$400 - $700 Sad Sad College Setup
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sam-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of headphones and amp. Having come sooo close to completing and tweaking my speaker setup I am crushed that I cannot bring it with me to college (no space). Thus instead of purchasing my final room treatment/tweaks I will be purchasing an enjoyable headphone setup for my desk at school.

I have an Audio Mirror Tubadour as a source and would like cans/amp with the best midrange I can get at this price. Comfortable to wear and non-fatiguing in sound (natural). I am looking for open cans because they sound better. My taste falls on the more musical side of things (I like instruments with weight).

I am curious about non-dynamic phones. 

I am looking for synergy here/ cans and amp that are greater than the sum of their parts.

Thanks,
Sam-fi

Buying used.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Non-dynamic, not in your price range, at least not new.

Maybe some used HE-5's with a Schiit Asgard. I might have seen where someone is selling a set of 5's for a decent price, and I know that the Asgard drives the 5LE's really well.

Barring that a set of HD-600's with the Asgard would also work well.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm using the HD-650 with a Little Dot MKIII and the mids are absolutely gorgeous, as is the entire rest of the range. Should be right around your budget. It's extremely musical, natural and not fatiguing in the slightest. I couldn't possibly be happier.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Stax or another type of Planar or an Ortho? 

My experience is with dynamic. What about Beyer? Or AKG? 

Midrange midrange. Midrange.

(it is late I am not coherent)

Thanks,
Sam-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back