6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Apr 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #76 of 1,003
Bravo, @rb2013 ... I have been collecting and listening to a wide variety of 6922 variants, but it's obvious you've already forgotten more about these tubes than I will ever know.

Great Work!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #77 of 1,003
  What a great piece of work!  Well done!

Thanks!

Bravo, @rb2013 ... I have been collecting and listening to a wide variety of 6922 variants, but it's obvious you've already forgotten more about these tubes than I will ever know.

Great Work!  
beerchug.gif

A labor of love - my favorite tube.  Thanks!
beyersmile.png

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #80 of 1,003
Great thread, one to add and I am sure it is in one of the 6 pages here is the Ediswan CV2492, I found I enjoyed this tube more often than not over the CCa's, Amperex's/Valvo or Mullards.  I typically enjoy the 7308 variants than 6922's overall in my Decware though, but it could just be the amp, as it is very transparent to the tubes being used.  

Setup right now is the Ediswan with the TeleFunken EL84's and a GZ37/U54 fat bottle.  I find this to produce the cleanest, detailed sounds with a very airy top end, excellent bass extension with the mid range LCD's love.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #82 of 1,003
  Great thread, one to add and I am sure it is in one of the 6 pages here is the Ediswan CV2492, I found I enjoyed this tube more often than not over the CCa's, Amperex's/Valvo or Mullards.  I typically enjoy the 7308 variants than 6922's overall in my Decware though, but it could just be the amp, as it is very transparent to the tubes being used.  

Setup right now is the Ediswan with the TeleFunken EL84's and a GZ37/U54 fat bottle.  I find this to produce the cleanest, detailed sounds with a very airy top end, excellent bass extension with the mid range LCD's love.

I had a pair of what I thought were Mullard CV2492's they finished last place.  Turned out they were fakes - a dealer who had read the review spotted them.  What year are your Ediswan V2492's? Me and a few of the folks from the Lyr tube rolling thread are hoping someone who has a deep experience and knowledge of the various UK vintage 6922 varients would start a thread.  I hear the CV2493's are very good.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #83 of 1,003

I had a pair of what I thought were Mullard CV2492's they finished last place.  Turned out they were fakes - a dealer who had read the review spotted them.  What year are your Ediswan V2492's? Me and a few of the folks from the Lyr tube rolling thread are hoping someone who has a deep experience and knowledge of the various UK vintage 6922 varients would start a thread.  I hear the CV2493's are very good.

Finding information about dates is a pain.  I did find a page specifically about Brimar valves (which were Ediswan, Mazda, Thorn, AEI and one or two others I believe), but it didn't seem to cover the military codes, only the standards for ECC88/E88CC.  

Based on the code on mine, it was made in the Rochester plant outside of Kent, England.  However, don't know the date code designation and research hasn't found much.  The Ediswan doesn't sound anything like my Mullard branded that say Made in Britain with the Mullard shield on it.  There are however Mullards which are CV designated that had the same 2493 designation but were made in a different plant.

If I had to choose a secondary for my favorite, I would say my Amperex 7308 (Made in US), or my Valvo 6922 (looks similar to my Amperex 6922).  I personally don't care much for the CCa in the Decware, but it could be entirely different in another amp so obviously won't get rid of it.  Same for the Telefunken CCa, which I think the 6922 sounds better than overall.

EDIT:  Helpful little site: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Decipher-Codes-on-Tubes-Valves-Mullard-Brimar-Military-/10000000008041563/g.html
EDIT:  Helpful little site 2: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g8hqp/audio/brimarcodes.html (Better of the two - Brimar Specific)

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #84 of 1,003
Finding information about dates is a pain.  I did find a page specifically about Brimar valves (which were Ediswan, Mazda, Thorn, AEI and one or two others I believe), but it didn't seem to cover the military codes, only the standards for ECC88/E88CC.  

Based on the code on mine, it was made in the Rochester plant outside of Kent, England.  However, don't know the date code designation and research hasn't found much.  The Ediswan doesn't sound anything like my Mullard branded that say Made in Britain with the Mullard shield on it.  There are however Mullards which are CV designated that had the same 2493 designation but were made in a different plant.

If I had to choose a secondary for my favorite, I would say my Amperex 7308 (Made in US), or my Valvo 6922 (looks similar to my Amperex 6922).  I personally don't care much for the CCa in the Decware, but it could be entirely different in another amp so obviously won't get rid of it.  Same for the Telefunken CCa, which I think the 6922 sounds better than overall.

Hmm thanks for the information. It is appreciated.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #85 of 1,003
Great thought!  I have toyed with the idea of a under $100/pr shootout.  I might do that - there are some great tubes in the $50-$90 range.

When I started rolling the 6922 20yrs ago I could by Siemens CCa Gray Shields for under $200/pr - from Dealers!  Well as the saying goes they're not make anymore '50's, '60s. and '70s tubes.  So the price will likely rise in the future. 

Especially with really totl stuff coming that use them - see the new HiFiMan EF1000.

Yes please do!!

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #89 of 1,003
Great review rb2013! It's really interesting to see the HG 6N23P come out of on top of the shootout!

Just one question about your PW 6922. Some people say every different revisions of PW sound quite different. Like the early Eindhoven-made 7L0 and 7L1 production (factory code "6") would be different from the late 50's Heerlen 7L2 and 7L3 with the common "delta" code, and the more elusive Hamburg Valvo tubes would also be different...
For example, I have 7L3 Heerlen PW from 1958 (and I agree with what everyone says about the PW traits). Any chance you could share the date and factory codes on yours for reference? Thanks!

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #90 of 1,003
Thanks for the excellent review! Your attention to detail is admirable. I have been satisfied with the Green letter Amperex 7308 from 1968, but, following your article I may have to try those Reflektors! Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back