50$ Budget Studio Monitor headphones?
Dec 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Perox

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
my Koss PortaPro's recently broke and I know that they're cheap, have colored sound and are bad for monitoring, but I didn't have an option and I monitored on them. I don't actually release and sell my music so I didn't care that much (I'm 14...). Now that they're broken, I need to get some headphones that are actually suited for monitoring purposes. But unfortunately, I can't go above 50€ (65$).

Which ones would you recommend? I was looking at the ATH-M30 recently and heard good thing about them...I also heard that Sennheiser is making good budget headphones...

Thanks

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 15
If you can find a pair of Koss Pro DJ100's, they'd make pretty good monitoring headphones.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 15
Maybe you can find a pair of akg's k44. I've been listening to them for about six month every day. For the price they are really good. Very comfortable, much more bass than hd205, good soundstage and clear highs.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 15
Maybe you can find a pair of akg's k44. I've been listening to them for about six month every day. For the price they are really good. Very comfortable, much more bass than hd205, good soundstage and clear highs.

I heard about those Senn HD205's. I looked the up before because I especially liked their design for such a (relatively) cheap pair of headphones, but according to review they aren't that good...

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

How did you find bass on AKG K44?! plus I think even the OPs ex- Koss Portapros are more revealing than those. I never ran the K44 amped though, so I don't know.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 15
superlux hd 668 b 

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
How did you find bass on AKG K44?! plus I think even the OPs ex- Koss Portapros are more revealing than those. I never ran the K44 amped though, so I don't know.

Maybe I was a little lazy with my answer. First of all, plugged to a nokia 5130 they don't sound. No enough power. At the moment I'm listening to them plugged in an ipod shuffle 4g and the sound is much better, I think k44's gives 80% of its potential this way. Correctly amped they will give you their 100%
Talking about bass when plugged to a correct source is very good for the price, but let you listen to mids and highs as well. In fact mids are quite a bit backwards, and need equalization if you want them to be more present at low volumes.
I've just test bass sounds again:
Three six mafia-Slob On My Knob (about 39 hz)
Massive Attack-Angel
Three six mafia-Late Nite Tip
I don't recomend this headphones for this kind of music but bass is still present.
This are not subwoofer style headphones like some cheap Panasonic or Sony.
But they have enough bass  to let you enjoy most sorts of music.
Other songs I try while I'm writing:
Sirius b - Therion
Strangers Like Me - Phil Collins
New Kid In Town - The Eagles  
Haggard - The Origin (Great One) Enough Bass for this song to surprise any newbie.

They fit better with 80Hz than with 30Hz or 40Hz I must say. But those frequencies are still there. And that's ok for me for listening to músic and some movies, and for this price.

Greetings!

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Maybe I was a little lazy with my answer. First of all, plugged to a nokia 5130 they don't sound. No enough power. At the moment I'm listening to them plugged in an ipod shuffle 4g and the sound is much better, I think k44's gives 80% of its potential this way. Correctly amped they will give you their 100%

Talking about bass when plugged to a correct source is very good for the price, but let you listen to mids and highs as well. In fact mids are quite a bit backwards, and need equalization if you want them to be more present at low volumes.

I've just test bass sounds again:

Three six mafia-Slob On My Knob (about 39 hz)

Massive Attack-Angel

Three six mafia-Late Nite Tip

I don't recomend this headphones for this kind of music but bass is still present.

This are not subwoofer style headphones like some cheap Panasonic or Sony.

But they have enough bass  to let you enjoy most sorts of music.

Other songs I try while I'm writing:

Sirius b - Therion

Strangers Like Me - Phil Collins

New Kid In Town - The Eagles  

Haggard - The Origin (Great One) Enough Bass for this song to surprise any newbie.

They fit better with 80Hz than with 30Hz or 40Hz I must say. But those frequencies are still there. And that's ok for me for listening to músic and some movies, and for this price.

Greetings!

Thanks, I don't have an amp or DAC for my PC yet. I won't be getting an amp but I will get the DAC (Audio interface) sometime next year. So now I will be pluging them straight into my 3.5mm pc audio jack and to my HTC One S. I heard that because of Beats Audio, the HTC One S can drive headphones with more Ohm's, not sure if it's true...

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Thanks, I don't have an amp or DAC for my PC yet. I won't be getting an amp but I will get the DAC (Audio interface) sometime next year. So now I will be pluging them straight into my 3.5mm pc audio jack and to my HTC One S. I heard that because of Beats Audio, the HTC One S can drive headphones with more Ohm's, not sure if it's true...

It's BS. I have a One S and find the sound output power to be kinda weak. BUT i can say that the quality is very good (distortion/noise level/crosstalk) so if you can drive your headphone correctly, you will not be disappointed at all. Actually here are the test results from gsmarena :

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I was looking for the max output power of the HTC One S to resolve this problem but I didn't find anything. One S has Qualcomm's WCD9310 in it, but I can't find much usefull info about it.

Akg's k44 specs are:
32 Ohms
115db/V
Max input power: 200mW

An Ipod can drive them quite well and it has 30mW + 30mW of max output power. (30mW per channel)

The Max output power of HTC One S is usefull for you to decide on what headphones you should choose.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
I was looking for the max output power of the HTC One S to resolve this problem but I didn't find anything. One S has Qualcomm's WCD9310 in it, but I can't find much usefull info about it.

Akg's k44 specs are:
32 Ohms
115db/V
Max input power: 200mW

An Ipod can drive them quite well and it has 30mW + 30mW of max output power. (30mW per channel)

The Max output power of HTC One S is usefull for you to decide on what headphones you should choose.

over 110db sensitivity will be pretty easy to drive for a portable player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back