50 Cent feud (rant): Who understands those rap guys anyway?
Mar 7, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #31 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I was referring to the stuff on the airwaves, as it was an extension of what was said before in the post. LOL, the last thread about this pretty much went the same way as this one. I will say that anyone who likes rap has the right to listen to it all day long, just as anyone who likes death metal, violent movies, and GTA. Some people take it a little too seriously (just look at the way some people mimic the style of rap and pop stars). I will never understand the appeal of rap (beleive me, I have heard plenty of it at work), and I'm sure some will never understand the appeal of other genres of music. For that I say, to each their own.

Thanks for the great comment. I certainly don't expect a lot pf people to love or even like rap, I just don't like the fact that some classify those that listen to rap as idiots, thugs, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Least talented individuals? Do you even know the hours of work these guys put in their mixes and lyrics? Thats seriously one of the dumbest post ive seen on these forums. Wether you like the music or not is your opinion, but to say that rappers are not talented while being clueless as to how hard they work, is just preposterous. You need to be more open minded.

I disagree strongly.

Why? Becuase EVERY OTHER artist also has to deal with getting mixes and lyrics down properly. Part of being a musician is having to make those decisions, and having to make their songs perfect.

There is absolutely no denying that there are many tallentless trolls who make it to the top. 50 Cent is a great example. The guy can't even speak/move his mouth properly because he's been shot so many times! Could a one-handed guy become a basketball star? Quite unlikely.

There ARE tallented rappers out there. Take the beasty boys. They have a great attitude (which even I enjoy hearing sometimes!), and are actually GOOD at rhyming. They all play musical instruments and are very good at doing so. HOWEVER, the overwhelming majority of rap is simply people talking fast, adding in as much tasteless, senseless trash as they can to become popular. Afterall, what's the point in rap if the little kids don't get their swear words in?

I hate this idea that because these people come from broken homes, and because they comited crimes in the past and did bad things in the past, that now they can just influence OTHERS (their listeners) to do the same, and now it's considered GOOD? Please!

EyeAmEye: You summed it up beautifully. Why couldn't I be alive during the days when the popular music consisted of The Doors, The Beatles, The Who, Floyd, The Talking Heads, and Zeppelin?

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #33 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
EyeAmEye: You summed it up beautifully. Why couldn't I be alive during the days when the popular music consisted of The Doors, The Beatles, The Who, Floyd, The Talking Heads, and Zeppelin?

Yeah but it also consisted of The Jackson 5, David Cassidey, Tony Orlando, Sonny and Cher, The Osmonds, Bee Gees, etc.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #34 of 81
This is my opinion on this, 50 cent has skill he rhymes good he has flow and he writes amazing songs, on his new album theres a song called baltimore love thing, its amazing most people when they hear it think its about love a girl but its about drugs. It takes skill to do this in a song, and he does things like this in all his songs. Same with Game, and alot of other rappers.

To me it seems like the only reason most of you guys dont liek rap is cuz they talk about killing, degrating women, and drugs, but if you grew up like they did you would be the same way. This is all thye know about and so thats what they rap about. Also most of you guys that are dissing rap dont really listen to the songs, you hear the songs, you dont listen to it over and over listening to the lyrics and trying to understand the song.

And rap isent jsut mainstream, the old school stuff is the best, those guys have skillz cuz they had to to make it back in they day when not many people knew about rap or liked rap, those are the people that brought it to the mainstream and made people like rap, and they did it with awsome rhymes and beats.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

There ARE tallented rappers out there. Take the beasty boys. They have a great attitude (which even I enjoy hearing sometimes!), and are actually GOOD at rhyming. They all play musical instruments and are very good at doing so. HOWEVER, the overwhelming majority of rap is simply people talking fast, adding in as much tasteless, senseless trash as they can to become popular. Afterall, what's the point in rap if the little kids don't get their swear words in?

The Beasties are adequate at rhyming. Possibly above average for their time, I don't know. I like the Beasties, but I have to be honest here: if you take their best 5 or 10 tracks and compare them to the best 5 or 10 from Eminem or Jay-Z, the Beastie Boys will look extremely primitive in that comparison, in terms of rhyming, rhythm, and probably depth of message as well. Eminem will string together more 4-syllable rhymes in a verse than the Beastie Boys did in their career.

My point only being, there is a lot of talent even in mainstream rap that people don't recognize because they don't actually pay attention due to all the f-bombs and n-bombs. Which is fine, because I can't stand that attitude either, but then people make generalizations about the talent of rappers when they don't listen to any of the verses.

