5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Apr 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #392 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ironmine

Could you post some screen shots of your set up?

USG

Hi USG

Here's how I did it:

www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_01.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_02.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_03.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_04.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_05.jpg
www.ironmine.narod.ru/fun/setup_06.jpg

If you own bass-capable headphones like Denons, you may find that the above setup weakens bass too much. In this case, in the Channel Mixer, in the subwoofer settings, choose "leave the sub intact" and reduce the frequency to 30-50 or any other value you like.

Some people, of course, may prefer "Reference Room" over "Live Room" in the Dolby Headphone settings.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #393 of 633
Thanks Ironmine, i was a bit unsure of the vst filter thing you were talking about, I'll try to replicate that in my setup.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #395 of 633
Quote:

Thanks Ironmine, that was very helpful.
beyersmile.png

USG

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #396 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for a good buy Jim checkout JVC HA-RX700 for $33.95 shipped, they work well directly from the AV-710 at reasonable listening volumes... crank the volume up and you'll need an amp.

Thanks, got the JVC HA-RX700 on my head right now, and do like them just using the headphone jack on my work Dell Optiplex 745 (ADI 1983 sound chip), also now 5-1 with Foobar. I also ordered Koss KSC75 and Audio Technica ATH-AD700, both arrive today.
confused_face(1).gif

I haven't had enough time to really even try my old Rotel pre/Amp yet, clueless on headphone amps and DACs right now. Video stuff at home is currently consuming me when I am not at work.

Jim

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #397 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Ironmine, i was a bit unsure of the vst filter thing you were talking about, I'll try to replicate that in my setup.

I use FabFilter to bring the overall level (gain) down by 6 dB to reduce any further clipping.

I figured that it is better to reduce the level BEFORE the Channel Mixer and Dolby Headphone because we don't know how they handle the clipped signal during their internal calculations. May be these plugins have some kind of protection against clipping (like FabFilter), or may be they don't. So, in my opinion, it's wise to reduce the volume before them, not after, not to take any chances.

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #398 of 633
I wanted to ask if there's a way to use this setup outside of foobar, ie. watching movies, as they would also benefit from the improved soundstage?

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #399 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to ask if there's a way to use this setup outside of foobar, ie. watching movies, as they would also benefit from the improved soundstage?

I am not really knowledgeable in this movie stuff, but don't VLC and PowerDVD already have an inbuilt surround effect for headphones? I saw such options in their settings.

Also, I once did in this way: I demuxed the soundtrack (it was 2.0, not 5.1) from a movie, then processed it in foobar with the CH+DH combination, saved it as wav, then added it back to the movie. Then I watched it with headphones. But I am sure there should be a way how to do it more conviniently, "on the fly". I just don't know how to do it.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #400 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's a thread on rigging MPC Home Cinema player to utilize the same setup. It was also mentioned way back in this thread somewhere.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #402 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use FabFilter to bring the overall level (gain) down by 6 dB to reduce any further clipping.

I figured that it is better to reduce the level BEFORE the Channel Mixer and Dolby Headphone because we don't know how they handle the clipped signal during their internal calculations. May be these plugins have some kind of protection against clipping (like FabFilter), or may be they don't. So, in my opinion, it's wise to reduce the volume before them, not after, not to take any chances.

Thanks for these settings. I had changed mine earlier, thought they were OK until I hooked up my old Rotel RCD-965BX CD player and RC-980BX preamp.

1) my foobar settings had vocals sounding like they were 100ft behind the band, this brought them back to the front, the sound is much more in line with the Rotel CD player sound.

2) I have one song that is very difficult to tolerate with crappy settings and this is doing a MUCH better job with it now.

The Rotel setup still sounds better than my AV-710, but this closed the gap considerably.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #403 of 633
I tried 5.1 24/96 files through Dolby Headphone, it does not work. If I insert a Sox resampler (96>48 or 96>44) before DH, then it works. It's a pity. Does anybody know any version of Dolby Headphone, or a similar plugin, which can work with 5.1 24/96 files?

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #404 of 633
Waves plugin bundle has S360 Panner 5.1 and S360 Imager 5.1 plugins which can upmix stereo 2.0 to surround 5.1.

Did anyone try to do it and then mix it down back to stereo using Dolby Headphone?

I am at the office right now and cannot try this combination.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #405 of 633
Hi,
I've read this thread all along, and I am really grateful to Graphicism fot his work, and everyone else of course, for trying many other setups.
I have to say, the Copy thing in Channel Mixer makes me doubt of the superiority of FreeSurround as I prefered it over Channel Mixer with Surround effect and various settings, though it makes the soundstage deeper, and I managed to have the voices a bit more forward (I prefer this on vocal-based songs).
So now, I have two main settings (I'll post pictures later), and I am still playing around with these. I precise that I am mainly listening to rock/J-rock, alternative, pop with my ATH-ESW9 out of my Unibody Macbook 13" (and would definitely try that converting thing for portable use when I'll have some space on my HDD
biggrin.gif
).
But I was wondering, I am using the Mac portage of foobar, and do not really know how I could use VSTs... Can anyone help me? (there seem to be really interesting options in VST...)

Thanks (bringing this thread up
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back