$350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC
Nov 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #286 of 326
Just got the official press release for Herus+ and I thought folks here might be interested. I'm losing the format here but that's OK....

Resonessence Labs are proud to announce the addition of HERUS+ to our growing list of award
winning Audio DAC's. HERUS+ will add the following features to the HERUS unit:
• Redesigned PCB.
• The ability to select between two digital filters to optimize the listening experience. 
• Low Power mode for iPhone and Android cell phone users.
• Improved Volume Control Sensitivity levels 
(this feature will shortly be made available for existing HERUS owners.)
• Improved ESD tolerance.
• Increased on-board Memory.
These enhancements demonstrate our continued commitment to produce world class Audio products at
affordable prices. A more complete description of the technical differences between HERUS and
HERUS+ can be found here: http://resonessencelabs.com/herus-overview/
High Resolution Photographs of HERUS+ can be found here: http://resonessencelabs.com/herusplus-
press-release/
The Password to open this page is Kelowna.
Priced at $425 USD HERUS+ will start shipping in mid November. Pre-orders are now being taken.
Free shipping in North America on all orders received prior to 21st November 2014.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #287 of 326
How about starting a list of IEMs that work well/don't work well with the Herus? I'd love some recommendations!

Work Well:
????

Don't Work Well:
Etymotic HF5 (high noise floor, background hiss)

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #288 of 326
  How about starting a list of IEMs that work well/don't work well with the Herus? I'd love some recommendations!

Work Well:
????

Don't Work Well:
Etymotic HF5 (high noise floor, background hiss)

I just tried the Herus last weekend with 2 iems and both give audible noise:

Dita Answer: Low amount of hiss, noticeable when no song is playing.

Hidition NT6: Higher amount of hiss compared to the Answer.

In the end, I didn't get the Herus as I still mainly listen to earphones.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #291 of 326

I just tried the Herus last weekend with 2 iems and both give audible noise:

Dita Answer: Low amount of hiss, noticeable when no song is playing.

Hidition NT6: Higher amount of hiss compared to the Answer.

In the end, I didn't get the Herus as I still mainly listen to earphones.

Found the same thing, I wouldn't recommend it with sensitive IEMs, but with sensitive headphones, I was a BIG fan of the Herus. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #292 of 326
Guys, how would you compare this Herus DAC to Geek Out 1000?
It seems like they're in the same price range, using Sabre, small.
I'm interested in this unit. Do you guys think it's worth buying after owning a Geek Out 1000?

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #295 of 326
  Does anyone know if this will work fine with a LG G3 phone with a OTG cable?

What is the difference between the normal and + version of Herus?

It definitely works with the G2, I don't see any reason why the G3 would be different but you never know for sure until you try.

The G2 output 24/192 both with the native music app, and UAPP flawlessly.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #296 of 326
Intresting Oppo HA-2 vs Herus 
cool.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #297 of 326
cool.gif

replied to your query in the HA-2 thread. can offer more direct side-by-side comparisons later if requested.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #299 of 326
cool.gif

@Uberzone & @3083joe,

sorry I didn't get back to you guys earlier. I ended up selling the Herus and keeping the HA-2. Differences were extremely subtle and basically really hard to call consistently in a blind test. I found the Herus seemed to have a brighter sound signature to my ears and I personally preferred the HA-2 sound. However, both are extremely high quality dacs. I think it really just depends on your intended application. For portable usage, the Herus' boxy shape (while smaller) is less convenient for a portable set-up. The Herus also drain power from your smartphone (though I believe the power drain has been improved in the Herus+), while the HA-2 does not if you use the provided cable. I ended up sticking with the HA-2 because I was primarily looking for a portable set-up and I felt that it offered a better value for the money.

this thread got buried among the other threads I am following, so I apologize for not responding sooner. Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #300 of 326
  @Uberzone & @3083joe,

sorry I didn't get back to you guys earlier. I ended up selling the Herus and keeping the HA-2. Differences were extremely subtle and basically really hard to call consistently in a blind test. I found the Herus seemed to have a brighter sound signature to my ears and I personally preferred the HA-2 sound. However, both are extremely high quality dacs. I think it really just depends on your intended application. For portable usage, the Herus' boxy shape (while smaller) is less convenient for a portable set-up. The Herus also drain power from your smartphone (though I believe the power drain has been improved in the Herus+), while the HA-2 does not if you use the provided cable. I ended up sticking with the HA-2 because I was primarily looking for a portable set-up and I felt that it offered a better value for the money.

this thread got buried among the other threads I am following, so I apologize for not responding sooner. Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

thanks for the info...been looking at either a herus+ or... but maybe i'll check out the ha-2 as well. mainly want something semi-portable that does DSD so i can also use it with my desktop system, but i guess i'll have to read a little more to see which fits my intended use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back