3D Sound Shop - Custom PRIRs for the Smyth Realiser A16
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #61 of 73
I alternate between 2 haedphones, one open and one closed. Is there an additional charge to do a prir for both of the same room. Thanks.
Are you thinking about getting a Personalized Demo for each headphone? If so, then yes. There would be a separate charge for the second headphone.

Please note... Store Credit (toward any PRIR purchase) will be given for one Personalized Demo.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #63 of 73
I have to say again that John is a very nice Person and provides a perfect support.
I can't thank him enough for his work and i hope he will have a lot of success with his project!
Glad to help... I love this hobby!

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #64 of 73
Update #1

Any previous or future 24 Channel PRIR purchase will be upgraded to 26 channels at no additional charge.

Why? When a customer purchases a 24 Channel (15.1.8) PRIR. It can be somewhat limited due to the hardware of the A16 Realiser. Using the Realiser in 24 Channel mode does not allow the user to share their listening experience with another user... In order to do this.. you would need to be in 16 channel mode. I think most people (with two users) would want to use a 9.1.6 listening room while in 16 channel mode. Unfortunately, the speakers included in the 15.1.8 listening room do not contain all the necessary speakers to create a 9.1.6 listening room... The 15.1.8 is missing the (Ltm and Rtm) left top middle and right top middle Atmos channels.

To correct this problem.. all of my 24 Channel PRIRs will be upgraded to 26 channels to include the Ltm and Rtm channels.

* Anyone who has already received their ordered 24 Channel PRIR will be given the update later next week.

Thanks, @CaptainFunk for reminding me of this oversight.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #65 of 73
Update #2

I have posted a new series of demo videos to test the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Localization of each speaker brand.

The new videos can be found here: https://3dsoundshop.com/speaker-comparison/

Make sure to unmute the audio. lol

* It may be a while before the videos populate themself on the main hosting server.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #67 of 73
I bought my first PRIR (Genelec) even though I was initially not super convinced by the demos on the website. After using manLoud to customise the PRIR to my ears I am just blown away, it sounds incredible! In my opinion, manLoud is the secret sauce of the A16. It is a night and day difference when comparing the PRIR with and without manLoud. Sure, it might not be as perfect as getting a custom PRIR but it is so much better than any PRIR I could do on my own. I just don't have the room, the speaker(s) and the knowledge.

What I also really like about the PRIR is that the room is acoustically treated and you can't really hear any reverberation. I find that with a lot of other PRIRs, there is too much room sound that can absorb small/quiet details in the sound.

To everyone who is not fully convinced by the demos on the website, buy a PRIR anyway and use manLoud to customise it to your ears, it makes all the difference!

And to everyone who bought a PRIR already, try manLoud to make it sound even better.

Thank you @Litlgi74 for doing all this work and offering us the PRIRs at a very fair price. 5/5 stars!

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #68 of 73
I have not had much success with man-loud. Maybe I did something wrong. I tried it with the BBC prir and the default sounded much better for me. Anyways the unmodified Prirs by John work perfectly for me.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #69 of 73
As promised, all previous 24 Channel PRIR purchases have been upgraded to 26 channels and have been delivered.

Happy Listening!
Yeah, John. In figuring out what was needed for me to do a PRIR for my new Metas, I did look at how the channels matched up between the 16 and 24 channel, and noticed that it wasn't as simple as just adding two additional channels on top to get to the ".8." Saw I will need to add four top channels the 16 channel PRIR lacks and omit the Ltm and Rtm. Fortunately, following Audio Hobbits method will give me 12 of the bottom 16, using 30 degree angles, so I'll just need to add the 4 virtual speakers that require the 15 degree angles. Even so, it is a lot of work.

I may want to pay you a visit next year when you get the in person PRIR segment of the business going. There are a couple speaker systems on the menu that I'd love to have if available for in person measurement.

BTW, folks, the LS 50 Metas especially when paired with an SVS sub (I'm using an SB 2000, John is using an SB3000 which is even better) are absolute all stars. I figured out how to set up a surround set up using my original LS 50s as the back channels, and the Metas up front with Purifi Eigentact amps, an Octo Dac 8 Pro as my multichannel dac, and JRiver as my surround processor, and all I can say is wow. I still need to set up Dirac Live multichannel on JRiver today. But even without that, wow.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #70 of 73
I finally had some time this weekend to fully test my new setup with the Genelec PRIR and also try the 24 channel mode, which I haven't done before due to lack of PRIRs.

I am just speechless! I initially thought 24 channels can't be that much better but it does add another dimension to the experience. I used the Realiser A/B comparison mode to switch between a 24/16 channel presets, the 24 channel preset just sounds "fuller", I can't really describe it. I listened to some Dolby Atmos music on Apple Music and I literally had tears in my eyes, the sound was that good!

Wondering if I should buy another PRIR, but I am not sure if other PRIRs would be that different since they are all EQ'd, am I correct?

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #72 of 73
I got three. It’s fun to have three great sets of virtual speakers. Genelec is my preference for most films but B&W blows everything away for music and Focal is excellent for movies too. The differences are very enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back