2359glenn | studio
May 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3,182 of 39,986
Quote:
Quote:
Happy ending Ultra, that's very good.
You'll have a good excuse for a few more beverages tonight!!!!!!!!!!

And Mexican food.... :wink:

I'll be right over....
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #3,183 of 39,986
Quote:

Big loss last night. That's gambling I guess
biggrin.gif

Anyway, good news from Customs. I have bugged the hell out of them again and the amp will be delivered on monday or tuesday. $100 customs fee, which is what I expected.
Good thing we put $200 on the customs form Glenn, at the rate of 50% customs fee it could have gotten quite expensive with the real value.

Pics next week that means
wink.gif

That's what I like 
thumbsup.gif
 to hear!

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #3,184 of 39,986
I hope the amp arrives tomorrow as I won't be home on Tuesday to unpack and listen to it! If it arrives tomorrow morning, I'm taking half a day off.
I went gambling again yesterday, and I made up for Thursday's loss and even more as doubled it. Paying customs fee: Check!
cool.gif

Why can't you gamble in NC, Glenn?

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,185 of 39,986
Quote:

I live in an old apartment building built in 1927. I run my entire system out of one outlet. One.

I didn't do it for the sound I did it because the voltage in my apartment drops quite a bit. It is an old apartment so when the refrigerator and fan are on along with the various stereo components, the voltage may drop to 105v. So the PPP is really there to screen out all of the clicks and snaps that I get when the refrigerator, coffee pot, crock pot, fan, and other electrical equipment turn on and off during the time I am listening to my stereo. Typically the PPP keeps the voltage at a constant 120v.

I have Duke Power in a fairly rural area and my power goes out whenever it rains! I have a power line conditioner set up before the electric panel and after the meter and UPS's on everything in the house that can live with them. Duke Power runs from about 70 volts to 140 spikes. They've killed hard drives and amps as well as tubes. I've given thought to running off of batteries for the music center,
I've invested almost as much into clean electricity as I have music! That said the power regenerators seem hyper expensive for minimal returns. I'm waiting to see something definitive. Meanwhile, I'm moving at the end of the month! The next buyer will probably be freaked out by the over wiring in the house . . . 

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3,187 of 39,986
Quote:
I have Duke Power in a fairly rural area and my power goes out whenever it rains! I have a power line conditioner set up before the electric panel and after the meter and UPS's on everything in the house that can live with them. Duke Power runs from about 70 volts to 140 spikes. They've killed hard drives and amps as well as tubes. I've given thought to running off of batteries for the music center,
I've invested almost as much into clean electricity as I have music! That said the power regenerators seem hyper expensive for minimal returns. I'm waiting to see something definitive. Meanwhile, I'm moving at the end of the month! The next buyer will probably be freaked out by the over wiring in the house . . . 

The power in NC does suck I have Piedmont Electric and all they do
is buy crappy power from Duke and resell it.
It has gotten better recently it used to go out every week.
It is not noisy it is just all over the place.

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3,188 of 39,986
Quote:
I hope the amp arrives tomorrow as I won't be home on Tuesday to unpack and listen to it! If it arrives tomorrow morning, I'm taking half a day off.
I went gambling again yesterday, and I made up for Thursday's loss and even more as doubled it. Paying customs fee: Check!
cool.gif

Why can't you gamble in NC, Glenn?

That is about it Bingo and the lottery no gambling
This is the Bible belt in the USA but that is OK it saves me money.

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #3,190 of 39,986
Quote:
Strawberries

We have been cleaning and making strawberry preserves all weekend I
ate so much I didn't feel will  maybe ate 100
some cut up to put on ice cream later

Dip them in melted chocolate. Drop them in champagne (right Ultra- ?)

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #3,191 of 39,986
Quote:

The power in NC does suck I have Piedmont Electric and all they do
is buy crappy power from Duke and resell it.
It has gotten better recently it used to go out every week.
It is not noisy it is just all over the place.

Two years ago, I bought a Monster Power Center Pro-2500. And returned it a week later. The unit would not come out of "Alarm mode protection." The audible alarm marred my beautiful music presentation - dare to say it was down-right-annoying.

Called up Tech Support; asked how to reset the unit. The Rep replied "Oh, you can't do it yourself. You'll need to send it in"  I was stunned by this revelation! A power conditioner... in 2011... without a "Reset Button?!" 
size]

I also learned that the alarm would be triggered again @ 120v +. If I have voltage swings from 120v-130v nightly, why 
size]
bother? We went ahead and got our $$$ back!

On another front, a couple of moons back, I asked Jack about getting a WA5 with a drive tube other than the 6SN7, like the C3m instead. He explained the windings for the transformer were done specifically for the 6SN7 tube. And that any other driver would require time, testing and money. Fair enough.

My question for you is one of adaptability: can the amp be retrofitted to take a different driver after production? Or not worth our time, money and effort?

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,192 of 39,986
Quote:
Quote:
Strawberries

We have been cleaning and making strawberry preserves all weekend I
ate so much I didn't feel will  maybe ate 100
some cut up to put on ice cream later

Dip them in melted chocolate. Drop them in champagne (right Ultra- ?)

French bubbly - so right, with so many things... especially tubes.

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,193 of 39,986
Quote:

Two years ago, I bought a Monster Power Center Pro-2500. And returned it a week later. The unit would not come out of "Alarm mode protection." The audible alarm marred my beautiful music presentation - dare to say it was down-right-annoying.

Called up Tech Support; asked how to reset the unit. The Rep replied "Oh, you can't do it yourself. You'll need to send it in"  I was stunned by this revelation! A power conditioner... in 2011... without a "Reset Button?!" 
size]

I also learned that the alarm would be triggered again @ 120v +. If I have voltage swings from 120v-130v nightly, why 
size]
bother? We went ahead and got our $$$ back!

On another front, a couple of moons back, I asked Jack about getting a WA5 with a drive tube other than the 6SN7, like the C3m instead. He explained the windings for the transformer were done specifically for the 6SN7 tube. And that any other driver would require time, testing and money. Fair enough.

My question for you is one of adaptability: can the amp be retrofitted to take a different driver after production? Or not worth our time, money and effort?

What amp are you talking about ??

The C3g would be a better candidate with a 6.3 volt heater the same as a 6SN7.
The C3m has a 20 volt heater.

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3,194 of 39,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What amp are you talking about ??

The C3g would be a better candidate with a 6.3 volt heater the same as a 6SN7.
The C3m has a 20 volt heater.

The WooAudio WA5...

I overlooked looking at the "heaters." 
size]

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,195 of 39,986
C3g is the one!
Thanks for incorporating that tube into your mono blocks.
It pairs so nicely with the GZ37 and the 300B.
Great design, Glenn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back