2359glenn | studio
Mar 19, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #38,506 of 39,986
I couldn't stick with it. I sometimes wonder if the field has changed enough in the last 25 years to make it worth trying again, but then I just sigh and the thought passes.
Has been many years since I was paid to write code! I have been doing marketing, mostly.
I know... I know... switched over to the dark side (at least according to my friends who still write code :wink:)

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #38,507 of 39,986
Why do I get the feeling most people on here have an engineering, computer, or math background? Computing for me. Although I like to pretend I'm a mountain biker.
I stupidly majored in Business Administration. And after 35 years of operations management and spending most of my time trying to "motivate" people to do their friggin' jobs, I wish I'd majored in something else. Anything else. Or become a plumber or something. :sweat_smile:

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #38,508 of 39,986
While of course, the thrill of paying a little to get great sound feels awfully good, for me the real thrill is finding synergy, especially from a combination of tubes that few if any have tried. This evening, rolled in a Mullard ECC33 with the Mullard 6080s and TFK rectifier, and it's surprisingly good. I never would have thought it! Synergy.

And having majored in Mathematics, I especially like that definition of synergy: 1 + 1 = 3. :)
Especially if it costs 1+ 1 + 1 = 2 !!

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #38,509 of 39,986
And having majored in Mathematics, I especially like that definition of synergy: 1 + 1 = 3. :)
That is also bangybang pricing rule #1.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #38,510 of 39,986
I stupidly majored in Business Administration. And after 35 years of operations management and spending most of my time trying to "motivate" people to do their friggin' jobs, I wish I'd majored in something else. Anything else. Or become a plumber or something. :sweat_smile:
I majored in French / Literature, had to switch gears, out of college, in a recession —-> various job types —-> graduate school —-> finance / investment management. “One never knows, do one?”...😲😒😏😊...

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #38,511 of 39,986
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #38,512 of 39,986
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #38,513 of 39,986
I couldn't stick with it. I sometimes wonder if the field has changed enough in the last 25 years to make it worth trying again, but then I just sigh and the thought passes.
Still plenty of Java, C and C++ programmer jobs out there. But, the Cloud has changed everything. It is a totally different world in IT compared to 25 years ago.

Has been many years since I was paid to write code! I have been doing marketing, mostly.
I know... I know... switched over to the dark side (at least according to my friends who still write code :wink:)
I still code. Yes you switched to the dark side :)

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #38,514 of 39,986
This conversation is kind of prescient for me right now actually. I'm steadily reaching the conclusion that it's best if I do something else somewhere else, but I am struggling mightily to fill in those blanks. We all do of course, these questions are never easy for anybody, but man do I feel lost right now. Half of what kicked off my great 6J5 review fest in the 6J5 thread is that I really needed a little project to focus my thoughts on so that I wasn't dwelling on this ALL of the time like I've been doing.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #38,515 of 39,986
I still code. Yes you switched to the dark side :)
Couple years ago, a friend reached out and asked if I wanted to join his company and switch to the dark side... Told him I am in marketing, so already switched to the dark side!
What would be considered switching to the dark side from marketing, you may ask? Apparently, sales...
(I politely declined!)

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #38,516 of 39,986
I bridged two fields with Computer Engineering. Have worn many hats in the field. You name it, I’ve done it.
I have been in the IT field for over half my life and it has been rewarding and challenging, but lately mostly challenging.
And here I thought tech would make my job easier over time. It just keeps getting faster and faster with no signs of ever slowing down.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #38,517 of 39,986
This conversation is kind of prescient for me right now actually. I'm steadily reaching the conclusion that it's best if I do something else somewhere else, but I am struggling mightily to fill in those blanks. We all do of course, these questions are never easy for anybody, but man do I feel lost right now. Half of what kicked off my great 6J5 review fest in the 6J5 thread is that I really needed a little project to focus my thoughts on so that I wasn't dwelling on this ALL of the time like I've been doing.
I feel for 'ya man. I was at the same point myself several months ago. I'd been with the company for 13 years, had a good salary, and it was a good company overall. But a restructuring about a year ago gave me a new boss who was the most putrid piece of human garbage that's ever walked the face of this planet. Absolute worst boss (by several orders of magnitude) I've had in my entire working career. So even though I wasn't ready to retire, I chose to retire from that situation for the sake of my mental health. Tough decision, but ultimately it was the right one (for me). I'm looking for something else (although not very hard :laughing:), and if worse comes to worse I have a 401k's worth of tubes I can peddle off. :smile:

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #38,518 of 39,986
Instead of being silver above the getters is black with what looks like dried bubbles on the edge. These are Tung sol 6080WB.
Ignore the permanent marker scribbles on top. Does anybody have tubes like this and why does it happen? Part of flashing and produces this instead of the silver mirror look?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #38,519 of 39,986
Instead of being silver above the getters is black with what looks like dried bubbles on the edge. These are Tung sol 6080WB.
Ignore the permanent marker scribbles on top. Does anybody have tubes like this and why does it happen? Part of flashing and produces this instead of the silver mirror look?

It depends on the chemicals used. I have seen black to grey to silver and sometimes almost a blackish rainbow, like you would see in an oil spill. In the end, it does the job and is nothing to worry about.

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #38,520 of 39,986

Glad to see you got the tubes safely! I honestly couldn't hear any difference between those and my Bendix slotted plate. Maybe if I spent more time with them I could hear something, but if there's a difference it's really hard to tell. I'm not sure why the slotted version is more popular. I think you have some coming in? Anyways, enjoy!

*also rubbing alcohol should take care of that sharpie on the top. I received it that way and never got around to cleaning it off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back