6SN7 Tube Addicts
Feb 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #3,916 of 7,413
Thanks everyone. I've seen plenty of mouse ears before but one with so much flash inside is not common. My guess they are Sylvania because of the amount of flash inside.

The tube code: 322 236 suggests that these were indeed manufactured by Tung Sol (EIA code 322) in 1952, week 36. If they had been manufactured by Sylvania, then the EIA code would be 312. Of course, sometimes the EIA codes are not accurate, but to my knowledge, Sylvania never made a tube with mouse ears. So I would bet these are Tung Sol mouse ears with a rare top getter.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #3,917 of 7,413
  Talking about rare tubes, what about a Tung-Sol 6SN7 with Mouse Ears and top getter?

That was posted back in April 2013 George.

They look like early versions of the "mouse ear" GT, probably late 40's just after the round plates stopped production.  Tall glass and top getter is very uncommon for this tube.  If the asking price is fair get them, they're great tubes.

That's right Tyrell we talked about them then

Thanks everyone. I've seen plenty of mouse ears before but one with so much flash inside is not common. My guess they are Sylvania because of the amount of flash inside.

Unique but nothing special sound wise, they have the so called D foil type getter.
I prefer the normal ones.

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #3,918 of 7,413
Thanks for the info Stavros.  Listening to them now.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #3,919 of 7,413

most of the 6SN7 impressions could be found here 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

P.S. you can also Google "Tung-Sol Mouse Ears"-impressions 

EDIT;here is one 
http://digitalaudiodirections.blogspot.com/2012/06/6sn7-tube-comparison-part-2.html

the tung sol 6sn7gt black glass SQUARE PLATE is NOT the same as the mouse ears physically. they're different. i searched the 6sn7 thread before and only saw mentions of TS producing a BG square plate but nothing on how it sounded like compared to the round and oval.

unless you were quoting neogeo333 for the TS mouse ears. you stacked our quotes on top of each other making it seem like you were replying to both of us with those answers.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3,920 of 7,413
  the tung sol 6sn7gt black glass SQUARE PLATE is NOT the same as the mouse ears physically. they're different. i searched the 6sn7 thread before and only saw mentions of TS producing a BG square plate but nothing on how it sounded like compared to the round and oval.

ok ,sorry you didn't find what you were referring to 

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,921 of 7,413
  there is link I posted under my reply ..scroll down buddy 

both of those links don't mention a TS black glass 6sn7gt square plate. the second one doesn't even review a black glass at all. the reference thread only mentions a round and oval plate. more specifically on how the round plate sounds. i've looked through it before.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,922 of 7,413
  Thanks for the info Stavros.  Listening to them now.  
biggrin.gif

Tell us what you think of them.
If you find more please let me know I need a spare one for my collection, I only have one!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3,923 of 7,413

Tell us what you think of them.
If you find more please let me know I need a spare one for my collection, I only have one!!!!!!!

You know that Glenn uses somewhat of tight sockets for him amp right?  All my tubes when inserting or pulling from Glenn's amp I need more force than other amp sockets.  Well the TS in my picture just slide in easily.  After 1 hour of use the right channel had noise and then no sound.  Tapped the tube and sound back again.  And the pins looked fairly new too.  

Soundwise is good, lots of bass but not clean tight bass like the Raytheon 6sn7gt black plates with support rods which I had before switching them.  Other than that is a fairly good tube, definitely a collectors i mean addict tube because of the construction.  

If i find more I will let you know.  Maybe we can trade it for some of your famous cookies?
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #3,924 of 7,413
Hi George,

I hope they'll be fine, worth having for sure.

Sure I'll be nice to L, so she can make some and try send them over before Glenn eats them all!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3,925 of 7,413
Has anyone encountered a Western Electric 6SN7-GT ?  I have one with black glass and oval plates.  I am guessing it is made by Brimar or Mullard.  I will post a picture when I am able.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,927 of 7,413
Even before the pictures...I will bet on Tung-Sol :D

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3,928 of 7,413
I agree Rob.

Tung-Sol made other tubes for WE so why not 6SN7?

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3,929 of 7,413
My thinking exactly, Stavros.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #3,930 of 7,413
Rob, I expect some minor differences like the mica or springs at the top, or even a different getter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back