2359glenn | studio
Mar 9, 2012 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39,934

Silent One

What silence said... then nothing.
I created this thread as a place to foster the exchange of our audio pursuits with 2359glenn - Member of the Trade, as well as between each other. Some of us may already have or seek one of his custom amp builds, adapters or other audio solutions. And this is a place where we can discuss our activities...enjoy!

I first met Glenn when I sourced a pair of 6SN7>6DE7 adapters to place in my Woo Audio WA 6 Special Edition amp. Shortly thereafter, he asked if I'd like to audition other tubes and adapters in return for feedback. This was the start of a very satisfying relationship with the designer. And I learned a lot as he continued to solve problems or suggest mods for head-fier's with a wide variety of amps.

After sourcing tubes and adapters from Glenn for a year and a half, last month I decided I would buy my first amp from him in August. But then he released a 6AS7 based OTL amp. When I saw examples purchased by Xcalibur255 and Clayton SF, it was too much, I had to have one!

A couple of weeks in now, sitting on about 80 hours, there's new adventure inside the listening room. Will post new pix Fri/Sat. 

Learning to listen and love... all over again,

- Silent One

I am currently using a different rectifier and drive tube than shown in the pix below. The amp accepts rectifiers 3DG4-5AU4-5V3. This morning I have the General Electric 3DG4 rectifier, Tung-Sol 5998 & Tung-Sol BGRP 6SN7GT installed. The amp is still working its wonder during break-in. Will report back with impressions soon. 

900x600px-LL-58d6e186_SilverShadow3800x532.jpeg

41532d8e_DSC00184.jpeg

995ad725_Headfi2012047.jpeg

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 39,934
Thanks for the thread SO.
Glenn's work is first class that goes hand in hand with an excellent and trustworthy person.
Keep up the good work Glenn.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 39,934
I'll contribute my appreciation. I don't own one of his amps, but I was in disbelief when I heard the HD 650 on Clayton'g rig, as photographed above at the local meet. You hear about headphone and amp pairings, and to be honest I thought the idea of synergy meant taking a sound that you know and adjusting it... this pairing changed what I knew of the HD 650. I haven't yet heard this headphone out of a high-$$ amp, but after what I heard at the meet, I'm a lot less curious.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 39,934

Quote:
I'll contribute my appreciation. I don't own one of his amps, but I was in disbelief when I heard the HD 650 on Clayton'g rig, as photographed above at the local meet. You hear about headphone and amp pairings, and to be honest I thought the idea of synergy meant taking a sound that you know and adjusting it... this pairing changed what I knew of the HD 650. I haven't yet heard this headphone out of a high-$$ amp, but after what I heard at the meet, I'm a lot less curious.

Thanks, Lurkumaural. The optimum pairing is by no means an accident. When it came time to voice the amp during the build, the HD650's were the only headphones Glenn had on hand, I am told.  

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 39,934
She's looking good, if a little lonely on that maple platform!

Have you come up with a name for her (assuming female gender of course
wink.gif
) yet?
Glen made me a couple of 6F8G > 6SN7 adapters a while back, another completely positive experience weighing in
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 39,934

Quote:
She's looking good, if a little lonely on that maple platform!

Have you come up with a name for her (assuming female gender of course
wink.gif
) yet?
Glen made me a couple of 6F8G > 6SN7 adapters a while back, another completely positive experience weighing in
beerchug.gif

Thanks. Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Once the Woo cleared out, I found myself looking around the listening room. 
blink.gif
  No name yet. I did make a suggestion to Glenn that he name one or more of his configs so we can chat better. I'm sure he has other things on his mind, like sourcing...

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 39,934
I may not have one of Glenn's amps, but I do have his 596 rectifier adaptor. Thanks to him I can enjoy one of the best sounding and unique looking rectifiers for my amp. Cheers Glenn, and thanks for everything.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 39,934
Beautiful looking amps!

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 39,934
Audio interrupted!

I was very much looking forward to my listening session overnight to evaluate "spiking" my amp. It was not to be. I'm feeling under the weather with mild flu like symptoms; congested. Everything sounds muffled... even TV! I'm hoping my head and my ears will return to normal by Tuesday...

Ideally, I'd like to move up to a Maple block 4" thick. And possibly bigger brass footers like Mapleshade has. The current speaker spikes shown in the pix above are the ones used at RMAF the last two years by Mach2music (Mac mini music server) and some other vendors. 

The pursuit of bigger Maple and bigger brass could change, however. On Tuesday, the 6AS7 OTL amp is getting a new dance partner - Logictech Squeezebox Touch. The current Mac mini music server is using VIABLUE Tri-Absorbers. Since I'll be decommissioning the Mac, I may throw the Tri-Absorbers underneath the OTL amp. Obtain a refund for the spikes and send the Maple block down the hall for kitchen duty. 

To be clear, I'm not cheap I'm broke... there's a difference! 
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 39,934
No rack, just the corner of the computer desk.  This place isn't big enough for racks, though I will have to figure out something for the next amp.  That thing will probably weigh twice what this one does with all the chokes and output trannies, it might break the glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back