6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Mar 7, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #752 of 1,003
Mar 21, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #754 of 1,003
I might be. We'll see how I like the 75s I get. I thought the single wire was only in 74 and 75?

Hey Folks,

My Valhalla 2 is sending loud crackles through the headphone out again. Probably through the line outs as well, but I have not checked. This set of tubes is 14 months old. They are warranty replacements from Schiit.

Anybody know which are the likely culprits? The input or the output side? I am thinking of getting two 6922 from AuditoryCanvas to see if that fixes anything. I might be able to find the original tubes to try swapping in pursuit of troubleshooting.

The last time (first time) the crackling happened it was not exactly the same and one of the 6922's was noticeably discolored. This time they look OK.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #755 of 1,003
Hey Folks,

My Valhalla 2 is sending loud crackles through the headphone out again. Probably through the line outs as well, but I have not checked. This set of tubes is 14 months old. They are warranty replacements from Schiit.

Anybody know which are the likely culprits? The input or the output side? I am thinking of getting two 6922 from AuditoryCanvas to see if that fixes anything. I might be able to find the original tubes to try swapping in pursuit of troubleshooting.

The last time (first time) the crackling happened it was not exactly the same and one of the 6922's was noticeably discolored. This time they look OK.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
May be your tubes most likely, easiest way to tell if you have other tubes to try out for trouble shooting, Is the crackling coming out from 1 channel? If it is swap the tubes around and see if the crackling goes to the other channel. @AuditoryCanvas is an excellent seller, dealt with him a couple months ago. Could maybe be your other non 6922 tubes as well? But I do not have any experience with your amp.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #756 of 1,003
May be your tubes most likely, easiest way to tell if you have other tubes to try out for trouble shooting, Is the crackling coming out from 1 channel? If it is swap the tubes around and see if the crackling goes to the other channel. @AuditoryCanvas is an excellent seller, dealt with him a couple months ago. Could maybe be your other non 6922 tubes as well? But I do not have any experience with your amp.

Thanks, As I said, I am wondering if it is more likely the input or output side.

I think it is in both channels but I will check again.

Y'all take care,
Robert

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #758 of 1,003
I found this thread from somewhere, just chimed in to say that I somehow have a Reflektor 6N23P-EB from 1974 that I got cheap and in very new condition. Is that very revered? I use it in my OTL 6080 tube amp (not a crack, nothing as crass as that)

It has been a really great tube but I haven't tried voshkods and I won't be able to find the same tube cheaply anymore but I can confirm it's a 1974 6N23P-EB

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #761 of 1,003
I hope this thread continues. I have have an audible illusions pre amp and I've been trying to stock up slowly. But tied up right now, but I'll report back on which I like best. Right now it's a set of sovtek 6922's. Not quite as good sounding as the tubes I had in there prior, but are holding up better. Very close in sound though. In fact I changed speakers and the synergy is technically better now. Anyway. If anyone wants to share a reputable deal or two after they grab some, please remember to do so here.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #762 of 1,003
I hope this thread continues. I have have an audible illusions pre amp and I've been trying to stock up slowly. But tied up right now, but I'll report back on which I like best. Right now it's a set of sovtek 6922's. Not quite as good sounding as the tubes I had in there prior, but are holding up better. Very close in sound though. In fact I changed speakers and the synergy is technically better now. Anyway. If anyone wants to share a reputable deal or two after they grab some, please remember to do so here.

There's a really active thread on the link below, which covers mostly 6922 types, as well as other compatible tubes (with adapters). Totally worth reading through most of the thread. Will take while, but well worth the read, and there's a good friendly bunch contributing daily.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-1145

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #763 of 1,003
Thanks, As I said, I am wondering if it is more likely the input or output side.

I think it is in both channels but I will check again.

Y'all take care,
Robert

it's good to have one spare pair of new/ish tubes, get some cheap and working tubes (audio doesn't really matter)
and when you start suspecting tube problems you have one set to compare and test if the problems go away or not.

cheers

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #764 of 1,003
20180411_113126.jpg 20180411_141846.jpg 20180411_141944.jpg CCa Valvo for my Felkis Audio Espressivo mk2.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #765 of 1,003
Are you using socket savers? Try without them if so, just in case it's those. Also try cleaning the tube pins, in case it helps.

Right channel only. Forgot about cleaning the pins, but it was so severe I doubt that would have helped.

For speed and price I ordreed the Schiit replacements. Interesting thing is the 6922 variants don’t appear to be the same model as the markings are different. I will try to remember to post pics.

Sent PM to AuditoryCanvas to see about availability and pricing of some better 6922’s. Hope to harass the Schiit folks as well.

After some runin, the Schiit set sounds good. Maybe not as good as the Rockets it shipped with but these need more hours.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert A. Ober

Users who are viewing this thread

Back