6 y/o boy floating away in a balloon
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #31 of 55
Little boys who lie get their fingers caught in b/w the sprocket and chain on their bicycle and they get no medical attention so they rot and fall off because they were bad. Then they have to wear the petrified finger around their neck on a chain so they remember not to lie.

That's what Mom used to tell me.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #32 of 55
yeah... and then he puked on the Today Show. that was my favorite part.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little boys who lie get their fingers caught in b/w the sprocket and chain on their bicycle and they get no medical attention so they rot and fall off because they were bad. Then they have to wear the petrified finger around their neck on a chain so they remember not to lie.

That's what Mom used to tell me.

Now THAT is parenting. The whole losing extremities to learn life lessons reminds me of that one episode of Arrested Development.

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #36 of 55
^^ i'm also a little suspicious of this whole event, now that we find out more about the parents.

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #37 of 55
There is no possible way that balloon could have carried anything remotely reaching the weight of a boy. Give me a minute and I'll do some calculations.

Okay, so a single cubic foot of helium in a balloon has a lifting capacity of around 0.0631lb. Assuming that the boy weight around 50lb, this would require about 800 ft^3 of helium. Even assuming it was that big, which it most likely isn't, then with a boy it would not nearly be able to reach that height or that speed.

More nerds calculations: Even if that balloon were a perfect cylinder, which it isn't nearly, a 16 ft diameter cylinder with a height of 5 feet is only around 1000ft^3. Meaning this balloon was probably only around 600 or so.

My not-quite high-school education at work.

ALeqM5j0hEHrYoBLj50mynQqm4b1WCyDuw

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #38 of 55
I can see the bumper stickers now;

"Ballon Boy was an inside job."

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #39 of 55
Now the truth has been revealed: it was a publicity stunt.What superb parents.

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #40 of 55
The "We did it for a show" line was such a dead give away.
Military aircraft, including a Black Hawk helicopter that costs more than $4,600 US an hour to operate, participated in the rescue efforts. Man there going to have fun paying for that one.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_love_hina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that I haven't seen much discussion anywhere about the biggest giveaway: there's an actual video showing the parents releasing the balloon before proceeding to freak out.

YouTube - Home video shows balloon

nail in the coffin, really

this family is clearly starved for attention

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 55
^ I'm pretty sure when the cops come to get him, he's gonna tear off his face and reveal himself to be Ashton Kutcher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back