$300 RS-1 - is this a steal?
Jan 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #31 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by cruizin caleb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
button?

The round wooden button attached on the outside of the drivers in the center that says "RS-1". Newer RS-1s don't have those.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The round wooden button attached on the outside of the drivers in the center that says "RS-1". Newer RS-1s don't have those.

oh i remember it had that.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #34 of 80
I've heard the RS-1's are better than the 'improved' edition. Either way you're really lucky to have a deal like that.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #35 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at them and pay a reasonable deposit to seal the deal.

i just called the guy and asked if i could put a deoposit. he said i can for $75! i'll do that when i get my next paycheck (tomorrow i think?)

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #36 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the RS-1's are better than the 'improved' edition. Either way you're really lucky to have a deal like that.

It's all subjective

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #37 of 80
Entirely. That's why I have a RS-1 and RS-1i on the way to me right now. Going to do a careful comparison and keep that which is best for these ears. I assume at that point I can finally be content with whatever I chose as the "best" cans for me. (Unless, of course, it turns out that my roommates HF-2's mop the floor with the Reference Series cans. I hope not.)

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #38 of 80
so once i buy these i will be pretty much cleared out financially as far as spending. and all i have is a Fiio E5 amp lmao... which is probably an insult to these headphones. unfortuntatly thats going to have to work until March. any amp suggestions... the cheaper the better ha... Little Dot MK II?

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #39 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Entirely. That's why I have a RS-1 and RS-1i on the way to me right now. Going to do a careful comparison and keep that which is best for these ears. I assume at that point I can finally be content with whatever I chose as the "best" cans for me. (Unless, of course, it turns out that my roommates HF-2's mop the floor with the Reference Series cans. I hope not.)

Make sure you try both with different pads, too. Try both bowls and flats and see which one you like, I find that the difference is huge (for example, if I had tried my RS1 with only bowls... then they'd probably have been sold by now... but with flats I find them amazing). Apparently flats are better with the old RS-1's while the newer ones are more catered to bowls.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #40 of 80
If you can afford it go with the Little Dot MKIII if not go with the Little Dot I+.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #41 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you try both with different pads, too. Try both bowls and flats and see which one you like, I find that the difference is huge (for example, if I had tried my RS1 with only bowls... then they'd probably have been sold by now... but with flats I find them amazing). Apparently flats are better with the old RS-1's while the newer ones are more catered to bowls.

Indeed. Flats are amazing for the RS series. Expensive, but well-worth it.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #42 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. Flats are amazing for the RS series. Expensive, but well-worth it.

They look just like stock MS1 pads with a hole whats the difference ?

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #43 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i too would like to know.. perhaps they combine the best of the comfies and bowls

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #44 of 80
Quote:

No in-production model of Grados/Alessandros come with flats, what you are referring to is the Bowls. Flat pads intially came stock with the older vintage RS1's, but can now only be purchased from TTVJ. Ergonomically they're very flat, putting the driver pretty much right up against your ears, giving you much more upfront presentation with increased bass/lower mids with some sacrifice in highs, soundstage, and clarity. It's usually most optimal with RS series though and not as good with the SR headphones, from what I hear.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #45 of 80
Quote:

They're made of pretty much the same material that the bowls are manufactured with, so they're not soft like the comfies. Because the foam is denser and the configuration of the opening is different they have their own unique sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back