5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Mar 11, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #376 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by malalol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried to achieve the same effect using Dolby Pro Logic but I could not.

Also the effect is absolutely headphone dependent. The 4.1 setup on Channel mixer sounds wonderful on my HD595, almost no timbre change, out of the head soundstage but upfront presentation, really fun setup for rock and metal. However it sounds absolute crap on my ATH-CKM55. Tried many different setups and the soundstage only gets congested, barely outside my head, and distorted (its in a curve shape, near my ears but far from my nose). These ATH already have outstanding soundstage for IEM at this price, so I'll stick with their stock sound
biggrin.gif

Not sure how you have it set up, but try the default settings with two small changes. Unclick LF on the first page, but leave it set to 6. Decrease the sub to around 10% on the next page.

your config should look like this:

DTS
CM
DHP
Limiter

Don't remove the center channel or boost its value. Doing that only flattens the sound stage by moving the vocals closer to the plane the left and right channels are in. Think about it.

The sub channel is also very helpful (especially with my 701s and 880s) and may be decreased but not removed.

Keep in mind that although there are many tweaks to play with, the developers found the best settings already and used them as their default settings.

Enjoy.

USG

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #377 of 633
Yes, I messed around a bit with the controls and found a good solution to the issues I was facing, and this could improve soundstage quality paired with other IEMs.

Try reducing the rear volume on Upmix tab and watch the horizontal up-frontness be revelead. It is essentinal to remove the inside your body shaking feeling bass and reveal it sitting on your face like glasses, or maybe under your nose but a bit farther. Definitely with better focus and imaging, like a warm analytical improvement.

I feel kind of an axis in a diagonal lift up, give it a try. Sounds like a 3d rearrangement of the bass perception, and put' em right under the mids and highs, like it should be. It's similar to toe-in adjustment in 2.0 speakers when you're on the sweet spot.

Bass propagates in the air differently than highs, because wider sound waves are more omnidirectional than high frequency waves. This DH Headphone engine is pretty good, and the teak is necessary to my CKM-55 indeed. The toe-in brings the bass forward, and the software processing sends it farther!

The use of supra-auricular headphones like mine H595 sounds better with default settings indeed!
wink.gif
The angled drivers could be a reason why some people love it.

But I just ordered an extension cable to use IEMs at home, the rear volume sounds just right at 0.20!

Kisses dears
popcorn.gif

P.s. I'm having better resolution with H595 as well with this tweak, but left the rear volume at 0.40. The adjustment is needed to match the soundstage distance with bass image distance, which sounds better at 20% on the next tab. The interactions between upmix and downmix has a horizon height that should be addressed as well.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #378 of 633
I use these settings:

Foobar Active DSPs:

1. George Yohng's VST Wrapper (+Oxford Sonnox or any other hi-end VST eq to reduce the overall gain by -5 dB)
2. Channel Mixer (6 channels, Upmix Mode - Copy, Center - 0.85, Subwoofer - 1.0, Rear Volume - 1.0. Subwoofer is on, its volume - 1.0, Bass redirection is on, frequency - 70).
3. Dolby Headphone, Live Room, Amplification - 1.0.

Sounds best to me!

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #379 of 633
I'm using DH on Reference Room setting. Live room and further only seems to add echo to me.

I'm using Electri-Q as well to EQ my headphones, not only to rectify the resonance between my ear channel and the headphones, but to compensate a little loss I have (-1db I guess) at 6K on my left ear. I can clearly notice soundstage resolution improvement with EQ.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #380 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by malalol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using DH on Reference Room setting. Live room and further only seems to add echo to me.

I'm using Electri-Q as well to EQ my headphones, not only to rectify the resonance between my ear channel and the headphones, but to compensate a little loss I have (-1db I guess) at 6K on my left ear. I can clearly notice soundstage resolution improvement with EQ.

Try FabFilter equalizer. It provides a blacker background (space between instruments) compared to Electri-Q. Electri-Q is more grey in this regard.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #381 of 633
Old dude, new to earphones, foobar2000, and would like to thank the OP for this, very interesting.

