6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Apr 9, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #106 of 1,004
And so it goes!  Time for a bank line of credit - LOL!  I'm hoping to raise enough to cover at least half the cost of the HiFiMan EF1000 amp - then plead with wifey to combine the rest as the next 5yrs worth of B-day presents.  I need to stock up on three pairs of HG's -actually just one more pair.  As a pr will come from the Lyr and a pr from one of my intregrated it will replace as it's also a 50watt Class A speaker amp. :tongue_smile: :tongue_smile: :p

Good luck Tube God!

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #107 of 1,004
saw this just now, omg awesome!!!!! now we have a 6922 tube review thread here on head-fi, love it!!!!! 

beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #112 of 1,004
Apr 10, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #114 of 1,004

Good stuff Bob! Thanks for the insights. Point 5 will help a lot of new comers. I wish if I had known that when I got started in looking for tubes.

On point 2, I totally agree and can attest to how critical one gets when improving the system, now this can be good or bad as we enter the OCD realm. I just dropped a wad of cash on a new Bifrost Uber + USB Gen2 to complement the Lyr2 vintage tubes I recently acquired. After setting up a new listening room, my Oppo-HA1 which IMHO has an amazing DAC was moved to the office, and I was left with a basic entry DAC in the new listening room. It didn't take long to recognize that it is a weak link in the chain.

Needless to say, I am on hour 40+ of Bifrost burnin with the Isotek CD. Should cross the 100+ hours mark by mid-next week making my chain more rugged to play kick-ass music 
gs1000.gif

Cheers

And so it goes!  Time for a bank line of credit - LOL!  I'm hoping to raise enough to cover at least half the cost of the HiFiMan EF1000 amp - then plead with wifey to combine the rest as the next 5yrs worth of B-day presents.  I need to stock up on three pairs of HG's -actually just one more pair.  As a pr will come from the Lyr and a pr from one of my intregrated it will replace as it's also a 50watt Class A speaker amp.
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
tongue.gif

Please stop giving me new ideas.....
frown.gif
 This will never end....Hahahaha

That looks awesome bro! I assume the tubes are under the hood? And it needs 3 pairs?

I have been lusting after the MHA100 to replace my existing Integ Amp for speakers. Its a sweet looking machine with both HA and Speaker output. Its got that mesmerizing blue decibel meter. Have you seen one of those?

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #115 of 1,004

... is this thread in said forum?
confused.gif

Sorry you are right - I had set-up a thread in the computer audio and just went there by accident.  Oh well!  The kind folks at Headfi didn't seem to mind.  In the future I guess it should have been in? Misc?? 

But I love your attention to detail my friend!  Oskari is one of the most knowledgeable folks on the Lyr Tube Rolling thread for finding and deciphering obscure factory and date codes of vintage tubes.  I have learned much from him over the years.  (He is also quite attentive to spelling mistakes on tube manufacturers - Phillips is Philips!
wink_face.gif
)

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #116 of 1,004
  What about the EAT ECC88 Cool Valve ??  Musicdirect.com is selling the EAT ECC88 for $225 per tube! 

No  - that is the one new production I have not tried.  The price of admission is just to high!  For that kind of dough you can get some get 1st class vintage winners.

Please stop giving me new ideas.....
frown.gif
 This will never end....Hahahaha

That looks awesome bro! I assume the tubes are under the hood? And it needs 3 pairs?

I have been lusting after the MHA100 to replace my existing Integ Amp for speakers. Its a sweet looking machine with both HA and Speaker output. Its got that mesmerizing blue decibel meter. Have you seen one of those?

Very nice Mac - what a beauty!   The thing I have found (I describe in the review under Tubes vs Solid State) is the hybrid design (tubes in the pre-amp, solid state in the amp section) is optimal.  Capitalizing on the best of each audio paths.  Especially if the solid state amp section of the hybrid is run in class A, at least most of the time (adaptive class A). 

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #117 of 1,004
  Sorry you are right - I had set-up a thread in the computer audio and just went there by accident.  Oh well!  The kind folks at Headfi didn't seem to mind.  In the future I guess it should have been in? Misc?? 

Heck, I don't know. (I mostly stay in the amp forum.) This just seemed a very odd place for this thread. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #118 of 1,004
Hey Rb
Have you heard the new HiFIMan Amp? It's hybrid? So why 6 tubes? I'm going with Ragnarok as my ultimate amp. That said I've ideas on fi find a good tube pre-amp to make it a GIANT Lyr.

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #119 of 1,004
Hey Rb
Have you heard the new HiFIMan Amp? It's hybrid? So why 6 tubes? I'm going with Ragnarok as my ultimate amp. That said I've ideas on fi find a good tube pre-amp to make it a GIANT Lyr.

No I have not heard it yet - but my spider senses are telling me it will be some thing special.  HiFiMan are using it to show case those amazing HE1000's.  Rumor is you'll have to buy them together.

My thinking - the reason for the 6 tubes is the design of the pre-amp section will be like the Conrad Johnson 16LS with each section of the six tubes run in parallel to form each channel of signal.   At the time this was a revolutionary and outstanding design. The CJ 16ls was a smaller version of the supreme Conrad Johnson ART using the same design but with a dual-chassis design and 10 6922's.

Conrad-Johnson's "composite triode" philosophy boils down to an audio circuit with a single triode gain stage comprising a number of 6922 dual-triode tubes. The more tubes in parallel, the lower the output impedance. And yes, the use of a single stage means polarity is inverted at the preamp's output. The "composite triode" output stage is backed by zero loop negative feedback and no additional audio circuits, such as the often-implemented cathode follower. Either solid-state or tube, this functions as a buffer as well as lowering output impedance.

I had the 16ls and the purity of tone was amazing.  Running 6 Siemens CCa's got to be expensive though.  This near sota pre alone sold for $4,500 at the end of the 1990's.  The ART $25,000.
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/565/

I'm just guessing at this and we will know more once the  EF1000 is released later this summer.

I'm hoping to be 'chosen' for the in home review!
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #120 of 1,004
I hope your chosen to do a in house review too. Your knowledge of amps and tubes, will make a review of the EF1000 most valuable to me and others on head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back