5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Apr 20, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #406 of 633
Can't wait to try my current settings with my coming new equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #407 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi USG

Here's how I did it:

www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_01.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_02.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_03.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_04.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_05.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_06.jpg

If you own bass-capable headphones like Denons, you may find that the above setup weakens bass too much. In this case, in the Channel Mixer, in the subwoofer settings, choose "leave the sub intact" and reduce the frequency to 30-50 or any other value you like.

Some people, of course, may prefer "Reference Room" over "Live Room" in the Dolby Headphone settings.

what if i leave the bass re-direction option unchecked? Would that be the same as choosing 'leave the sub intact' at 30 freq?

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #408 of 633
Apr 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #409 of 633
Quote:

See explanations here:
Channel mixer and here:
Channel Mixer (foo_channel_mixer) - Hydrogenaudio Forums

thx.

I've experimented with this option on and off and they both seemed nearly identical. The bass re-direction with sub intact left to 30 freq prollly sounded a tad bit sharper, but they seemed nearly identical on the bass areas.

but let me ask you, you have the frequency range at 80, right? And your cans are Denon D2000, right? So don't you feel the bass is still a bit weak at that freq range?

My DT990's are already king in bass department... so maybe it would be a wise idea to leave the bass redirection option unchecked? What do you think?

also, these settings seem a bit better than Graphicsm's settings. As Fenixdown has already mentioned, the bass is in your face and more lively
beyersmile.png

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #410 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but let me ask you, you have the frequency range at 80, right? And your cans are Denon D2000, right? So don't you feel the bass is still a bit weak at that freq range?

No, I don't feel that the bass is weak. It seems alright to me. The bass beast in Denon D2000 needs to be tamed
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DT990's are already king in bass department... so maybe it would be a wise idea to leave the bass redirection option unchecked? What do you think?

David, all headphones are different. What sounds good to me on my Denon D2000 may not sound good to your ears on your DT990.

Also (my advice) - try Isone Pro plugin. It also sounds good and has many settings to mess with.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #411 of 633
Has anyone seen this?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/is...mputer-473885/

This is yet another 5.1 simulator that claims to have similar effects as this 5.1 setup. I tried it, but found myself coming right back to this setup. Please give it a try and let us all know what you think.

May 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #412 of 633
I've spent some time in the Isone Pro camp but... I am here again.

I played with some settings and I guess I know now why some people prefer "copy mode" to "surround mode" under the upmix tag in the channel mixer. Probably it's because "rear in front" and "front in rear", when not set to zero, make the sound muddy. I think the Dolby Headphone plugin works better when we feed it with 5.1. material where fronts are fronts and rears are rears and they are not cross-contaminated.

Here are the surround settings I found good for my Denon D2000:

http://ironmine.narod.ru/fun/cm_dh_surround_01.jpg
http://ironmine.narod.ru/fun/cm_dh_surround_02.jpg
http://ironmine.narod.ru/fun/cm_dh_surround_03.jpg
http://ironmine.narod.ru/fun/cm_dh_surround_04.jpg
http://ironmine.narod.ru/fun/cm_dh_surround_05.jpg

The sound in this surround mode retains the transparency of the copy mode, but now I can really hear that the front channels are separated from the rear channels because they play different sounds... As a result, the positioning of instruments improve (in my opinion).

May 3, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #413 of 633
It is a good thing you posted it. I tried it, it is true, it is like the sound is all around you, like it is in your head. Anyway, can we use it to any applications, too, like videos, gaming and such?

May 3, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #414 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by CastanonY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a good thing you posted it. I tried it, it is true, it is like the sound is all around you, like it is in your head. Anyway, can we use it to any applications, too, like videos, gaming and such?

Well, there are some links for videos, and VLC seems to include an option already (just a box to tick, nothing to play with...)
MPC

I'm quite disappointed my recently purchased AKG K242 sextett does not really like that surround effect... And I tried converting some flac files to some with DSP effect, and it clips a lot, even with ReplayGain settings in converter...
frown.gif

May 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #415 of 633
Sorry for the epic bump--I just came across this via Google. I've lurked around these forums for a while, but this find (and subsequent question) were what finally got me to register.

