~$500 close-eared, over-eared headphones that I need to order TONIGHT!
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:
None of the W series will tilt in-out like the ART monitor cans do (and like most headphones ever made will do) - they only swivel. That's why you see all of the threads about bending W series headphones headbands (be it W5000, W1000, W1000X, W3000ANV, etc).
I should mention, this has nothing to do with the wings, but the mounts for the cups themselves. The W series mount on a swivel to the wing mechanism, while the A series mount on a gimbal (which itself is hooked to the swivel). I know there's a few generations of wing mechanism represented across time, and some behave better than others.

I am seriously confused by what you are trying to say here. ATH-AD2000 has same swivel only earcups as W5000, what particular cans you are referring to, do you mean new X phones?

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #32 of 53
I am seriously confused by what you are trying to say here. ATH-AD2000 has same swivel only earcups as W5000, what particular cans you are referring to, do you mean new X phones?

What do you mean? None of the W series tilt - it makes their fit even more temperamental than the normal ATs that *do* tilt. That's all I'm saying. I don't see why the W5000 being similar to the AD2000 matters.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #33 of 53
So, what did ya end up getting?

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:
What do you mean? None of the W series tilt - it makes their fit even more temperamental than the normal ATs that *do* tilt. That's all I'm saying. I don't see why the W5000 being similar to the AD2000 matters.

Because AD2000 is not W and it doesn't tilt either which makes your original statement "and the W series are the worst of the bunch (they don't tilt)" misleading.
So which ATH models "tilt", which models do you consider "normal" in "than the normal ATs that *do* tilt"?

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:
Nothing at all yet. Unfortunately, All the options I had were thrown out and I haven't gotten enough recommendations. I'll just have to keep looking. Still, any recommendations would be great.

If you are looking for closed by design only and not very sealed, W5000 perhaps could be found in that price range used.
This review compares it to W3000ANV and W1000X
http://www.headfonia.com/wooden-kings-w1000x-w3000anv-and-w5000/

To day they are my favorite.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #40 of 53
I'm also looking to get a pair of closed over-the-ear cans in the nearly immediate future, maybe slightly under $500 but still same ballpark. Here's the list of the choices I'm considering—I figure this might help you, and if not, I might be able to get some feedback on it for my own. I'm going for a deep and immersive but still accurate sound, not opposed to a highly present, well-developed lower-end so long as I still get an beefy, detailed mid-range and airy, sparkling highs.

In alphabetical order:

AKG K550
AKG K267 Tiesto
AudioTechnica ATH-M50S
Harmon-Kardon CL
Philips Fidelio L1
Polk UltraFocus 8000 NC
PSB M4U 2
Sennheiser Momentum
Shure SRH840
UltimateEars UE6000

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #41 of 53
And anyway, for your purposes, I'd imagine the K550s would get the job done pretty well—although you should check out the PSB M4U 2; it's pretty new, but has gotten rave reviews from most folks here as well as various highly-regarded outside reviewers—just won Sound and Vision Magazine product of the year, among other things.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:
I'm also looking to get a pair of closed over-the-ear cans in the nearly immediate future, maybe slightly under $500 but still same ballpark. Here's the list of the choices I'm considering—I figure this might help you, and if not, I might be able to get some feedback on it for my own. I'm going for a deep and immersive but still accurate sound, not opposed to a highly present, well-developed lower-end so long as I still get an beefy, detailed mid-range and airy, sparkling highs.

In alphabetical order:

AKG K550
AKG K267 Tiesto
AudioTechnica ATH-M50S
Harmon-Kardon CL
Philips Fidelio L1
Polk UltraFocus 8000 NC
PSB M4U 2
Sennheiser Momentum
Shure SRH840
UltimateEars UE6000

I can tell you that the Sennheiser Momentum's are not gonna fit your needs. Also, the M50's are very V shaped in that the mids are quite recessed. Also, the Fidelio L1's are not gonna make it either. I don't know about thee UE6000's. Though, they seem interesting. You might want to try the Philips CitiScape Uptowns. They're REALLY impressive. Especially for $150. Try em out at bestbuy or wherever. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #43 of 53
Because AD2000 is not W and it doesn't tilt either which makes your original statement "and the W series are the worst of the bunch (they don't tilt)" misleading.
So which ATH models "tilt", which models do you consider "normal" in "than the normal ATs that *do* tilt"?

Why do you want to argue?

The ART Monitor series tilt (how many times have I said this now?), and there's a number of less popular ATs that tilt as well (the ESW9 for example); the AD2000 not tilting has absolutely no bearing on this discussion, thread, etc - it's useful information, but I don't see why almost a page has been devoted to going back and forth on this (in a thread about closed headphones...).

All of the WX000 headphones are out. I don't like headphones with the two bars and suspended padding for headbands. Also, they aren't very portable. I've been looking at the Denon AH-1100's. Are they any good for what I'm looking for? (http://www.head-fi.org/t/641843/500-close-eared-over-eared-headphones-that-i-need-to-order-tonight  <-- THIS is what I am looking for)

The D1100 are not ~$500 headphones - although it doesn't surprise me that they're probably being gouged pretty heavily these days (sadly). They're the bassier replacement to the D1000 (which is the same as the Creative Aurvana Live!) - you might enjoy them, and they aren't terrible. The CAL! are probably a more balanced choice (and will probably be available for less). If you want a very ritzy D1100, you might track down an A100 (would have to be used). Have you tried the K550 yet?

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #44 of 53
Based on the OP's over ear, closed requirements and budget, I can only offer the Senn Momentum. The T70P is one of the most polarizing cans out there and quite honestly is just not my cup of tea. I've heard the Momentum's many times and I shud be getting them after the holidays

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:
Why do you want to argue?
The ART Monitor series tilt (how many times have I said this now?), and there's a number of less popular ATs that tilt as well (the ESW9 for example); the AD2000 not tilting has absolutely no bearing on this discussion, thread, etc - it's useful information, but I don't see why almost a page has been devoted to going back and forth on this (in a thread about closed headphones...).
The D1100 are not ~$500 headphones - although it doesn't surprise me that they're probably being gouged pretty heavily these days (sadly). They're the bassier replacement to the D1000 (which is the same as the Creative Aurvana Live!) - you might enjoy them, and they aren't terrible. The CAL! are probably a more balanced choice (and will probably be available for less). If you want a very ritzy D1100, you might track down an A100 (would have to be used). Have you tried the K550 yet?

I don't know where to find the K550's to test them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back