Mar 7, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
I am at work and only a few minutes ago heard someone blasting their car radio. It was some awful rap song that sampled "O Fortuna". Worst use of one of the most famous songs in history. They should ban hip-hop from sampling classic songs, they just ruin them.

OT
Over the weekend I was at a party and there was some rap song to the bass opening to crazy train...played over and over and over again.
I was so stoaked when I heard it, only to be sorley dissapointed when rap, not Randy Rhoads came in.
frown.gif

/OT

Mar 7, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
This is my opinion on this, 50 cent has skill he rhymes good he has flow and he writes amazing songs, on his new album theres a song called baltimore love thing, its amazing most people when they hear it think its about love a girl but its about drugs. It takes skill to do this in a song, and he does things like this in all his songs. Same with Game, and alot of other rappers.

That is an ignorant statement, im sorry. If 50 and The Game were to battle each other, it would be the equivalant of the special olympics for Rap. Im pretty sure that both have had ghost writers, as well as, image consultants. Sadly, of most mainstream rap, eminem has the most credibility, due to some freestyle battling he did ALONG time ago. Rap has gone to the ****ter. Every mainstream release, by once promising artists, has been bad. 50's new album is ALOT worse then his previous effort, which wasn't very good. The Red Light District was also a pretty piss poor follow up for Ludacris. Eminems Encore was terrible, two songs on the release were tolerable and faintly sounded like the brillance that was the Eminem Show. Reaching back to last year, The Black Album, while better then most of Jay-Z's newer stuff, wasn't up to Reasonable Doubt or The Blueprint. I haven't had time to listen to Nas's new album, illmatic was a classic, but much like Jay-Z he has yet to top his first release. I haven't heard Rythm and Gangsta, but I am not holding my breath.

Mar 7, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #38 of 81
I love rap ... at least some of it. While I do enjoy and recognize artist such as Eminem (edit:I haven't heard Encore,) the Roots etc, I'm not too deep into the American rap-scene. The gangster attitude (which some rap(pers) suffers from) kills it for me.

What I do not understand is how these sick people who clearly suffer from negative social inherits have become ideals to younger people. Instead there should be focused on WHY they have turned out as they did. Then some might say that it is the American way and that it is jolly good that they have gotten out of that environment but there's still a bunch of people who can't rap and haven't learn to read or write.

Again, I love rap music, but as they have gained their position in the medias they sure could use it more effective rather than making the ghetto hip. It's funny how some American teens comes to school dressed up all ghetto, hoping their friend won't notice them being dropped off in the $75.000 family mini wagon... and, naturally being straight A students.

Mar 7, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #39 of 81
Quote:

There is absolutely no denying that there are many tallentless trolls who make it to the top. 50 Cent is a great example. The guy can't even speak/move his mouth properly because he's been shot so many times! Could a one-handed guy become a basketball star? Quite unlikely.

So you have something against those who have been injured? 50cent obviously sucks because he was shot 9 times.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

And because they don't have the uplifting attitude of the beastie boys, its trash? Life is not happy 24/7? You agree? Probably. However, It's not 100%negative(but rap isn't 100% negative) either. I do agree that rap can be overly negative) and there needs to be a better balance. But there isn't a genre out there that doesn't have it's negatives.(once again rap probably has more)

Quote:

I hate this idea that because these people come from broken homes, and because they comited crimes in the past and did bad things in the past, that now they can just influence OTHERS (their listeners) to do the same, and now it's considered GOOD? Please!

Most rappers don't tell you to go out and do the same as they did. They are simply telling their life story. The thing is, that some people will let this influence them to try and be like the rapper.

But this is why rap appeals to me. I'm not listening to some pop song that the artist didn't even write, let alone experience.(yes I know that not all rappers write their own rhymes, but most do). I don't want to listen to a song that has no relevance to my life or the artist who is performing it. Just my $.02.

Mar 7, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #40 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
hey, blip... are you sure that was a RANT? sounded pretty composed, insightful, wise and knowledgable to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man... I appreciate that. Basically what I was trying to say was that rap is like anything else, a product of a particular time and place that, to a certain extent, demands it to exist.

Anyway, rap is a difficult form of music for many of us because it often represents life experiences that are (thankfully) very different from ours. Now granted this isn't as true as it was in the old days, but often when you really break a rap down you see that it is simply about what happens on a daily basis to a certain segment of the population. This does not necessarily mean that this lifestyle is glorified. As one rapper (wish I could remember who... I think it was someone in Jurrasic 5... could be wrong) said "no one who lived in the ghetto would ever want to live in the ghetto."

