2359glenn | studio
Mar 17, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #38,476 of 39,983
Who else owns these bendix tubes? Do you like them?
If its slam and ridiculously wide staging youre after, look no further. I like my pair, but prefer the 6x 6bx7s w/ VC. I dont really listen to other headphones anymore, though If I recall correctly they sounded really good with the Sennheiser HD250.

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #38,477 of 39,983
Mar 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #38,478 of 39,983
Wow, the first quad went to big prices and then the second auction at about half. A pair just sold this morning for $450. (About the same as the 2nd auction)

I noticed there was a lot of chatter on headfi after the first auction(complaints about the relisting with same measurements and pictures, problems with soldered pins on one of the tubes, and that some thought either it was a seller bidding it up and relisting and/or giving incorrect measurements)

after talking to the seller and seeing all their other listings I don’t believe it was shady but more or less a lazy (and financially devastating) poor choice not to take new pictures of his other quad set and remeasure the tubes. (Maybe they tested the highest possible and that’s why they put 99/99? I dunno enough to comment). I wonder if most of the bidders of the first auction was on headfi and after talking here about it a lot of the buyers were put off by it thus not bidding on the second auction?

clearly a quad of NOS bendix 6070wb are worth more than $480 as another pair sold for $450 this morning. What your guys thoughts? How many budded on the first listing and not the 2nd? I for one did but felt disenfranchised after seeing how high it went that I ignored the second one only to realize that I wished I did bid on it. I don’t think the second auction would of been the same as I tired thus not having that pin issue on the one tube. I just pulled the trigger on a pair for $400 so the quad for $500 would have been ideal.

I like them but would never pay those prices for them. If you are patient you can pick them up here and there for a lot less like I did here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6080WB-Ele...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They are getting harder to find as time passes though, once someone talks up a tube it’s all over as everyone tries to grab them. What thread were all the conversations happening on those tubes? I saw them on the bay and thought people were having a bidding war and lost sight of how much they were really bidding. When I used to sell on eBay I used to try to time my auctions to end on Friday and Saturday nights knowing a lot of people did drunk bids at that time, unfortunately overtime you got a lot of deadbeat buyers or others with buyers remorse and with the fees it wasn’t worth it anymore. 😉

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #38,479 of 39,983
I like them but would never pay those prices for them. If you are patient you can pick them up here and there for a lot less like I did here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6080WB-Electron-Tube-Lot-of-1/124571031046?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They are getting harder to find as time passes though, once someone talks up a tube it’s all over as everyone tries to grab them. What thread were all the conversations happening on those tubes? I saw them on the bay and thought people were having a bidding war and lost sight of how much they were really bidding. When I used to sell on eBay I used to try to time my auctions to end on Friday and Saturday nights knowing a lot of people did drunk bids at that time, unfortunately overtime you got a lot of deadbeat buyers or others with buyers remorse and with the fees it wasn’t worth it anymore. 😉

The prices lately have been wild. Even the Chatham versions seem to be getting pricier. Love these tubes in my bottlehead crack with ZMF headphones. Lovely enveloping slam without being too thick or muddy. It’s a shame they’re getting harder to find at good prices.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #38,480 of 39,983
I got two pairs awhile ago myself. Do yours do that Mullard glow when you fir them up?

Check this: https://imgur.com/gallery/QoNZPUF
It seems to me that what you call a Mullard Glow is a quick heat feature which can be found in other makes as well. The first time it happened to me I got scared that the tube was blowing up lol.

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #38,481 of 39,983
Mar 17, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #38,482 of 39,983
You guys scored some good deals. I’d be surprised to see any go that cheap anymore unless from an inexperienced seller. I’d jump on any $150 and lower.

@Galapac bummer I checked one pair and it doesn’t do that. I was really hoping it did. Maybe my other pair will!

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #38,483 of 39,983
You guys don’t think the bendix tube is worth $200 apiece. If not what do you judge their value based on other rare totl
Quality power tubes?

it seems like 5998’s NOS go for about $150, GEC 6080 a bit higher, non bendix 6080wb’s about $125 give or take a bit.
421a at about $200-250 NOS. (Is this a better tube than the bendix or just rarer?)

