6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Nov 8, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #737 of 1,003
Where did you buy the Telefunken at ?

After long research I ordered the tubes from this Italian shop: www.audioantiquary.com
You can select English language and the guy ships worldwide (VAT free for countries outside the EU, so the prices are actually much lower than what you see in the site) and shipping to Hong Kong was not crazy expensive.

It appears they have the strictest Mu (gain) and Ia (anode current) matching philosophy I have found online and each tube or couple of tubes is identified with a tag reporting all measurements (scroll among the pictures, you'll see the photos of the actual tube you are buying with all details).

Valerio, the guy who runs the shop, is crazy passionate and knowledgeable, I've been bombing him with questions which he always answered in almost real time despite the time zone difference!

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #738 of 1,003
After long research I ordered the tubes from this Italian shop: www.audioantiquary.com
You can select English language and the guy ships worldwide (VAT free for countries outside the EU, so the prices are actually much lower than what you see in the site) and shipping to Hong Kong was not crazy expensive.

It appears they have the strictest Mu (gain) and Ia (anode current) matching philosophy I have found online and each tube or couple of tubes is identified with a tag reporting all measurements (scroll among the pictures, you'll see the photos of the actual tube you are buying with all details).

Valerio, the guy who runs the shop, is crazy passionate and knowledgeable, I've been bombing him with questions which he always answered in almost real time despite the time zone difference!
Please let me know how your tubes perform like, when you receive it

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #739 of 1,003
just ordered 2 x ECC88 68J8 Amperex for pathos aurium. should arrive in the next days

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #741 of 1,003
no mate, from an italian ebay auction, a trust man who made me a good feeling

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #742 of 1,003
I had a wonderful pair of Telefunken CCa tubes. They were better than any Telefunken E88CC or E188CC tubes I ever heard. But they were not as good as the Western Electric JW 2C51 tubes I have now. On top of that, the Telefunken tubes cost 3.5 times as much. Seriously folks, you need to take a look at the 5670 family of tubes. They are better than the 6922 family.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #744 of 1,003
@Whitigir Just a quick update: the tubes are with me since weeks now but the new amp arrived in the wrong colour and the replacement unit arrived with a scratch on the front panel! Long story made short I’m sending back the amp for the second time and will have to wait another couple of weeks to try the tubes...

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #745 of 1,003
@Whitigir Just a quick update: the tubes are with me since weeks now but the new amp arrived in the wrong colour and the replacement unit arrived with a scratch on the front panel! Long story made short I’m sending back the amp for the second time and will have to wait another couple of weeks to try the tubes...
Ouch! Thanks for the updates. I hate it when it happens where you just have to spend extra time and shipping

Jan 2, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #746 of 1,003
Ouch! Thanks for the updates. I hate it when it happens where you just have to spend extra time and shipping
Finally the third amp has arrived, this time with no issues... Wow that was a long, bumpy ride!
Anyhow, I took some time to write a review of the amp in which I mention also tube rolling with the NOS 1962 Telefunken E88CC.
Check it out HERE if you are still interested.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #747 of 1,003
I had a wonderful pair of Telefunken CCa tubes. They were better than any Telefunken E88CC or E188CC tubes I ever heard. But they were not as good as the Western Electric JW 2C51 tubes I have now. On top of that, the Telefunken tubes cost 3.5 times as much. Seriously folks, you need to take a look at the 5670 family of tubes. They are better than the 6922 family.

You know it's funny, on a MHDT Labs thread, the opposite was stated.

What are the sonic differences between the tube families, in your opinion?

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #748 of 1,003
Better and more three dimensional soundstage. High levels of detail without harshness or clinical sound. More musical.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #749 of 1,003
Better and more three dimensional soundstage. High levels of detail without harshness or clinical sound. More musical.

I have to say that based on my limited listening with my Pagoda, that the GE 5670 it comes with, does indeed son's much better than an Amperex 7308 with adaptor. Now, who knows how much of an impact the adaptor has (not audiophile quality), but it really has me trying to find the most transparent, neutral, and information rich 5670 tube I can find.

The 5670 is so much more spacious, palpable, and clean, versus the 7308. It's really got me questioning things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back