6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #166 of 7,413
Be careful regal you are going to become an addict!
BTW good choice, the BGRP TS are nice tubes.
After you get those think about the Brimar GTY Mullard ECC33 GEC B65 and the list goes on!

May 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #167 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful regal you are going to become an addict!
!

Already there just ordered a replacement pair of NU's that are supposed to be dead quiet. I really liked their sound in spite of the hum mine had so I'm giving them another shot.

I'm keeping my eyes open for the TSRP's but in an off-brand, I'm hoping there still some left for cheap.

May 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #168 of 7,413
If I remember well, there were some on ebay a couple of weeks ago.
I'll PM you if I see any.

May 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #170 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm keeping my eyes open for the TSRP's but in an off-brand, I'm hoping there still some left for cheap.

Smart move. There were ones branded Emerson and Arcturus. Same tube, usually sold for much less
wink.gif

May 4, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #171 of 7,413
Yes they were selling on ebay not long ago.

May 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #172 of 7,413
Yes Arcturus rebranded but often with tubes that were suspect and did not meet the demands of the originator. In the early years of the 1920's and 30's, Arcturus was a good proud brand but then went defunct and the label was used to rebrand. Most of the time the tubes were inferior. There were many rebranders early on with so many different names that no one could keep track of them. I have what are clearly some Sylvania balloon 27's from around 1930 that are NOS but measure all over the place. Not because they went bad but because they didn't fall into the correct range after being made. These tubes would be sold to rebranders and away they went. The name Arcturus became one of them.

May 4, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #173 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denys /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder about Sophia Electric 6SN7....anyone heard them ??

Denys

Yes, i've got some 'grade C' Sophia 6SN7 tubes from Washington Audio. They're not bad as current prod tubes. In my system, they sound rather neutral providing minimal colouration to the sound. I had some NOS RCA's and they sounded much warmer with a fatter bass and more rounded high's which may work for brighter systems. But with my tube amp, using quad 6L6c's (Tungsols) and JAN Cetron 5R4W rectifiers, it already provides a smooth and warm sound, so the Sophias fit in well. When running the amp with 5AR4 rectifiers with KT66's power tubes, the Sophia's tend to sound brighter, which is more suitable to rock, pop music.

May 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #174 of 7,413
Has anybody tried the Synergy HiFi 6SN7 yet?

May 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #175 of 7,413

Quote:
sillysally John is first class.
I bought a special TS Black Glass with square mica from him as well as my round plates etc, etc, etc....

I got my first pair of TS Black Glass round plates (1942) from John last Monday, there is no question that the matched pair I got are brand new NOS. They are perfectly matched and more importantly perfectly balanced (R/L) and imo because of how well these tubes display the imagery 3D sound-stage of the audio the R/L balancing when used as drive tubes is Paramount.

Anyway I agree John is a first class act and for these tubes a rare find and his prices are very fair for these tubes.

Quote:
Quote:markmaxx

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they really will have a run for the money to beat my Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z / 6SN7GT matched pair.
ss

Really? I have read some mixed reviews.. May ponder (is that a word?) this, option. Woo Audio wants $320.00 for the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z / 6SN7GT matched set,,they are not giving those things away. I bet I could find a set of Tung Sol 6SN7GT round plate 1940 to 1946 for close to that, No? Would you rather have the Tung-Sol or the Shuguang Treasure? Final answer...

Final answer is the Tung Sol that i got last Monday. Matter of fact I just ordered a second pair of the TS from John today.

ss

May 13, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #176 of 7,413
Pleased you liked the TS's sillysally.
They are not cheap but are well worth their money.

EDIT Enjoy your new pair!

May 14, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #177 of 7,413

Quote:

I got my first pair of TS Black Glass round plates (1942) from John last Monday, there is no question that the matched pair I got are brand new NOS. They are perfectly matched and more importantly perfectly balanced (R/L) and imo because of how well these tubes display the imagery 3D sound-stage of the audio the R/L balancing when used as drive tubes is Paramount.

Anyway I agree John is a first class act and for these tubes a rare find and his prices are very fair for these tubes.

Final answer is the Tung Sol that i got last Monday. Matter of fact I just ordered a second pair of the TS from John today.

ss

Can you send me a link to where you got your Tung-Sol tubes,,,Please.. Thanks for the comparison.. I am burning in a set of Tung-Sol mouse ears, for my WA22, I like them so far..With the HD 800, probably not enough gain for the K 1000. FYI. I bought the Balancing Act from the guy who was selling his spot in line,,LOL. 

May 14, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #178 of 7,413

Quote:

Can you send me a link to where you got your Tung-Sol tubes,,,Please.. Thanks for the comparison.. I am burning in a set of Tung-Sol mouse ears, for my WA22, I like them so far..With the HD 800, probably not enough gain for the K 1000. FYI. I bought the Balancing Act from the guy who was selling his spot in line,,LOL. 

Sure NP. John lives in Greece but there seems to be NP using USPS to ship. My first set was shipped on a Monday and got the tubes the following Monday. Well packaged and exactly what John said they would be like (Brand New). My second set was shipped last Wednesday  and John supply the tracking number so I know there on there way, probably have arrived in the USA by now but USPS tracking info is very slow to update.

ss

btw, As I have said these tubes take at-least 32 hours of break-in maybe more, that's all the hours I have on the first set.

I should also add that my Amp is a WA5LE maxxed + ALPS RK50. The other tubes I am running in this amp and psu are
Shugang Treasure 300B matched pair, Grade A and  EML mesh 5U4G rectifier tubes pair.

May 15, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #180 of 7,413
How does the Mullard ECC33 sound with the SP Extreme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back