3G iPhone Thread
Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #46 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesn't the plastic housing have to do with the GPS not working with metal?

that's what I read.

Yeah they went with plastic for better GPS reception.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #47 of 113
I wouldn't mind picking up a old iphone for $199.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #48 of 113
It will be a long 30 days wait...
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #49 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be a long 30 days wait...
tongue.gif

Oh, waiting is hard!
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #50 of 113
idk, now I'm more interested in the Blackberry Bold...never has choosing been so difficult!
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #51 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can walk into an att store and buy one without a contract. The "contract" you have to do thru itunes....so Its still $199 out the door. I think they need to explain this better. It's confusing.

This post is incorrect. Yesterday when I called our local store the guys said "thats how I understand it"! Well, he was totally wrong. Todays updates all over the inet are saying likewise.
confused.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
My bad for misleading any of you.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #52 of 113
Yeah as opposed to the previous generation, 3G iPhones are to be activated in AT&T stores only.

Also for those curious about the upgrade policy, see here.

Quote:

If you are a current AT&T customer and you have a 2G iPhone

Take a deep breath, you can get the new iPhone 3G for the new lower price (starting at $199.99), as long as you sign a new two-year contract and add-on one of the new required data plans.

To quote from the AT&T memo:
When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure. (Customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch).

So if you bought an iPhone in June of last year -- you can upgrade to the new 3G phone. If you bought an iPhone in May (maybe you were the last person in your city to buy one), you can still upgrade at the lower price.

If you are a current AT&T customer and you do NOT have a 2G iPhone

You may or may not be eligible to buy the iPhone 3G at its lower price upon release. It depends on the length of your contract, the time of your last handset upgrade and anything else that weighs into AT&T's standard upgrade policy. The pricing for non-qualified upgrades has not been determined, but phones will still need to be activated in-store and with a data-plan and two-year contract.

If you are a new AT&T customer

Assuming you pass the credit check (Pre-Paid and Pick-Your-Plan are not eligible for the iPhone 3G), you can get the iPhone 3G for the new lower price. You will be required to sign up for a two-year contract and a voice and data plan.

Cancellation policy spelled-out

From the AT&T memo:
To cancel service within the first 30 days, the customer must return their equipment to the place of purchase (no exceptions). If the customer cancels service after 30 days, they will be charged the ETF. The customer is not required to return the device to cancel after 30 days.

Jun 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #53 of 113
^^ Hmm....that's intresting. I wonder how the eBay market will be for the 3G iPhone...if even exist.

Jun 10, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #54 of 113
This is the iPhone I was waiting for. GPS and lots of essential business software updates. 16GB and the lower price tag are nice, too.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #55 of 113
Can someone tell me why we HAVE TO pay the extra $1,440.00 ($60.00 AS&S plan) for 2 whole years for the crappy service when most people outside the States only need to pay $199 for the iPhone? (If this info is correct) This is BS.

Hey, if they're allowed to 'discriminately' force me to pay the extra $1,440.00 then I'll just have to get my iPhone from abroad. I'll be having my buddy send me iPhones from abroad if I have to. And put them on eBay too, so people could have the freedom of choosing his/her own plan! This is America; why do we have to be stuck for 2 years paying overpriced plan with crappy provider?

If this is indeed true, that other countries don't have to spend an extra $1,440 for an iPhone then everybody should know about this.. and start BOYCOTTING the iPhone!!
mad.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #56 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't just put a sim card from an old non-iphone phone into the new iphone. I have no clue why they do this, but whatever.
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Wait, so an iPhone uses a different simcard? So, I can't use my t-Mobile prepaid card with an iPhone 2.0?

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #58 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me why we HAVE TO pay the extra $1,440.00 ($60.00 AS&S plan) for 2 whole years for the crappy service when most people outside the States only need to pay $199 for the iPhone? (If this info is correct) This is BS.

From what I read, the $199 for other countries is "also" subsidized, meaning you get to buy it for $199 "with" a service from that carrier - basically the same deal here in the USA. So I would anticipate that phones will be locked to certain carriers if you buy them at their respective stores. What happens when you buy the phone at an Apple store? I don't know for sure - would you have to "activate" the phone with a particular number of carriers before it will work???

Now, I anticipate that just like the current 2G can be Jailbroken by pure software (mine is - easy to do and undo), in a short while the same will be true of the 3G - then you will be able to use any SIM with it
wink.gif

Will
(I love my 2G iPhone, but want to get a 3G iPhone!)

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #59 of 113
Quote:

Hey, if they're allowed to 'discriminately' force me to pay the extra $1,440.00 then I'll just have to get my iPhone from abroad. I'll be having my buddy send me iPhones from abroad if I have to. And put them on eBay too, so people could have the freedom of choosing his/her own plan! This is America; why do we have to be stuck for 2 years paying overpriced plan with crappy provider?

If this is indeed true, that other countries don't have to spend an extra $1,440 for an iPhone then everybody should know about this.. and start BOYCOTTING the iPhone!!
mad.gif

Err... you're just waking up to the state of the cell market in the U.S. versus some places overseas?
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #60 of 113
Quote:

Your info is not correct. In fact, in France they were only allowed to do so because they were sued for not doing so. In the end, you had to pay close to 1000 Euro for a non-contract iPhone. In Germany you can only buy the iPhone in Telekom shops together with a contract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back