2359glenn | studio
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #38,446 of 39,983
OK...someone bought them...I can rest easy :relaxed:
Hopefully someone from here grabbed them. Would be nice to hear other's thoughts of those tubes being using in one of Glenn's amps.

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #38,447 of 39,983
The other day i spoke about a Sophia Princess 274B that had a abnormal glow to it seemed to bright .Well today i checked it out and glass was somewhat cloudy so pretty sure its done .The other Sophia i have glass is clear.

Attachments

• P1140306.JPG
    P1140306.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • P1140308.JPG
    P1140308.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #38,448 of 39,983
Hopefully someone from here grabbed them. Would be nice to hear other's thoughts of those tubes being using in one of Glenn's amps.
I am doing my best to stay in the "don't buy any more tubes mode" :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #38,449 of 39,983
Let me know how that works for you. The vaccine I took has only been partially effective. :laughing:

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #38,451 of 39,983
Let me know how that works for you. The vaccine I took has only been partially effective. :laughing:
I know, it is hard not to pull the trigger sometimes....I am giving myself a B Grade of not buying since the new year.

And the vaccine hasn't worked at all for me! lol :)
Ken, don't even bother as the vaccine will in no way help you . LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #38,453 of 39,983
Probably the only thing that could "cure" me is a wife. lol :)
Ha! Maybe just keep the "girl friend" and have the best of both worlds! :grinning:

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #38,454 of 39,983
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #38,455 of 39,983
Ha! Maybe just keep the "girl friend" and have the best of both worlds! :grinning:

I wish! But since she lives in another country and international travel is bit too risky (for me at least), I am enjoying the "best" of being single. :)

In some cases, the cure is worse than the disease. :laughing: :sweat_smile:

Well in another time and place I was married for 40 years, so I completely understand your logic. :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #38,456 of 39,983
I am doing well this year as well, but @chrisdrop almost managed to mess me up over on the 6J5 thread. Thankfully I have those tubes, but a genuine pair of NOS would be nice to go with some Fivre boxes I have.

I got some really nice old 4699 and 4654 wartime tubes from Germany today (ordered end of December!) that I can use in my DAC, preamp, and upcoming headphone amp (can also use in the GLE3N). I'll have to post up pics once I've cleaned the pins.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #38,457 of 39,983
The other day i spoke about a Sophia Princess 274B that had a abnormal glow to it seemed to bright .Well today i checked it out and glass was somewhat cloudy so pretty sure its done .The other Sophia i have glass is clear.
That looks like getter burn off to me and is harmless. If your tube is gassy you'll see a hazy nebulous glow in the tube (because there is gas in there that shouldn't be there). That smokey film you see on the glass is a common occurrence for tubes that have been used for a decent number of hours.

The filaments getting very bright is harder to diagnose. Some tubes do this normally, others only if they are being operated in a circuit that's slamming them with too much startup current or possibly has an incorrect first cap value for the tube.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #38,458 of 39,983
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #38,459 of 39,983
I wish! But since she lives in another country and international travel is bit too risky (for me at least), I am enjoying the "best" of being single. :)

Well in another time and place I was married for 40 years, so I completely understand your logic. :)

Yeah, international travel is a bit risky for sure.
Maybe by sometime this summer things can get back to some type of normal, even if at a small level.
I am dying to go see some live music!
My wife and I enjoyed that little pizza joint by you that has live entertainment. They make you a pizza in about 2 minutes in that coal fire pizza oven and
at times have some nice blues players there. I remember seeing Albert Cummings there and he did a great show, plus the place is so small he would walk around and talk to everyone.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #38,460 of 39,983
Yeah, international travel is a bit risky for sure.
Maybe by sometime this summer things can get back to some type of normal, even if at a small level.
I am dying to go see some live music!
My wife and I enjoyed that little pizza joint by you that has live entertainment. They make you a pizza in about 2 minutes in that coal fire pizza oven and
at times have some nice blues players there. I remember seeing Albert Cummings there and he did a great show, plus the place is so small he would walk around and talk to everyone.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before we can listen to live music or hop on a plane going to another country. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back