50 Dollar Headphones
Mar 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #18 of 26
So which headphone is better?  The Superlux HD668B, Superlux HD681 or the Samson SR850?  I expect the 668b > 681?

I am leaning towards the Superlux HD668B atm as it has a kick arse review on Headphonica:

http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/

From what I've read, general impressions seem to be that the 668B is the best, with the SR850 possibly equaling it(though the lower impedance might mean it's slightly less detailed). The samson might have a bit more bass by default. The 681 seems to be rather polarizing for having a much harsher sound and generally seen as inferior at least without some extensive modding. The 668B would probably be your safest best.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #19 of 26
Hey,

Just read this thread, but I can’t find the Superlux HD668b online cheaper than around $60. I am a NYC resident. Does anybody know where I can get these cheaper, either online or in stores? Thanks.

M

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 26
Hey,

Just read this thread, but I can’t find the Superlux HD668b online cheaper than around $60. I am a NYC resident. Does anybody know where I can get these cheaper, either online or in stores? Thanks.

M

If you want to get the Samson's B&H has them for 50. Word on the street is the Samson's are very similar to the 668B and probably share the same driver. The samsons are also just 37 bucks on amazon

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 26
Well the Samsons are no longer 37 bucks on Amazon (the seller only had one and they sold it, but not to me). I actually bought two Samson's because well I needed 2 (one for me and another for some one else of course:). By the way you can find Superlux HD 668b on Amazon uk <www.amazon.co.uk>. The only difference I can find between the Samson's and the HD 668b (other than the brand) is that the Superlux headphones have a detachable cord and a different head band design. But act fast because there is only one available from the seller on Amazon uk.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #23 of 26
Feedback.nl and Thomann.de stock all Superlux models. They're ridiculously cheap. For all you Americans, just send both companies an email asking them for a quote incl. shipping overseas. Both are very well respected audio gear resellers in Europe and offer some of the best customer service around.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #24 of 26
A place to buy Superluxes for USA people it's AudioHipster:
http://www.audiohipster.com/AudioHipster/AudioHipster.html

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 26
Well the Samsons are no longer 37 bucks on Amazon (the seller only had one and they sold it, but not to me). I actually bought two Samson's because well I needed 2 (one for me and another for some one else of course:). By the way you can find Superlux HD 668b on Amazon uk <www.amazon.co.uk>. The only difference I can find between the Samson's and the HD 668b (other than the brand) is that the Superlux headphones have a detachable cord and a different head band design. But act fast because there is only one available from the seller on Amazon uk.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine! I'd also like to point out that the Superluxes are higher impedance, which generally means some more refinement in sound, but I don't think it will be major if at all more refined.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #26 of 26
Audiohipster is the cheapest place I can find for the HD668. And about the Samsons, what's been said is that their treble is smoother than the HD681, much better mids, and their bass isn't as deep, around the same sound sig as the HD668.

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=review&action=display&thread=5788

And another suggestion, I REALLY like the Prodipe Pro800 for pop and electronic. For jazz, I can assume the more neutral Superlux/Samson is better, but I don't have a pair to confirm this, as much as I'd like to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back