$300 RS-1 - is this a steal?
Jan 22, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #46 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No in-production model of Grados/Alessandros come with flats, what you are referring to is the Bowls. Flat pads intially came stock with the older vintage RS1's, but can now only be purchased from TTVJ. Ergonomically they're very flat, putting the driver pretty much right up against your ears, giving you much more upfront presentation with increased bass/lower mids with some sacrifice in highs, soundstage, and clarity. It's usually most optimal with RS series though and not as good with the SR headphones, from what I hear.

No I'm not referring to the bowls, the stock MS1 pads are just like the flats in size so the ears sit pretty much on the drive, what I would like to know is if its any difference in sound compared to the flats and if its worth the buy or the ms1 pads are pretty close.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #47 of 80
Quote:

Ergonomically they're very flat, putting the driver pretty much right up against your ears, giving you much more upfront presentation with increased bass/lower mids with some sacrifice in highs, soundstage, and clarity. It's usually most optimal with RS series though and not as good with the SR headphones, from what I hear.

i'm pretty happy with my reverse 414s.. have you any experience comparing these with the flats.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #48 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I'm not referring to the bowls, the stock MS1 pads are just like the flats in size so the ears sit pretty much on the drive, what I would like to know is if its any difference in sound compared to the flats and if its worth the buy or the ms1 pads are pretty close.

I always thought MS1's come with Bowls? If not, then I'd guess it would be the comfies... I couldn't tell you how they would be in MS1, but for the RS1 all it would do is muddle up and congest the sound further.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #49 of 80
Quote:

I always thought MS1's come with Bowls? If not, then I'd guess it would be the comfies... I couldn't tell you how they would be in MS1, but for the RS1 all it would do is muddle up and congest the sound further.

i believe the ms1 and ms1i have always come with the comfy pads. iirc even the sr125i now comes with comfy pads

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #50 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm pretty happy with my reverse 414s.. have you any experience comparing these with the flats.

Haven't tried the reverse 414's, but here's a good guide how the pads generally affect the sound.

Guide - Pad Choices for Grado Headphones (Update 4/12) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

From what I've read here, I'm assuming reverse 414's would be somewhere between bowls and flats... perhaps kind of like how it was when I tried reverse bowls.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #51 of 80
Quote:

I always thought MS1's come with Bowls? If not, then I'd guess it would be the comfies...

The MS1/MS1i has always shipped with comfies.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #52 of 80
Quote:

Haven't tried the reverse 414's, but here's a good guide how the pads generally affect the sound.

Guide - Pad Choices for Grado Headphones (Update 4/12) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

From what I've read here, I'm assuming reverse 414's would be somewhere between bowls and flats... perhaps kind of like how it was when I tried reverse bowls.

thanks for the link - i see that op dyed his 414 pads black, nice!

havent tried reverse bowls - didnt think they'd fit, sound interesting

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #53 of 80
I see. Most of the pics I've seen of MS1 on the net comes with bowls for whatever reason, so had the impression that they came stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

havent tried reverse bowls - didnt think they'd fit, sound interesting

Yup, they do fit reversed but it's just not too stable of a fit due to the depth of the inner pad.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #54 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can afford it go with the Little Dot MKIII if not go with the Little Dot I+.

why do you recommend the Little Dot 1+ over the MK II?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. Flats are amazing for the RS series. Expensive, but well-worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look just like stock MS1 pads with a hole whats the difference ?

now my brother and I bought my dad the Allessandro MS1i for his birthday just recently.

when i bought my headphones it was between the MS1i and the SR-125 (i ended up getting the SR-125 cus i could get them local)

so since we got my dad the MS-1i I obviously was interested to compare the two.

my Grado SR-125 (bowl pads) VS Alessandro MS-1i (flat pads)
I preferred the open sound of the bowl pads more. For my RS-1 would i get more of that if i eventually bought the G-cushion pads? (for the GS1000 and PS1000)

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #55 of 80
Little Dot I+ is great for Grados, particularly in the budget sector. Supposedly designed for low impedance cans like them. Really great amp to kick off with due to it's easy customisability via tube/opamp rolling.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #56 of 80
The Little Dot I+ is a hybrid amplifier. It combines the power of what Solid State amps can provide to low impedance cans like Grado's and the nice warm texture of tubes. A wonderful combo
biggrin.gif
BTW, pics ASAP
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #57 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Little Dot I+ is a hybrid amplifier. It combines the power of what Solid State amps can provide to low impedance cans like Grado's and the nice warm texture of tubes. A wonderful combo
biggrin.gif
BTW, pics ASAP
tongue.gif

so eventually...

Macbook/iPod --> Little Dot I+ <-- RS-1
and then maybe...
Macbook/iPod --> NuForce uDAC --> Little Dot I+ <-- RS-1
and then after that
Budget Duals Turntable from Craigslist --> Phonopreamp --> Little Dot I+ <-- RS-1

i guess i shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by cruizin caleb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the story. I woke up this morning and was distraught because i put on my SR-125s and, to my displeasure, i found that they were completely out in the right ear - no sound whatsoever.
I called the place i bought them in fall and they told me to send them to Grado and Grado will fix them for free because they are still under warranty.

So i'm doing that.

However I told the guy i had been thinking of upgrading to the 225 and he told me he actually has a used pair of RS-1s that he'd sell to me for $300. He said they were in perfect condition, they were just used with no more warranty and that i could come in at anytime and give them a listen.

Whatcha think?

Thats going to prison with your cell mate named Bubba worthy. The mid range alone is worth 300.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #59 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats going to prison with your cell mate named Bubba worthy. The mid range alone is worth 300.

Wait a minute! Your name is Bubba! What exactly are you saying here?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back