2359glenn | studio
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #39,243 of 39,983
I have been listening to my planars for the last couple of weeks.
I plugged my dynamics back in a couple of days ago.

I wish I would have bought another set of these Fivre 6C5G when I had the chance when the price was pretty good.
They are very nice sounding tubes.

OTL Fivre.jpg

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #39,244 of 39,983
I have been listening to my planars for the last couple of weeks.
I plugged my dynamics back in a couple of days ago.

I wish I would have bought another set of these Fivre 6C5G when I had the chance when the price was pretty good.
They are very nice sounding tubes.

OTL Fivre.jpg

Yes those are great tubes. The ST type are indeed tough to find these days. Langrex still has a few black and brown base in the straight glass.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #39,245 of 39,983
I'm following a more prosaic road, not as exotic as many others here, and am now enjoying an "All American" roll. :)

Using 6B-7 as output tubes, 4 or 6, allows the use of 5U4G rectifiers. So today, a National Union 5U4G, four Tung-Sol 6BX7 and a pair of Raytheon Type 76. It sounds good, but I haven't had the Raytheons in all that long. Before, I was listening to Ken-Rad Type 76, and I think I prefer them. But to be fair to the Raytheons, will keep listening.

2021-10-18 16.05.09.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #39,246 of 39,983
I'm following a more prosaic road, not as exotic as many others here, and am now enjoying an "All American" roll. :)

Using 6B-7 as output tubes, 4 or 6, allows the use of 5U4G rectifiers. So today, a National Union 5U4G, four Tung-Sol 6BX7 and a pair of Raytheon Type 76. It sounds good, but I haven't had the Raytheons in all that long. Before, I was listening to Ken-Rad Type 76, and I think I prefer them. But to be fair to the Raytheons, will keep listening.

2021-10-18 16.05.09.jpg
For the sake of global peace I think you should roll US, Russian and Chinese tubes together. Have you tried Linlai tubes?

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #39,248 of 39,983
Recently tried to pair Susvara with Gel3n tube amp, shall report back after some extensive listening. Do not have anything more powerful to push yet as of now.

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #39,249 of 39,983
186rnep.jpg

Just some initial impression of first night listening to Susvara paired to Glenn el3n tube.

Well, it is nothing short of impressive and breath-taking moment. Firstly, susvara itself is seriously a God-tier pair of headphones compared to all my previous cans - ZMF VC, Rosson RAD-0, LCD-X etc. With Gel3n under two tube mode and volume knob at around 12 o'clock, I would say it drives Susvara with full authority - superb dynamic, deep and hard slamming taunting bass, excellent separation and imaging, buttery smooth vocal and high. I know a lot of Susvara owner paired it with speaker amp, but till then, I must say I enjoy every single bit of it coming out from Gle3n so far, and don't think it is underdrive in any single way.

I am sticking to this setup for a little longer while, shall there be an opportunity to compare a speaker amp, I will do an A/B comparison and see how does Gle3n stacks up against speaker amp :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #39,250 of 39,983
186rnep.jpg

Just some initial impression of first night listening to Susvara paired to Glenn el3n tube.

Well, it is nothing short of impressive and breath-taking moment. Firstly, susvara itself is seriously a God-tier pair of headphones compared to all my previous cans - ZMF VC, Rosson RAD-0, LCD-X etc. With Gel3n under two tube mode and volume knob at around 12 o'clock, I would say it drives Susvara with full authority - superb dynamic, deep and hard slamming taunting bass, excellent separation and imaging, buttery smooth vocal and high. I know a lot of Susvara owner paired it with speaker amp, but till then, I must say I enjoy every single bit of it coming out from Gle3n so far, and don't think it is underdrive in any single way.

I am sticking to this setup for a little longer while, shall there be an opportunity to compare a speaker amp, I will do an A/B comparison.
Very nice and congrats on that headphone...I bet this sound heavenly :)

Oct 21, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #39,251 of 39,983

A little update. I have swapped in an old Ken-Rad 5Z3 rectifier and a pair of NU Type 76. This sounds good to me, and I think I will live with this for a while. :)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #39,252 of 39,983
Anyone using the GOTL with ZMF Auteur's? I need to listen to mine more, and was wondering what everyone's favorite tubes are to pair with them.

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #39,253 of 39,983
Anyone using the GOTL with ZMF Auteur's? I need to listen to mine more, and was wondering what everyone's favorite tubes are to pair with them.
@L0rdGwyn had this combo for awhile I know....not sure what his favorite tube combo was that he used.
I heard the Auteur on my GOTL before , but it was brief and years ago, not sure what tubes were even in the amp but I remember liking the overall sound as much as my HD800 and I liked the bass better on the Auteur.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #39,254 of 39,983
186rnep.jpg

I am sticking to this setup for a little longer while, shall there be an opportunity to compare a speaker amp, I will do an A/B comparison and see how does Gle3n stacks up against speaker amp :)
Incredible setup... however did you manage to keep your car. Kinda cost my entire house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back