5998 seem the easiest to get as they pop up a lot. The others seems harder to find.

langrex had a pair of mullard 6080’s for under $100 which seemed like a great deal!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #38,484 of 39,983
@Akiravelvet - Not all of them do but some of the European ones do and some Bendix as well. Seems to be the tubes that have a delayed start. I have a Bendix that does it with a blue glow.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #38,485 of 39,983
Some tubes command prices because they are popular and scarce. I can remember just a year or two ago tube prices were much cheaper and plentiful but over time the finite supply has been snapped up by the growing audiophile base. I think COVID had something to do with it as suddenly more people were home and had home offices and could listen to music more so the audio market has exploded during the pandemic. So supply and demand has driven the price of tubes up up up IMO.

I think the Svetlana 6N13S are a hidden gem as they sound really good for the price and mix well with other tubes, but that is suggestive as everyone’s ears are different. You can usually find a pair for $40-$45 so you will not break the bank on them.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #38,486 of 39,983
Some tubes command prices because they are popular and scarce. I can remember just a year or two ago tube prices were much cheaper and plentiful but over time the finite supply has been snapped up by the growing audiophile base. I think COVID had something to do with it as suddenly more people were home and had home offices and could listen to music more so the audio market has exploded during the pandemic. So supply and demand has driven the price of tubes up up up IMO.

I think the Svetlana 6N13S are a hidden gem as they sound really good for the price and mix well with other tubes, but that is suggestive as everyone’s ears are different. You can usually find a pair for $40-$45 so you will not break the bank on them.
The military designation of 6N13S is 6N5S. Apparently this tube, although the same as 6N13S,
is made to tighter tolerances than the 6N13S. Not long ago these tubes were $5 a piece, but you can find them for less than $30/pair today. Here is one offering:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N5S-6N13S...711492?hash=item3fe75f2344:g:ua4AAOSwMoxfMXxL

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #38,487 of 39,983
Wow, the first quad went to big prices and then the second auction at about half. A pair just sold this morning for $450. (About the same as the 2nd auction)

I noticed there was a lot of chatter on headfi after the first auction(complaints about the relisting with same measurements and pictures, problems with soldered pins on one of the tubes, and that some thought either it was a seller bidding it up and relisting and/or giving incorrect measurements)

after talking to the seller and seeing all their other listings I don’t believe it was shady but more or less a lazy (and financially devastating) poor choice not to take new pictures of his other quad set and remeasure the tubes. (Maybe they tested the highest possible and that’s why they put 99/99? I dunno enough to comment). I wonder if most of the bidders of the first auction was on headfi and after talking here about it a lot of the buyers were put off by it thus not bidding on the second auction?

clearly a quad of NOS bendix 6070wb are worth more than $480 as another pair sold for $450 this morning. What your guys thoughts? How many budded on the first listing and not the 2nd? I for one did but felt disenfranchised after seeing how high it went that I ignored the second one only to realize that I wished I did bid on it. I don’t think the second auction would of been the same as I tired thus not having that pin issue on the one tube. I just pulled the trigger on a pair for $400 so the quad for $500 would have been ideal.

These are definitely some of the best power tubes and one of my favorites.....the 5998 used to be my favorite when I first got my amp, but over the years the Bendix has taken over that spot.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #38,488 of 39,983
These are definitely some of the best power tubes and one of my favorites.....the 5998 used to be my favorite when I first got my amp, but over the years the Bendix has taken over that spot.
For a long time the GEC 6080 and the Bendix 6080WB were my favorites. Then I discovered the neutral Chatham 6AS7G, and now, the warm RCA 6AS7G. In the past the latter two never appealed to me, but at this time they pair beautifully with specific driver tubes I am using from the 6J7 family.
Life is more complicated when you don't have a single go to favorite power tube, but the rewards are there when you get the unexpected synergy with tubes that don't come to mind so readily.
And then there are the "museum pieces" of GEC 6AS7G/A1834 that are too expensive for use and are being saved lol.
Speaking of tube prices; here is a new high for Russian 6SN7 equivalent tubes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6h8c-6sn7-...458737?hash=item3b3d9840f1:g:4t0AAOSwLtZd36rI

I used to buy the 6H8C Foton tubes for $2....

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #38,489 of 39,983
Wow, but that seller wege_high_tubes always has an endless supply rare high end tubes. Its like he saved all the best tubes years ago and had the foresight to keep them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back