Sols VT-99 in there?

May 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #4,095 of 7,413
I got RCA VT231 Grey glass from *Bay, plug to my SET 300B as input tube replace the Sylvania VT231 brown base.
Sound of the grey glass more warm, nice but loose detal and high...sound litle bit dull in my amp.

I change my interconnect (ic) cable from DAC to amp to Analysis Plus oval, I always use this IC when system feel dull.
The amp sound more detail, vocal of Ingram Washington more pleasant.

My personal opinion, the grey glass is perferct for vocal ; warm but soundstage not wide as Sylvania VT231 and lose details..
For all round music I prefer Sylvania VT231 brown base;wide, deep,detail

~ron~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back