5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
May 17, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #436 of 633
Use these dll through a VST wrapper.

May 18, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #437 of 633
Has anybody tried this thing: http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/

May 19, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #438 of 633
It seems like to volume for the center on the channel mixer need to set less than 1 to make the sound as if coming from speaker in front of you...

anybody experienced this?

May 19, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #439 of 633

Quote:
It seems like to volume for the center on the channel mixer need to set less than 1 to make the sound as if coming from speaker in front of you...

anybody experienced this?

Yes. It's been discussed before. I have the center on 0.05 right now.

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #441 of 633
When the output levels are the same, the difference is negligible between using this complicated setup or dolby headphone alone, not even close to that water to wine some claimed it to be. Just ABX for yourself.

It's a simple test to make, but in case someone can't figure it out all you need to do is to convert the same original file twice, using the foobar converter.
On the first file you'll apply this complicated setup on the DSP chain, and on the second file you'll just apply Dolby Headphone.
It's preferable to set amplification at 90%, to avoid clipping that could change the sound between the two.
After you have the two files, ReplayGain TrackGain them, and ABX.

Dolby Headphone is really fantastic, just feed it something from mono to 5.1 and it'll make the magic happen, It's as they say, the simpler the best.

Edit: Actually the useless channel mixer will probably make the output file clip at 90%, so maybe setting the dolby headphone amplification to 75% will be even better for the test.

Edit 2: Actually channel mixer has it's uses, just not for headphones.

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #442 of 633
Well, it looks like I was wrong, I can actually easilly ABX the two files when listening to more carefully.
It's not that big of a difference, but it's there. 
L3000.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #443 of 633

Quote:
I have the Victor / JVC SU-DH1 and it's a very nice budget alternative to the Smyth Research Realiser.

I also have the Astro A40 system, but it has a pretty poor implementation of Dolby Headphone.  Not nearly as good as your Foobar setup, nor the SU-DH1.  But it does standard analog inputs.  And because it's designed to mix in headset sound from games and stereo input, it works quite well with SU-DH1 as well.

-Ed

I find my A40 indispensable for gaming, mediocre for movies, and I don't even bother with music. I'm still tempted to get an SU-DH1 assuming its movie performance is more natural. Do you find the SU-DH1's headphone amp more capable than the A40's as well?

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #444 of 633
Quote:
Has anybody tried this thing: http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/

Update: I found this thing and tried it and I like Isone Pro Stereo better.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #445 of 633
I tried the op's settings, and then proceeded to play around with it a bit. The stereophonic effect is nice, certainly, but there's a major caveat here. For some reason it seems to throw off the natural timbre of the instruments a bit. It is extremely difficult to qualify or quantify timbre, but something simply sounds off. It's not as distinguishable with vocals for instance, but with instrumental works the difference is relatively obvious.

For me I suppose I'll stick to b2sb for most music. It seems to muffle the highs slightly, but the difference is very minor (with cmoy setting), and the benefits of the crossfeed far outweigh the negative. Some recordings benefit less so I might disable b2sb for them, but for others (the vast majority in fact) it's a must with headphone listening.

Just my two cents. And judging from the popularity of this thread, I'll freely admit that I'm likely in the minority here in disliking the 5.1 setup after trying it.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #446 of 633

Quote:
I tried the op's settings, and then proceeded to play around with it a bit. The stereophonic effect is nice, certainly, but there's a major caveat here. For some reason it seems to throw off the natural timbre of the instruments a bit. It is extremely difficult to qualify or quantify timbre, but something simply sounds off. It's not as distinguishable with vocals for instance, but with instrumental works the difference is relatively obvious.

For me I suppose I'll stick to b2sb for most music. It seems to muffle the highs slightly, but the difference is very minor (with cmoy setting), and the benefits of the crossfeed far outweigh the negative. Some recordings benefit less so I might disable b2sb for them, but for others (the vast majority in fact) it's a must with headphone listening.

Just my two cents. And judging from the popularity of this thread, I'll freely admit that I'm likely in the minority here in disliking the 5.1 setup after trying it.

JxK, you should really abx the two options. The original file and a file converted using channel mixer and Dolby headphone, both being replaygained to the same levels. That way you can be sure wich one you find more pleasurable to listen to.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #448 of 633
Since everyone using this thread is familiar with foobar, I thought it would be a good place to ask a question that is slightly off topic, but still relevant.  Does anyone here know how to change the pan/balance in foobar? With my rockboxed clip it's simple as can be, but for the life of me I can't find the controls in foobar anywhere.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #449 of 633
Quote:
Does anyone here know how to change the pan/balance in foobar? With my rockboxed clip it's simple as can be, but for the life of me I can't find the controls in foobar anywhere.

Install the VST-chainer application called Console or something similar. Then you will be able to use millions of high-quality VST plugins in Foobar.

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #450 of 633
tried this today with my ad700s, it worked as promised but the audio quality took a huge dip.  But immersion into the stage increased, a new field of audio coming from the back was pretty awesome.

Shame really the audio quality becomes very poor after it.  But yes, it does work as he said it would. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back