2359glenn | studio
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #39,226 of 39,986
In my experience, tubes manufactured by the same company tend to sound the same or very similar. So start with the manufacturers you like.

Also, the vast majority of 7n7 were manufactured by Sylvania and a much smaller number were manufactured by National Union. Start with the tall bottles. Further, some folks believe that certain Sylvania 7N7 sound better than others. You might want to search for "Frankentube." :)
Thanks as always for your tube knowledge!

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #39,227 of 39,986
In my experience, tubes manufactured by the same company tend to sound the same or very similar. So start with the manufacturers you like.

Also, the vast majority of 7n7 were manufactured by Sylvania and a much smaller number were manufactured by National Union. Start with the tall bottles. Further, some folks believe that certain Sylvania 7N7 sound better than others. You might want to search for "Frankentube." :)
A $5 Frankentube that's scarily similar (internally) to a $100 6SN7W. :smile:

7N7 Frankie and 6SN7W.jpg

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #39,229 of 39,986
Kind of a weird general rule of thumb I have found with Sylvania tubes is that the bigger the getter flash is (meaning the more it extends down the sides of the glass) the better it seems to sound. I doubt it has anything to do with the getter itself, it just seems like the ones made to this design or at this factory seem to be their better tubes.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #39,230 of 39,986
National Union 7N7, to the right, and Sylvania, to the left. It's easy to differentiate between them when you see them side-by-side.

2014-01-14 16.03.05.jpg
Factoid , there were several 7n7 tubes , very likely National Union on board the B-29 Enola Gay used in repeater amplifiers for the control servo motors

Oct 2, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #39,231 of 39,986
Got my hand on Rad-0 earlier than I thought - gonna pair with Gle3n and see how it goes..

Will do an A/B with VC and report back :)

After 1-2 weeks of listening back and forth between the VC and RAD-0 using Gel3n (1-tube mode on VC and 2-tube mode with RAD-0), maybe it is because that Gel3n pairs better with planar? While VC is excellent on Gel3n, I find RAD-0 closer to my preference. Loss a bit of comfort and fun factor (the slam), but RAD-0 sounded more refine with greater treble and bass extension, and especially the vocal is more lush and stand out more. Listening to VC, I tend to focus to those instruments, e.g. wow the electric guitar sounds so good, the bass drum, snare, cymbals, they are so realistic, the accompanying violin is just right beside you, there's a cohesiveness throughout the music, together with the vocalist.

Listening to RAD-0 gave me a different presentation, the vocal is the main spotlight, and the rest falls in their place to compliment the vocal. Both of them are almost on par in detail retrieval with different presentation. With a heavy heart I had let go the VC (perhaps hoping to come back with some stabilized set one day), and to fund for the next tier cans.

I've seen Gel3n paired with 1266 with good result, not sure if there's anyone tried the Susvara on Gel3n? Based on the gut feeling Gel3n should have enough juice, but not too sure about the synergy between the two.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #39,232 of 39,986
After 1-2 weeks of listening back and forth between the VC and RAD-0 using Gel3n (1-tube mode on VC and 2-tube mode with RAD-0), maybe it is because that Gel3n pairs better with planar? While VC is excellent on Gel3n, I find RAD-0 closer to my preference. Loss a bit of comfort and fun factor (the slam), but RAD-0 sounded more refine with greater treble and bass extension, and especially the vocal is more lush and stand out more. Listening to VC, I tend to focus to those instruments, e.g. wow the electric guitar sounds so good, the bass drum, snare, cymbals, they are so realistic, the accompanying violin is just right beside you, there's a cohesiveness throughout the music, together with the vocalist.

Listening to RAD-0 gave me a different presentation, the vocal is the main spotlight, and the rest falls in their place to compliment the vocal. Both of them are almost on par in detail retrieval with different presentation. With a heavy heart I had let go the VC (perhaps hoping to come back with some stabilized set one day), and to fund for the next tier cans.

I've seen Gel3n paired with 1266 with good result, not sure if there's anyone tried the Susvara on Gel3n? Based on the gut feeling Gel3n should have enough juice, but not too sure about the synergy between the two.

I like my VC with the GEL3N, but I like it on the GOTL better....better match to my ears. I have liked all of the planars that I have tried on the GEL3N, again, better match to my ears.
It is not all about the power either...my GS-X mk2 puts out more power, but that does not mean that it sounds better, way more to it than that.
There may be some headphones that need the extra juice, but for vast majority of headphones the needing more power is more of a wish than a need IMO.
My dream is for ZMF to eventually make a planar :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #39,234 of 39,986
Oct 5, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #39,237 of 39,986
L0rdGwyn and Gibosi would be a perfectly matched and balanced pair!!
Does that make bcowen & […..] an unbalanced pair?…

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #39,239 of 39,986
Oct 9, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #39,240 of 39,986
Needing help figuring out WE 422a rectifier tube voltage drop.

Recently I acquired a WE 422a. It tests well and functions well in a 421a amp.

I have read 422a is a direct replacement of 5u4, but could find voltage drop information on its spec sheet. 5U4G has voltage drop of 44.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back