Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Oct 15, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #736 of 762

Version 8 Beta is out now and available on www.lynxstudio.com - check their support forum.

For me, it's really a major improvement, makes working with the touch screen easier and more straight forward.
7 was good, but this is great. Highly recommended to try.

The Hilo Remote on Mac is not updated yet, but it works with 8 ok.

Peter

yes! it's great!

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #739 of 762
Don't know if that business is still honoring those prices but when it was a 2,5k unit was selling for 1.8k. But that was not the thunderbolt version. Worth asking though.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #740 of 762
Firmware v.8 has just been released - available for download from the lynxstudio.com site.

Quote from the release notes:
Version 8.0  January 9, 2017
  1. Complete redesign of user interface.
  2. Added Monitoring page to allow for monitor controller functionality.
  3. Added support for LT-DANTE.
  4. Updated About Hilo to show 8.0 application version.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #742 of 762
Well just pulled the plug and ordered one from a local dealer.  I also wanted to confirm the good folks at adkproaudio were willing to honor the price still.  I just had a local option as well.  Waiting patiently right now.  :)

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #743 of 762
  Well just pulled the plug and ordered one from a local dealer.  I also wanted to confirm the good folks at adkproaudio were willing to honor the price still.  I just had a local option as well.  Waiting patiently right now.  :)

nice nice nice nice!!!! 

Let us know what you think about Hilo!

happy listening! :)

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #744 of 762
Well I finally received my unit last night from tim at blink high end audio in boston.  My initial impression is I could not stop listening and stayed up way too late.  Tim had specifically recommended the lynx over the schitt products (lyr 2 in particular) indicating that I probably would not like the tube amps as much as I thought with my beyer t5p's.  While I could not preview a lyr I could listen to the lynx and was impressed enough to purchase.  The sound has a wider soundstage, depth and texture than I have ever heard before.  Pics and more descriptions to follow.  I'm also going to upgrade to a balanced cable.  I'm in audio heaven! 

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #745 of 762
I know I am suffering from new toy syndrome but this sure sounds good.  The music seems more alive, vibrant.  It almost has a 3d quality to it.  The sound overall is very neutral and paired well with my Beyerdynamic T5P’s.  I’m using my Fiio X5ii as a digital transport.  Apparently with coax out you have 2 options: D2P (DSD to PCM) and DoP (DSD over PCM).  The Lynx supports both but I have only played with the D2P mode.

There are up to 8 inputs that each can be routed independently.

It was a little tricky at first but I set up 2 routes: one from my pc/usb to headphones and the other for the X5ii to headphones.  I saved both as scenes and can switch easily.  The unit supports up to 8 pairings at top quality.

There are tons of controls and settings that are all accessed via the touch panel.   I'm using all defaults for now.

There are several options to show the audio out (or whichever channels you’d like).  I preferred the analog vue.

I was truly impressed.  The hilo adds a tonal quality that makes it seem like the musician is right in front of you.  You could hear the lingering sound of the symbols and the percussion had depth.  I immediately noticed a much wider soundstage in addition to the detail.  Its like there was a large audio canvas to paint against and the hilo filled it with wonderful detail.  The songs sounded different and I had that rediscovery experience which I will enjoy for some time.  While the hilo is not tubes (which is what I thought I wanted) it’s the best sounding piece of audio equipment I’ve heard.    I’m pretty oldschool when it comes to things with hafler/bryston/adcom/lexicon/rega style equipment.  One of the things that intrigued me about the hilo is I can also plug this in to the two channel portion of my home setup (experiment for the future) which I’d like to try with my rega turntable and accustat speakers.  With the push of a button I switched over to my pc and listened to music through tidal.  Again a night and day difference in sound.  There is just a lot of depth and detail in the music with the hilo.  In addition to setting it up with my turntable I’m also anxious to upgrade the cabling and try the balanced line out.  The hilo doubles the dacs in balanced mode dedicating one amp and dac to each channel.  Lots of listening pleasure to look forward to yet.  The cabling is next.
:blush:

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #746 of 762
The best sound IMO is the balanced out. The use of two DACs gives better separation and that three dimension presentation. I use that output into a pair of monoblocks into my HE6s. I've not been curious about anything else. The Head Fi habit is cured.

Congrats on your new toy and welcome to a lot of satisfied Hilo users. It's a great interface for analog and digital control. Once you get used to it, you're amazed more people don't have an interest.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #747 of 762
When you went balanced, did you use the line outs and remove the jumpers?  I am anxious to try the balanced option.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #748 of 762
  When you went balanced, did you use the line outs and remove the jumpers?  I am anxious to try the balanced option.

Balanced line out is the best.

Which jumpers?!

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #749 of 762
You are using the mono blocks so you don't need to change anything.  I read you can more than double the output of the line out by removing two jumpers and db out is actually greater than the headphone out. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #750 of 762
I'm curious how much of a difference the mx-hpa makes for you?  It looks like a nice device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back