6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 2, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #151 of 7,413
You could be right, but after trying the GE 6SN7GT that came standard with my amp also, that's when I started to look for one more high end set of 6SN7s. I found a fairly big difference between the GE 6SN7GT and the CV181-Zs.
Also keep in mind that I had close to 400 hours on the CV181-Zs so they are broken in , however my WA5LE still needs a lot more time before it is broken in.

ss

May 2, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #152 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am actually wondering how much effect the 6SN7 tube affects the performance of the WA5 amp in general. The tube is being used as a driver tube for the 300B power tube. I know a lot of people on forums judge the 6SN7 used as a power tube in amps. I'm guessing that when used as power tubes, the importance of having highly matched tubes as well as really high end tubes makes a much bigger difference in sonic characteristics than when used as a driver tube.

The 6SN7 is making the gain so it has a big stamp when used in the driver stage, its also being pushed to its limits driving a 300B.

May 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #153 of 7,413
Different drivers affect the amp's sound.
The CV181 is NOT a drop-in replacement for 6SN7s.

May 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #154 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different drivers affect the amp's sound.
The CV181 is NOT a drop-in replacement for 6SN7s.

Thats contrary to what I have been reading.

The Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z is advertised as a 6SN7.

Quote:

Shuguang Treasure 'Black Bottle' CV181-Z (6SN7GT) - MSRP US$320/pair Premium Grade A

Current stock is sold out. Pre-order with payment please.

Although this tube is modeled as CV181 by the Chinese manufacturer - Shuguang, please do refer to the tube data at bottom of this page to check compability with 6SN7 / 6N8P tubes. The treasure CV181-Z has heater current of 0.6A, not 0.9A as typical CV181 tube does. A comparable RCA 6SN7-GTA tube date has been added at the bottom of page for your convenience to compare.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/files/...c%20cv-181.pdf

http://grantfidelity.com/site/files/RCA-6sn7%20spec.gif

May 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #156 of 7,413
Miguel is it the one with the perforated(5 holes) plates?

May 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #158 of 7,413
Quote:

Miguel is it the one with the perforated(5 holes) plates?

Are you talking about this one?
tube_15001.jpg

May 2, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #159 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you all have the opportunity try the Russian 6H8C from the early '80s, I am currently using it in my MPX3 and I love its sound. Cheers.

Russian 1960's Vintage 6H8C/6SN7 are $15.00 each
beerchug.gif
at Up-Scale Audio. Is the 1960 diffrent than the 1980 version?

May 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #160 of 7,413
As far as I know, the 1578's as per KingStyles' picture from the Melz factory 1970's vintage are about $100 each.

May 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #161 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, Have you compared the National Union Gt vs the Ken Rad VT231. Descriptions seem similar and construction a bit too. I have a bad pair of the NU's that hum but the mid-bass is very seductive and a good match for my hybrid amp in that it keeps it from being too sharp. The mid range of the NU is a little too recessed for my tastes but I like whats there. The Ken-Rads aren't much more expensive than NU's these days so I was considering getting them instead to replace the bad pair of NU's.

I have 3 pairs of the Black-Glass Ken-Rad VT-231, and while they look similar to the NU, I don;t think they are. The Ken-Rad have much more bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No but the history of that tube turned me off, apperantly they were dirt cheap. Then some tube seller bought a crap load for pennies and started telling all the audio boards how great they are, the price has been really high on these ever since. I'd love to hear them but I'm a cheap person too.

I think that story is urban legend BS, no offense. The world does not work like that. One person cannot continually hype a tube such that gobs of people will continue to think it's great even if it isn't. I have heard a LOT of 6SN7's - I own several hundred. And the BGRP TS is a terrific sounding tube.

JMO, of course
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #162 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 3 pairs of the Black-Glass Ken-Rad VT-231, and while they look similar to the NU, I don;t think they are. The Ken-Rad have much more bass.

Think Ken-Rad has a thin line of getter at the bottom of the glass and NU has a thin line of clear glass at the bottom. Also, NU comes in grey too.

May 4, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #163 of 7,413
The 6SN7 is a tube I have been thoroughly enjoying for years now (in amps like the MPX3, Darkvoice 336i and Bada PH-12). The Bada, like the MPX3, uses three of them. Right now the Fitz-Maxxed PH-12 is tubed with 1x RCA 6SN7GT/tall bottle/flat, black plates and 2x Sylvania 6SN7GTB/short bottle/green label. I like the synergy and complimentarity of this combination.

One of my favorite tubes is the Sylvania 6SN7W/metal base. A matched pair of these running behind the Mullard CV181/black base was a great combination with the MPX3. My favorite combination on the Bada consists of 1x Mullard ECC33 with 2x Russian 1578.

May 4, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #164 of 7,413
On the Tungsol Black glass round plate, I have always found them to be excellent and never that plentiful and I have been using them off and on since the 1980's when tubes were still pretty darn cheap. I have some in NOS and some with some low hours and they are a treasure. I have a matched pair in Navy boxes that are a thick deep imprinted blue lettering. The boxes are as pretty as the tubes. Anyway, they are great tubes and were round plates because they were made on the 6SL7 tooling, as he 6SL7's were being made in round plate. The sound is affected by the electron interaction of a round plate vs a square or other shaped plate.

May 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #165 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that story is urban legend BS, no offense. The world does not work like that. . And the BGRP TS is a terrific sounding tube.

JMO, of course
biggrin.gif

I value you opinion, so now these are on my must have list. Damn you
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back