6SN7 Tube Addicts
Feb 8, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #3,901 of 7,413
I understand you are using the Sophias as output tubes.

I have never tried them, I am using a pair of NU-VT99 oval plates as my outputs in my SP  PPX3-6SN7.

It's all about what sounds best to you in your system according to your preferences.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3,902 of 7,413
Of course! My system is pretty much built to be analytic and will probably sound "fast" and "thin" to alot of people who prefer the warmer, smoother sound signatures. There's a good reason I went with the Benchmark DAC-1 instead of for example a BelCanto, and why the headphones I'll always love more are the SA5k, SR325i, DT990... I've heard several systems throughout the years that were much much more expensive than mine, but I spent years and thousands to try and pick the gear that fit my listening preference and it's rare when another system, even much more expensive, sounds better to my ears.

Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #3,903 of 7,413
That's right.

It's all about the music.

BTW I too like how my SR325is sound from my OTL's.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3,905 of 7,413
GTB spec tubes didn't exist in 1944 I'm afraid, which is what is acid etched into the top of your tube.  It does look like an early GTB type, you have a bottom D getter with the medium height glass, so I'd say mid to late 50's.  Most Ray GTBs are shorties with either top or side getters.  I'll bet it's a nice sounding tube.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,906 of 7,413
  GTB spec tubes didn't exist in 1944 I'm afraid, which is what is acid etched into the top of your tube.  It does look like an early GTB type, you have a bottom D getter with the medium height glass, so I'd say mid to late 50's.  Most Ray GTBs are shorties with either top or side getters.  I'll bet it's a nice sounding tube.

it's actually branded Crosley the Jap. Ray GTB next to here doesn't have as much bass  
 Date code: 4-52
MFg code: 280

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #3,908 of 7,413
Thanks for the link.

Thomas' comments are very wise.

BTW the photo shows a Ken-Rad not a Tung-Sol.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,910 of 7,413
I agree for emphasis and explanation .  The CKR was the Ken Rad abbreviation frequently found on military issue tubes.
I know the regular readers of this thread know this, I am only pointing it out for the interested newcomer or casual tube audio person.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #3,912 of 7,413
  anyone happen to know how a tung sol 6sn7gt black glass square plate sounds? i've read some info there and here about the round vs oval, but nothing on how the square plate sounds.

Are these any good sound wise? They seem weird, with mouse ears and Sylvania looking structure and long chrome glass.

most of the 6SN7 impressions could be found here 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

P.S. you can also Google "Tung-Sol Mouse Ears"-impressions 

EDIT;here is one 
http://digitalaudiodirections.blogspot.com/2012/06/6sn7-tube-comparison-part-2.html
My first impression was to turn up the volume. But after I let it warm up things got a bit better. They soundstage is about average as is depth, but more-so than the Channel Master above, things are a bit more cloudy. Female vocals are extremely polite. Not rolled off so much in the upper ranges but rather more diffuse. Voices sound as if they were paintings viewed through a screen door. When reverb is used on the voice, it is heard as a lateral decay more than a deep one. This diffuse quality leads to less focus than some of the better tubes. Transient response is also quite soft. Deep bass is there and about average yet lacks the definition that one gets on the better tubes. Treble is average with no grit or sheen. This is a very polite tube that would be best matched with a system that tends toward being bright and perhaps warm at the same time. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #3,913 of 7,413
They look like early versions of the "mouse ear" GT, probably late 40's just after the round plates stopped production.  Tall glass and top getter is very uncommon for this tube.  If the asking price is fair get them, they're great tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back