2359glenn | studio
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #39,872 of 39,986
Nice to see people enjoying their gear. I'm taking a forced break from mine at the moment. A new house was built next to me and the electricians did something to the distro box that feeds my place and ever since then every piece of audio equipment I own sounds terrible now. I'm currently researching to see how much I can salvage the situation through power conditioning, a rabbit hole that I've previously peered down into a few times, gone "eh, nope" and moved on.

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #39,873 of 39,986
IMG_7728.jpeg

Lookie here, I think side-by-side Glenn's are a rare site. I recently picked up this 10-tube SS-rectified Glenn and am looking forward to tube-rolling it and comparing it to my current 4-tube tube-rectified Glenn. Two on the table, one will go on to a better home - I'm just not sure which one yet. I finally got the tube-rectified one into a great place and found some near-silent.

For those with 4 or 6 power tube spots, a question - could I use a pair of 6ASG7s AND a pair of 6080s? I know I could use 2 pairs of 6080s or 2 pairs of 6AS7Gs, but can I use a pair of each?

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #39,874 of 39,986
https://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/ARTICLES/English/EI-FACTORY/EI-index.html
Now I have checked elsewhere. I recognize a spool of silk spun pure copper wire in a photo of his. This was used before enameled copper wire. Larger diameter wire was isolated by twisted paper in electric motors and such, transformers for instance. I have some of that silk spun wire and the silk is in between beige and pink in colour and pretty strong.
1701387770620.jpeg

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #39,875 of 39,986
IMG_7728.jpeg
Lookie here, I think side-by-side Glenn's are a rare site. I recently picked up this 10-tube SS-rectified Glenn and am looking forward to tube-rolling it and comparing it to my current 4-tube tube-rectified Glenn. Two on the table, one will go on to a better home - I'm just not sure which one yet. I finally got the tube-rectified one into a great place and found some near-silent.

For those with 4 or 6 power tube spots, a question - could I use a pair of 6ASG7s AND a pair of 6080s? I know I could use 2 pairs of 6080s or 2 pairs of 6AS7Gs, but can I use a pair of each?
No problem mixing power tubes as long as they are in pairs. The only limitation is the total current draw of all the tubes including a tube rectifier if you have one - max 13A total.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #39,876 of 39,986
Nice to see people enjoying their gear. I'm taking a forced break from mine at the moment. A new house was built next to me and the electricians did something to the distro box that feeds my place and ever since then every piece of audio equipment I own sounds terrible now. I'm currently researching to see how much I can salvage the situation through power conditioning, a rabbit hole that I've previously peered down into a few times, gone "eh, nope" and moved on.

Never tried so have no first-hand experience, or opinion, of it - but for your specific use case, may be worth researching PS Audio power regenerator. I think the principle of its engineering - which is to regenerate a clean AC - may be what you need. Good luck...

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #39,877 of 39,986
IMG_7728.jpeg

If you can afford it, and have the room, keep both of them. I don't think we'll see any more made.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #39,878 of 39,986
Never tried so have no first-hand experience, or opinion, of it - but for your specific use case, may be worth researching PS Audio power regenerator. I think the principle of its engineering - which is to regenerate a clean AC - may be what you need. Good luck...
I'm leaning towards the isolation transformer route right now, but like everything in audio there are cheeleaders and booers for every type of passive and active filtering so it's hard to know what will be effective.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #39,879 of 39,986
I'm leaning towards the isolation transformer route right now, but like everything in audio there are cheeleaders and booers for every type of passive and active filtering so it's hard to know what will be effective.

only way to find out is experiment... theory is theory, practice is practice... good luck!!!

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #39,881 of 39,986
A rather obscure double triode: 1642 / 2C21 / 38233.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1642.html

2023-10-30 13.42.43.jpg

To date, I have found RCA and KenRad. Raytheon also made it, but it's pretty rare. So not much tube rolling. And the adapters cost more than the tubes! lol :)

2023-12-21 15.30.17.jpg

Sounds very good, but it might not be worth chasing these, unless you are craving something a bit different. :)

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #39,883 of 39,986
This Tung-Sol branded 3DG4 has been in almost continuous operation in the amp since about 2012. I only really rolled rectifiers during the first year then decided to keep the 3DG4 as a known quantity and stick to rolling the other tubes. Especially in recent years the amp is on 8 hours a day at work, so I continue to be amazed at how this rectifier keeps going and going.

IMG_20240212_160015.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #39,885 of 39,986
I wish I could be involved in the discussion but Glenn has had my amp for 4 years now and I don't think I am ever getting it back. :disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back