5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Jul 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #451 of 633
Quote:
Shame really the audio quality becomes very poor after it.  But yes, it does work as he said it would. 

Try HeadFit, the "immersion into the stage", as you put it, is not so strong, but it preserves more details. I found out that IsonePro is good for one type of recordings, while HeadFit is good for other type of recording.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #452 of 633
I find that this makes shallow recordings sound deep, and rich/full recordings sometimes sound slightly cloudy, despite the fact that things sound more directional.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #453 of 633
I need some help here.

I have done everything fine but the DTS Decoder i can only see it in the "Found Components" window (Components section), but not in the "Active DSPs" one (playback>dsp manager).

I can't see other DSPs listed here, as Free Surround for instance.

I'm using Foobar2000 1.03

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #454 of 633
They removed the DTS from being an active DSP and it will only work with v1.1 beta as well. You should update, but that doesn't help either. I don't exactly know what the DTS Decoder does now.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #455 of 633
Don't forget All, Dolby Headphone is a very capable stereo simulator as well as 5.1.  Most of you wouldn't choose to listen to stereo music upmixed to 5.1 speakers as some soundstaging becomes confused for already well-recorded and mastered material.

Leaving stereo material as stereo and using Dolby Headphone front L+R speakers only can give superb speaker-like presentation with suitable headphones.  For 5.1 material crack on.  It's great that the software option with Foobar works - it's now much better than when I first tried it.

You know that 3d experience you can get, sitting in the sweet spot of decent stereo speaker or nearfield monitors?  It can be recreated.  I've had great results with a lot of music but I'll recommend Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Best of , Nitin Sawhney (just about anything)  or Queen (Greatest Hits 1, 2 & 3 at least) as being excellent examples of what DH alone can do with stereo material.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #456 of 633
Thanks for the explanation, darkmess.

Don't know if it is because the lack of DTS, but with this config in foobar i get something of a surround sound but not a complete one. The effect i get is similar to this image (the left one being what i should get and the right one being what i'm getting).

I dont know if this is normal or if my config is wrong. (btw, what i'm trying to remark is not the distance to the listener, but the very small distance between front and back channels, and the center channel being completely inside my forehead)

About the Dolby Headphone thing, how do you tell the difference between stereo and 5.1 material when talking about audio files? (i mean, just by checking the files, not by hearing to them).  Maybe different formats or something?

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #457 of 633
Nicolasete, have you tried DH2 and DH3? The latter in particular seems to do a good job of placing the front centre speaker in front of me.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #458 of 633
Just did.

The sounds feel a little bit more distant, but still positioned too close to each other (like in the second image). My problem with DH3 is that adds a lot of echo that i dont like for music or movies.

I'm starting to wonder if DH sounds the same out of onboard (using DH-compatible programs as powerdvd10 or foobar) and out of any DH-dedicated hardware (like the Essence). I hope thats not the case because i plan on buying an Essence ST and i'm not very impressed with dolby headphone right now.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #459 of 633
I've found that it's very hardware dependent, at least for headphones and amplification. Some headphones just aren't suited to it.

Angled drivers and other headstage enhancements are designed to do have some of the same sorts of effects as Dolby Headphone. Using the two together is frequently unpleasant.

The DLLs that are commonly used for Foobar are quite variable too. There are some poor ones. The hardware implementations I've heard (Xonar D2 and SU-DH1) have been good. The software version with PowerDVD 9 Ultra sounded on.par with them to me The first few software versiopns I heard seemed to make everything rather thin sounding, with less convincing directional sound.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #460 of 633

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, darkmess.

Don't know if it is because the lack of DTS, but with this config in foobar i get something of a surround sound but not a complete one. The effect i get is similar to this image (the left one being what i should get and the right one being what i'm getting).

I dont know if this is normal or if my config is wrong. (btw, what i'm trying to remark is not the distance to the listener, but the very small distance between front and back channels, and the center channel being completely inside my forehead)

About the Dolby Headphone thing, how do you tell the difference between stereo and 5.1 material when talking about audio files? (i mean, just by checking the files, not by hearing to them).  Maybe different formats or something?

In my findings the settings that are listed to start off the thread sound very bad.  I have spent a lot of time toying with this and here are the settings I like, and how to fix your problem.

I use the same exact settings as the original thread, except I turn "Rear in front" AND "Front in rear" up to .75 or 1.00 depending on the song.  This has a very dramatic effect.

You can then choose how wide your stereo image is by adjusting your stereoimage width in the general tab.  I use 1.00, but if your image is too wide then move the slider left, and if it is too shallow move it to the right.

If you don't adjust the front in rear/rear in front then your stereo image width control practically does nothing.

I want to re-iterate that setting Rear in Front to 1.00 DRAMATICALLY increases sound staging, separation, and clarity (even at the same volume).  I also boost the low frequencies because my HD570's are light in that department.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #461 of 633

Quote:
In my findings the settings that are listed to start off the thread sound very bad.  I have spent a lot of time toying with this and here are the settings I like, and how to fix your problem.

I use the same exact settings as the original thread, except I turn "Rear in front" AND "Front in rear" up to .75 or 1.00 depending on the song.  This has a very dramatic effect.

You can then choose how wide your stereo image is by adjusting your stereoimage width in the general tab.  I use 1.00, but if your image is too wide then move the slider left, and if it is too shallow move it to the right.

If you don't adjust the front in rear/rear in front then your stereo image width control practically does nothing.

I want to re-iterate that setting Rear in Front to 1.00 DRAMATICALLY increases sound staging, separation, and clarity (even at the same volume).  I also boost the low frequencies because my HD570's are light in that department.

Must be dependent on the headphones, because I just tried this with HD650s and found that, though the sound opens a bit, I start getting distortion moving away from 0 on either channel.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #462 of 633
I'm starting to play around with this.  Great effects, does a lot for the sound!

Thanks, great post. 

EDIT:  Yeah, you can really hear the audio quality tank here... the immersion is great but I'm not sure if I can withstand the forces of imperfection!

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #463 of 633
Hey guys,

Noob here who is completely lost. 

I followed the directions in the first post exactly up till when your suppose to move the DLLs into the active DSPS?.  I just downloaded the latest version of foobar and I can't find a dsp menu anywhere. 

Can anyone help me out? 

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #464 of 633

Quote:
Hey guys,

Noob here who is completely lost. 

I followed the directions in the first post exactly up till when your suppose to move the DLLs into the active DSPS?.  I just downloaded the latest version of foobar and I can't find a dsp menu anywhere. 

Can anyone help me out? 

Hi, 
It is in the preferences, under the Playback menu, DSP Manager
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #465 of 633
This is amazing.  I used to use the Dolby plugin by itself for a year or so, then I bought some quality headphones and found that all bass sounded the same, but now it really opens up the soundstage, I love the "rear speakers"  I'm just messing around with the rear in front and front in rear options now.  Those options seem like they'd be a lot more depended on your audio set up than just a static number.

Another question is does anyone use the dynamic compression on the Dolby's settings?  And which room model do you prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back