But there is this demand for the most thuggish forms of rap. Who became popular, Ice Cube or Slick Rick the Ruler or De La Soul? Who is popular now, 50 cent or Mos Def? All of these people had a decent (though never quite equivalent) level of publicity/support in their day but whose albums sold? So what do you expect? Markets don't produce what is good or moral, they produce what safely sublimates the needs of the consumers.

Mar 7, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #41 of 81
this conversation is overly biased and ludicrous. everyone who is hating unnecessarily on rap needs to go out and buy the following

Illogic - Celestial Clockwork
Illogic - Unforseen Shadows
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Murs - 3:16
Murs - Varsity Blues
Braille - Shades of Gray
Sage Francis - Sickly Business
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

this doesn't even come CLOSE to scratching the surface. unbeknownst to all of you haters, there is another hip hop scene that is based on KNOWLEDGE, not knowledge of guns and various euphemisms about beating women, but knowledge about the world, politics and real values. here is just a sample/comparison to try and change your mind

Fresh like, unhh; Impala, unnh
Chrome hyrdolics, 808 drums
You don't want, none
Nigga betta, run
When beef is on, I'll pop that, trunk
Come get, some
Pistol grip, pump
If a nigga step on my white Air, Ones
Since red, rum
Ready here I, come
Compton, unh - The Game
frown.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

now for real hiphop

Now when you're young, death can make you aware of your mortality
At times we feel invincible, lose sight of reality
Until it takes a loved one, residing in our circle
It'll hurt you cause you miss 'em
Once were close, down you're distant
And it hurts just to know that they could go at any instant
Gotta love 'em by the minute, now you realize this
It's sad it takes a loss to appreciate the gifts
So celebrate the occasion, just breathing is amazin'
To see the sun rise and set, at a days end
A chance to fix mistakes that we regret makin'
Find joy in the simple things, no time for complainin'
The sun will shine, it can't always be rainin' - Murs
cool.gif
wink.gif

don't hate unless u know whats out there.

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #42 of 81
If you want the samy lyrical compairison with an artist who is in the main-stream look to Jay-Z. While most of his tracks are produced to sell records and build up his ego he is able to drop a few gems. When rapping about "beefs" something that seems frowned upon on this forum. However listen to "Takeover", he calls NAS out and NAS responded with ether. Both songs are vocally charged and gun violence was nowhere to be seen. 50 cent releases piggy bank and embarreses himself. I dont belive that postin lyrics will do any justice to these songs as lyrics are just a small part of the overall song. Listen to those three songs and you can see how terrible 50 cent is.

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #43 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
To me it seems like the only reason most of you guys dont liek rap is cuz they talk about killing, degrating women, and drugs, but if you grew up like they did you would be the same way. This is all thye know about and so thats what they rap about. Also most of you guys that are dissing rap dont really listen to the songs, you hear the songs, you dont listen to it over and over listening to the lyrics and trying to understand the song.

That's a very bad generalization. I know pleny of guys who've been through hell and back, and they wish to leave it all behind. My brother-in-law was ex-crip from the philly and tried to turn himself around, cause he hated that crap. Why do you think people want to leave the ghetto? Cause of all that bulls**t. I hope you do realize that the majority of people who buy mainstream rap albums are rich kids who know jack about what it's really like. They wouldn't last a day on the streets. I have respect for rappers who don't have to turn to singing about drugs, violence, etc to get record sales. Real rappers don't give a damn if their albums hit it big, only if they get their message out and their props.

I used to listen to mainstream rap, until I realized how stupid it was. Black eyed peas and other non-offensive rappers at least have the originality. Lyrics that talk about how life on the streets sucks, how you tire of seeing your boys go down for nothing, and wishing you could change things, now those are good.

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #44 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I used to listen to mainstream rap, until I realized how stupid it was. Black eyed peas and other non-offensive rappers at least have the originality. Lyrics that talk about how life on the streets sucks, how you tire of seeing your boys go down for nothing, and wishing you could change things, now those are good.

Exactly. Ditto. There's a huge difference between lyrics that talk about life on the street and lyrics that glorify it.

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
stuff...

The gangster attitude (which some rap(pers) suffers from) kills it for me.

.stuff

Funny. The gangster attitude is the main attraction to rap for me. I loved that scene in Office Space where a guy is listening to gangsta rap in his car, but when a black guy walks by he turns it down and cowers in his seat, but continues mouthing the lyrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back