~$500 close-eared, over-eared headphones that I need to order TONIGHT!
Dec 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

JD1993

100+ Head-Fier
So I need to place an order on good closed-back over eared headphones tonight so I can get them by friday (With 1 day shipping). I listen to all types of music so a more versatile pair would be better. I don't want any recession in the mids, or too much bass. Also, imaging is very important to me while soundstage isn't as much. They should be comfortable because I'd be using them on long car/plane/train rides, etc. I'd also use them at home, but I have a pair of open-eared. I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic T70P's, and I like those a lot but I'm not sure about it. Would those fit what I need? Any other recommendations? Thanks a lot, everyone. :D 

ALSO: Which one do you think sounds better, T70p, Sennheiser Momentum, or Sony MDR-1R for what I am looking for.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 53
Logitech UE6000

or

Sennheiser Momentum

Review found here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/category/full-sized-sealed-headphone-reviews

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 53
I would look into the amperiors too. The momentum is warmer than the amperior, has less definition in the bass as well as less punch. If you listen to anything aggressive such as fast paced rock or electronic music, the amperior would be a better choice, but for slower paced music, the momentum is definitely better imo. Honestly though, if i had to pick between the two, i would go with the momentum. It's stylish, comfortable, and really does sound good for a closed headphone. I haven't heard the mdr-1r or t70p so i can't comment on those. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 53
I thought the Momentum, while not quick like a Beyer, still did fine for electronic music, trance and the like. I put some Infected Mushroom on and it was nice. Not mindblowing or anything, but it will certainly do the job. The only thing to know is that they are BARELY circumaural headphones... I don't think Sennheiser should even be allowed to call them that. My ears are really not that big and they didn't fit all the way around my ears. But in every single other regard I liked them a lot. I just had to return them because they did not fit me well. Made my ears twitch from weird pressure.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 53
I would not suggest the T70s - they aren't "bad" but they are certainly overpriced (go find MalVeauX's review for a polite treatment of their issues). They do not sound like $669 should sound. :frowning2:

In your price range, there's a few I'd suggest, few that you can have by Friday (but such is reality):

- Kenwood KH-K1000 (will do everything you want in spades, except arrive by Friday)
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A (If you live near a Magnolia Best Buy, you can go buy them in person (and yes while you can find them online for insanely low prices, they're one of the most faked headphones ever made, and I'm very skeptical of any online dealer claiming to sell them (and Amazon is *not* authorized)))
- B&W P5 (ditto to above, except you can get them from Apple too (and B&W might sell them on their website))

Of the three above, the ESW9A are probably the winner; you can get them relatively easily, they fit your budget, they have *sublime* mids, are drop-dead gorgeous, and will handle all genres respectably. They tick off all of your boxes very well; the only think the KH-K1000 will give you over them is a bigger soundstage. The P5 will give you more isolation (but don't sound as good imho).

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:
I would not suggest the T70s - they aren't "bad" but they are certainly overpriced (go find MalVeauX's review for a polite treatment of their issues). They do not sound like $669 should sound.
frown.gif

In your price range, there's a few I'd suggest, few that you can have by Friday (but such is reality):
- Kenwood KH-K1000 (will do everything you want in spades, except arrive by Friday)
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A (If you live near a Magnolia Best Buy, you can go buy them in person (and yes while you can find them online for insanely low prices, they're one of the most faked headphones ever made, and I'm very skeptical of any online dealer claiming to sell them (and Amazon is *not* authorized)))
- B&W P5 (ditto to above, except you can get them from Apple too (and B&W might sell them on their website))
Of the three above, the ESW9A are probably the winner; you can get them relatively easily, they fit your budget, they have *sublime* mids, are drop-dead gorgeous, and will handle all genres respectably. They tick off all of your boxes very well; the only think the KH-K1000 will give you over them is a bigger soundstage. The P5 will give you more isolation (but don't sound as good imho).

I looked at the ESW9A and I really liked them. Unfortunately they're small. They'd be more like on-ears to me and I can't stand on-ears. Also, I can't find the Kenwood's on a place I feel comfortable buying from. I tried the B&W's and I just didn't like them.

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:
I looked at the ESW9A and I really liked them. Unfortunately they're small. They'd be more like on-ears to me and I can't stand on-ears. Also, I can't find the Kenwood's on a place I feel comfortable buying from. I tried the B&W's and I just didn't like them.

The B&W's are no good IMO

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 53
The Kenwood come from Japan - AudioCubes is where I'd suggest you go; excellent service and so on, but EMS drags its feet on shipping (it'll take a week or two).

The ESW9 are certainly on ears for everyone, and while I can understand your aversion (I used to think the same), I'll say the ESW9 still managed to win me over. I can't stand many other on ear cans though. Really - if you can try them at a BB near you, you've got nothing to lose; they're worth a look at least.

I noticed in your profile you have the QC15 - are you looking to replace them with these closed cans? Or augment? Or what? I ask because I think its worth noting that you will be hardpressed to overall beat the QC15 at their game. This doesn't mean they're the best ever - they just fill their niche very well.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 53
I hate the QC15's. The sound is decent. The comfort is extremely amazing, and the noise cancelling is great. But with any pair of headphones, I'd give up a little bit of isolation for better sound. The QC15's had a really sterile and boring sound to me. Everything just sounded really fake, and unimpressive. The bass was pumped up, mids a bit recessed, and the treble forward. It sounded amazing in only 1 or 2 genres. Overall, a huge disappointment. 

I'm looking to replace them with something a little higher up. I'll probably just sell the QC15's in the end, because they just take up space, and I'd rather have someone who will actually use them, own them.

Also, I don't like the Kenwood because I can't wear headphones with those two bars and the strap as a headband. It drives me nuts. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 53
How about the D600? They retail for 500 but can be found for ~350-400. A bit on the bassy side but very nice midrange performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back