~$50US Headphones for metal
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Myrdraal

New Head-Fier
I have been shopping around for the past 2 weeks for a good set of budget headphones for the office. As such it would have to be closed back; I can't stand in-ear. Leaking is an issue, sound isolation is not; it is a quiet office and hearing people talking to me would be more a boon than a curse, but that is not a criteria. Source will be iPod and onboard PC audio. I listen mostly to power/symphonic metal music. I received a set of way overpaid Wicked Hero headphones for Christmas, which made me realize that I do not like heavy bass in that type of music. At all. They were sent back whence they came. I am no audiophile by any stretch of the imagination so pretty much anything will probably sound much better than the $1 headphones I have bought in droves and am sadly used to. I have been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M30s and a few other headphones for a while, but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger on anything. I'm probably overthinking this, as usual. Any input is appreciated :)

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 18
I liked the Koss Porta Pro as budget headphones very much for metal (e.g. Disturbed, Machine Head, Trivium). They are cheap but deliver a lot of power.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 18
Panasonic RP-HTX7 has less resolution than the PortaPro, but VERY good sound isolation and comfort for the price.
I also like the Portapro, but sometimes the sound gets congested on more complex tracks, as I think they're sometimes a bit too bassy for metal - depends on the recording.
Take the early Metallica recordings for example: they have very light bass, so Portapros will sound great on these tracks, but on the later recordings which have a fuller bass, CAN sometimes sound a little bloated and congested.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 18
This is why I ruled the PortaPro out. I really hate a bass that can overshadow the rest of the music. When I read a negative review because the headphones "Don't have enough bass", I think "Great". I'm not listening to any dubstep or hip-hop here. The PortaPro also leaks, which would bother my coworkers. I'll look into the RP-HTX7.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 18
Take a look at this, in case you like In ear monitors:
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-BWAVZ-M2-M2-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004IK1VBA

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 18
If your budget can stretch a little I think the MDRV6 is worth a look.  I always found them "balanced", forward/energetic mids and highs balanced by equally impact-full bass.  The V6 bass Is definitely present but I don't think it over-powers anything else.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
but doesn't metal require at least some bass? I say stretch your budget and go for a citiscape uptown for $65.

This can depend on the unique preference of listener. 

Also no headphone under $150 can 'do it all'. It's quite difficult to find anything around that budget that suits a lot of genres. 
For example I love Portapros, but they destroy female vocals. Grado SR60i (all other Grados too) is amazing for metal, but is quite feeble for electronic music.

The biggest problem is that most closed headphones around this budget tend to have a prominent sloppy bass that muddies the mids, or makes them appear recessed or veiled, which is bad for metal.
Metal needs speed and attack, so bass light (like the Sony mentioned above)  at this budget is the best solution. 

But I agree... metal does need bass. Just at about 6 times the budget 
size]

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 18
How about the Koss DJ100?  They are pretty fast with Metal and sound pretty good if you ask me.  

They have sort of a Grado'ish Attack, Heavy guitars have a nice crunch to them..

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
How about the Koss DJ100?  They are pretty fast with Metal and sound pretty good if you ask me.  

They have sort of a Grado'ish Attack, Heavy guitars have a nice crunch to them..

When I saw those the "DJ" part in the name worried me. I take it they aren't as bassy as the name implies?

I'll look into them along with the ATH-M30 and the MDRV6.

When I read reviews, there is a surpsising amount of talk about bass. The only thing I want from bass is to not hear it too much, just to know it's there like any other instrument. People seem to want booming speakers. I want equilibirum. And clear vocals. I could listen to a vocals-only song, but instrumental is an automatic delete I won't even bother to try, even for a band I have been idolizing for 20 years.

I'm still in shock from my Wicked headphones with "enhanced bass". The booming...
basshead.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
When I saw those the "DJ" part in the name worried me. I take it they aren't as bassy as the name implies?

I'll look into them along with the ATH-M30 and the MDRV6.

When I read reviews, there is a surpsising amount of talk about bass. The only thing I want from bass is to not hear it too much, just to know it's there like any other instrument. People seem to want booming speakers. I want equilibirum. And clear vocals. I could listen to a vocals-only song, but instrumental is an automatic delete I won't even bother to try, even for a band I have been idolizing for 20 years.

I'm still in shock from my Wicked headphones with "enhanced bass". The booming...
basshead.gif

Don't let the DJ fool you.  I have no idea why they call them that in the first place??   Maybe the design but the sound NOTHING like a so-called DJ set.
The Bass is light, but is very tight and isn't " One note sounding", The mids are Fantastic, So smooth, LOTS of detail here..  Guitars have a great attack.  The Highs are a little softer then I like, but the are nice and crisp..I add about 2db to the top end..And it's perfect for my taste.
Megadeth, Rush, Metallica and the sort sound fantastic on these...  I was rocking out to Fates Warning and couldn't believe the details these have for such a low price.

Another can in the same range is the CAL, I own the Denon AH-D 1000, the Cal has the same driver..  It's my Favorite can ever under $150, But the price is $60, So it's 10 over your budget...If you could stretch it to $60, I'd take the CAL but at $50 the Koss is just as good!!!

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 18
Ditto on the CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live) are tremendously good for rock and metal, It goes down to sub-bass easily yet in a tight and controlled manner ,espcially for budget phones, and offer nicely deifned and airy sounstage. They do leak some as they aren't seald but nothing serious compared to an open-back iirc.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Ditto on the CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live) are tremendously good for rock and metal, It goes down to sub-bass easily yet in a tight and controlled manner ,espcially for budget phones, and offer nicely deifned and airy sounstage. They do leak some as they aren't seald but nothing serious compared to an open-back iirc.

+1,  I liked my Denon 1000 so much I got rid of my 2000's, That's how good they are at least to my ears...  The Cal at $60 is a no brainer!!!   I'd pay over $100 and wouldn't think twice!!!

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
The more I shope the more I realize how we're getting screwed in Canada. M30s go for $70, DJ100 $80 and CAL! $90-130  :/

Check this review on the Koss, The guy is DEAD on!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkPqjWfD6w

Wanted to add that the TBSE has been called a DJ100 just with a travel case and removable cable, In Fact it is not a DJ100, it's a 200...  I bought them and returned them for the DJ100
Maybe that's why a few people didn't like the TBSE, the DJ100 sounds better ( Even tho they supposed to be the same driver)

I don't go by graphs for sound, but you can see they are different!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back