$600 good sub bass Custom/Universal iems recommendations
Jun 27, 2013 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sid12345678910

100+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hay guys[/size]

[size=10pt]So recently i have lost my beloved atrios mg7 with the custom sleeve on them and i am now searching for replacements. I have increased my budget allot since when I was buying my atrios witch was $250. My new budget is now $600. I am looking for mostly costume iems since they seem to be in the budget.[/size]

[size=10pt]The sound sig I am looking for is lots of sub bass rumble but more neutral mids and highs; I don’t mind a small amount of mid bass in my music either just not too much that it get in the way of the rest of the sound.[/size]

[size=10pt]The question is should I just buy new atrios and get another pair of custom sleeves or is their any good recommendations anyone can give me. The thing i don’t like about the atrios is the soundstage the slightly recessed mids and a bit of harshness in the upper mid-range, it’s quite a colored sound.[/size]

[size=10pt]I live in Hong Kong so it’s very difficult to find places to try custom iems. It’s not hard to find places to try universal iems…[/size]

[size=10pt]1964-Q - in budget[/size]
[size=10pt]Future Sonics MG6pro- out of budget[/size]
[size=10pt]Unique Melody Merlin - out of budget[/size]
[size=10pt]Future Sonic Atrio MG7 - in budget[/size]
[size=10pt]Aurisonics ASG 2 - out of budget[/size]

[size=10pt]Hybrid Iems seem to be the best of both worlds since it has a dynamic driver to do bass so you can feel it and the mid and high are done by BA for best clarity and accuracy[/size]

So are there any other recommendations?

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 15
UE 900, Westone W4, Phonak PFE232. The ASG-2 may also be up your alley.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Ya. The UE900 and W4 bass may not satisfy a bass head. But the W4 does provide very deep bass extension with a tight bass slam. However it is plagued by a slight veil in the lower mids due to a mid bass hump. But the sound is really balanced and non fatiguing making it a jack of all trades but nothing simply stands out.

If you're looking for mids and high, I would suggest you to take a look into the heir 4ai. It has the clarity as well as the vocals. Bass wise, it's present. But not in abundant amounts. It is tight and appears whenever the music calls for it with fast hitting and decay. However it still punches with authority. Treble is also very well extended.

If you're looking for sub bass with neutral mids and highs the closet I've came across will be the UM3X. But it does come with a small or constricted soundstage.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 15
I haven't heard the first 3 myself, but if I remember from reviews, they are all quite neutral and not too bassy. 

None are truly neutral. The UE900 is the closest, but has excellent bass depth. The Phonak would be the best choice here.

The OP stated he wants neutral mids? Not possible without dropping the entire treble.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 15
There's also the 1964 ears q universal (see the 1964 ears thread for details).  Not heard it but the emphasis seems to be on the bass going from reviews.

Cheers

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 15
[size=10pt]Again an emphasis that I do want a dynamic driver iem, i prefer a hybrid design but if not then a fully dynamic system, the only reason being is because dynamic drivers seem to be able to create a more realistic sub-woofer sound rather a more artificial bassy sound[/size]

[size=10pt]BA just don't seem to be able to create the bass that i want, its too fake sounding, there is no sense of air moving just the sound of the bass[/size]

[size=10pt]although i will take all your consideration and i will give them a try[/size]

[size=10pt]plz keep the recommendations coming[/size]

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
[size=10pt]Again an emphasis that I do want a dynamic driver iem, i prefer a hybrid design but if not then a fully dynamic system, the only reason being is because dynamic drivers seem to be able to create a more realistic sub-woofer sound rather a more artificial bassy sound[/size]

[size=10pt]BA just don't seem to be able to create the bass that i want, its too fake sounding, there is no sense of air moving just the sound of the bass[/size]

[size=10pt]although i will take all your consideration and i will give them a try[/size]

[size=10pt]plz keep the recommendations coming[/size]

You may need to brush up on acoustics...  BAs, if tuned properly can move air XD  The Phonaks, TF10, 3.Ai, and W3 are all examples of that.  ASG-2 is still on the table.  I'd also wait up on the 3DD by UniqueMelody as that may be a bassy IEM that may meet your needs.  The SuperDarts may also be something to look into. I've got the T-Peos coming in soon as well, so that might also be something of interest. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

You may need to brush up on acoustics...  BAs, if tuned properly can move air XD  The Phonaks, TF10, 3.Ai, and W3 are all examples of that.  ASG-2 is still on the table.  I'd also wait up on the 3DD by UniqueMelody as that may be a bassy IEM that may meet your needs.  The SuperDarts may also be something to look into. I've got the T-Peos coming in soon as well, so that might also be something of interest. 

this i know, i have personally tried the phonaks and i was seriously impressed, its just rare to see many BA iems that can move air like a real dynamic iems

and you have sparked my intrest in the 3DD thank you

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 15
I have a set of five driver universals that I like very much and pretty much meet your budget and desired sound. They were built by the Wizard, so at least for now I don't know where you would get them. If you see a set of used 5.0 here they might be perfect for you. Once things get settled around whatever drama happened with Wizard's previous employer there will probably be a place to get a new pair as well...

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
this i know, i have personally tried the phonaks and i was seriously impressed, its just rare to see many BA iems that can move air like a real dynamic iems

and you have sparked my intrest in the 3DD thank you

It is a lot more rare to find a BA to do what the dynamics do...  It's how they are tuned.  I hopefully will be getting my hands on the 3DD, hopefully is hte key word here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back