I absolutely *love* this tweak. Have to say I was skeptical, but it really does sound great.

One thing:

I have a good amount of music that is 6 channel already, and when the Channel Mixer DSP is applied it overwrites the true 5.1. This isn't a problem when listening to albums, as I can simply toggle the DSP's off, but I'm an avid playlist/mix maker, and it's extremely inconvenient to have to manually load and unload the preset between stereo and 5.1 tracks.

Would anyone happen to know of a way to assign specific DSP configurations to individual tracks?

Thanks so much for any help.

May 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #416 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by admbr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a good amount of music that is 6 channel already, and when the Channel Mixer DSP is applied it overwrites the true 5.1. This isn't a problem when listening to albums, as I can simply toggle the DSP's off, but I'm an avid playlist/mix maker, and it's extremely inconvenient to have to manually load and unload the preset between stereo and 5.1 tracks.

Would anyone happen to know of a way to assign specific DSP configurations to individual tracks?

Thanks so much for any help.

I guess you just have to use Dolby Headphone alone (without Channel Mixer) in both cases (2.0 and 5.1 input material), if you don't want to turn the Channel Mixer on and off between tracks.

May 4, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #417 of 633
Quote:

I've spent some time in the Isone Pro camp but... I am here again.

I played with some settings and I guess I know now why some people prefer "copy mode" to "surround mode" under the upmix tag in the channel mixer. Probably it's because "rear in front" and "front in rear", when not set to zero, make the sound muddy. I think the Dolby Headphone plugin works better when we feed it with 5.1. material where fronts are fronts and rears are rears and they are not cross-contaminated.

I certainly agree about no front in rear and no rear in front! For months I had been happily using my channel mixer settup under Windows XP, but two weeks ago I switched to running Windows 7 Professional 64. The sound was different and, while not really terrible, was not the wonderful clear sound that I was used to.

The problem was that after reinstalling everything in Windows 7 I was back to the default channel mixer settings!

Also, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread, for me it is important to check "Add low freqs".

May 4, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #418 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly agree about no front in rear and no rear in front!

beerchug.gif

The thing is just revolutionary! It brings the headphone listening to a new level of pleasure and experience. It's like going from 2D to 3D. I consider it a technological breakthrough of great magnitude. It's amazing how few people know about it or care about it.

Do you think we are going to see the CM+DH processing in DACs, either as in-built modules or add-on DSPs, any time soon?

May 4, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #419 of 633
Quote:

beerchug.gif

The thing is just revolutionary! It brings the headphone listening to a new level of pleasure and experience. It's like going from 2D to 3D. I consider it a technological breakthrough of great magnitude. It's amazing how few people know about it or care about it.

Do you think we are going to see the CM+DH processing in DACs, either as in-built modules or add-on DSPs, any time soon?

Why pay for hardware when thanks to kind and selfless people foobar and CM are free?

I should clarify that while I have the Dolby Headphone plugin installed in foobar and would be happy enough using it, for most of my music listening I prefer Channel Mixer followed by CMSS-3D Headphone, rather than Dolby Headphone. I run CMSS-3D Headphone at a setting of about 20-30%. I also almost always use EAX Effects (at -6.0 dB), changing the preset depending on the recording or the type of music.

Though if I am playing properly recorded music (e.g. binaural) I remove all effects and go straight bitmapped (as I am with Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 at the moment)!

Maybe someday we will be able to get a sticky for this thread. Thanks again to Graphicism for starting it, and to everyone who has contributed.

May 4, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #420 of 633
Quote:

I guess you just have to use Dolby Headphone alone (without Channel Mixer) in both cases (2.0 and 5.1 input material), if you don't want to turn the Channel Mixer on and off between tracks.

Ah, bummer. I think there's a thread about converting tracks so that they play with these settings natively; guess I'll look into that.

Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back