Maybe tomorrow I can read through all the other posts, looks like a lot of nice information here. So much to learn, so little time!!

Jim

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #382 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by najames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old dude, new to earphones, foobar2000, and would like to thank the OP for this, very interesting.

Maybe tomorrow I can read through all the other posts, looks like a lot of nice information here. So much to learn, so little time!!

Jim

Welcome to the cult... er, club.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #383 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the cult... er, club.

Thanks adrift. As long as I don't have to commit suicide when a comet passes, its nice to be here. I'll apologize now for being a heavy reader and not much of a poster. I read all pages of this thread, and an old AV-710 plus info from this thread has transformed my PC with POS Logitech Z-340s into a decent sounding setup for now.
popcorn.gif

I looked through every page of computer system pics for desk ideas and found most people here would throw my equipment in the trash can, but it works for me. My work headphones are $20 Sony MDRV150 from Wally World, an upgrade from my $7 Ratshack specials, hahahaha. I have been buying inexpensive IEMs to try and learn about them. My impressive new selection consists of Marshmallows, MEElectronics M9 & M6, soon Maximo IM-590, and I want something a little more upscale for compairson. I've spent evenings for the last month (?) to get this far.

I do have a decent home theater setup and several good PCs though.

Jim

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #385 of 633
After playing with it for several days, I think I found even better settings:

Foobar Active DSPs:

1. George Yohng's VST Wrapper (+Oxford Sonnox or FabFilter or any other hi-end VST eq to reduce the overall gain by -6 dB)
2. Channel Mixer (6 channels, Upmix Mode - Copy, Center - 0.75, Subwoofer - 0.3, Rear Volume - 0.75. Subwoofer is on (all channels), its volume - 1.0, Bass redirection is on, frequency - 80).

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #386 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After playing with it for several days, I think I found even better settings:

Foobar Active DSPs:

1. George Yohng's VST Wrapper (+Oxford Sonnox or FabFilter or any other hi-end VST eq to reduce the overall gain by -6 dB)
2. Channel Mixer (6 channels, Upmix Mode - Copy, Center - 0.75, Subwoofer - 0.3, Rear Volume - 0.75. Subwoofer is on (all channels), its volume - 1.0, Bass redirection is on, frequency - 80).

Hi Ironmine

Could you post some screen shots of your set up?

USG

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #387 of 633
Christ this is a long thread - but worth it!

Anyways I just got foobar installed again and was looking through what settings to use. I have been playing around with all the suggested settings and at the moment I'm gonna try with the following

DT880 cans with LD-MK III
Mostly flac files, and listening to rock from soft to the harder stuff.

Noise Sharpening 100% - made a much larger impact than i thought it would
DTS decoder
Channel Mixer - 6 channel, surround mode, center 75, sub 30, rear volume 75, sub enabled volume 1, redirection 60
Dolby Headphone - reference room 100% amp

I admit i don't really understand how all the settings work and what they do, I simply used Graphicism's point as reference and created a bunch of presets and have then switched back and forth to try and find what I like the most.

Anyone else with DT880 I'd love to hear what others are using.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #388 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Christ this is a long thread - but worth it!

Anyways I just got foobar installed again and was looking through what settings to use. I have been playing around with all the suggested settings and at the moment I'm gonna try with the following

DT880 cans with LD-MK III
Mostly flac files, and listening to rock from soft to the harder stuff.

Noise Sharpening 100% - made a much larger impact than i thought it would
DTS decoder
Channel Mixer - 6 channel, surround mode, center 75, sub 30, rear volume 75, sub enabled volume 1, redirection 60
Dolby Headphone - reference room 100% amp

I admit i don't really understand how all the settings work and what they do, I simply used Graphicism's point as reference and created a bunch of presets and have then switched back and forth to try and find what I like the most.

Anyone else with DT880 I'd love to hear what others are using.

Hi

Could you post some screen shots of your set up?

USG

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #389 of 633

Users who are viewing this thread

Back