2359glenn | studio
Jun 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #37,006 of 39,983
I posted recently about some Klangfilm 70503 tubes I purchased, they arrived, thought I'd show them off once more where all the tubes junkies hang out :)

DSCF5731.jpg

These are a very linear 4V 1A IDHT, used in German radios and audio amplifiers from the 1930s, a variant of the Telefunken REN904, very well may have been manufactured by Telefunken, but I cannot say for sure. What I can say is they are excellent sounding drivers, huge staging, airiness and detail in spades, deep impactful bass, very similar character to other REN904 I own but not altogether identical soundwise, so perhaps there are internal construction differences. The tubes from this family had an exterior metallized coating for shielding. It is difficult to find NOS examples with the coating intact (it is more often flaking off or very oxidized), I was very happy to find these tubes, especially in such good condition with original boxes!

Here it is in a lineup with other REN904 in my collection, left to right in my best estimate of chronological order of manufacture. Later models of the REN904 were changed to a 0.65A heater. I recently added a voltage regulators to my amp such that I can use all types :ksc75smile:

DSCF5733.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #37,008 of 39,983
What I can say is they are excellent sounding drivers, huge staging, airiness and detail in spades, deep impactful bass, very similar character to other REN904 I own but not altogether identical soundwise, so perhaps there are internal construction differences. The tubes from this family had an exterior metallized coating for shielding. It is difficult to find NOS examples with the coating intact (it is more often flaking off or very oxidized), I was very happy to find these tubes, especially in such good condition with original boxes!

Super nice, LG!!! Wish I could hear them!

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #37,009 of 39,983
I posted recently about some Klangfilm 70503 tubes I purchased, they arrived, thought I'd show them off once more where all the tubes junkies hang out :)

DSCF5731.jpg

These are a very linear 4V 1A IDHT, used in German radios and audio amplifiers from the 1930s, a variant of the Telefunken REN904, very well may have been manufactured by Telefunken, but I cannot say for sure. What I can say is they are excellent sounding drivers, huge staging, airiness and detail in spades, deep impactful bass, very similar character to other REN904 I own but not altogether identical soundwise, so perhaps there are internal construction differences. The tubes from this family had an exterior metallized coating for shielding. It is difficult to find NOS examples with the coating intact (it is more often flaking off or very oxidized), I was very happy to find these tubes, especially in such good condition with original boxes!

Here it is in a lineup with other REN904 in my collection, left to right in my best estimate of chronological order of manufacture. Later models of the REN904 were changed to a 0.65A heater. I recently added a voltage regulators to my amp such that I can use all types :ksc75smile:

DSCF5733.jpg
Beautiful tubes! I am curious if these tubes have a two letter date code somewhere on the base by the tube pins?

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #37,010 of 39,983

DSCF5731.jpg

DSCF5733.jpg
Looks like an awards show! Nicely presented LOrdGwyn.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #37,014 of 39,983
If anyone is interested, here is a nice looking wood headphone stand at a discounted price today ($17:50):
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product...0263&cjevent=0100dfd6b95a11ea82d701490a24060c
1593360962461.png

Nice find mordy, that is a great price.

I must be anal about my pads, I hate them to be compressed while not on my head

I find that with leather pads that not having them compressed and by cleaning and using leather conditioner on them a couple of times a year that a good set of leather pads will last a nice long while.

DSC04141.JPG
I know....as I said I am a bit anal on my pads.....LOL

Carry on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #37,015 of 39,983
Hi whirlwind,
Didn't think about the pads being compressed, but my antique no cost headphone hanger doesn't compress the pads either.
Antique? Well it is a DOA 1939 TFK EL12:
1593363846336.png

The seller reimbursed me. Couldn't stand the idea of throwing it out and got the idea from a picture of somebody attaching an old tube to a wooden stand to make it into a headphone hanger. Tried it, but too difficult for me to manufacture a piece of wood with eight differently spaced and sized holes to insert the tube into, and glue it in. Then I thought of sticking the tube into a plastic wand and attaching it to my equipment rack with tie ties.
Found a plastic wand in my garage from an old vacuum cleaner - the tube base fit exactly with a pressure fit and I did not have to destroy anything.
"If necessity is the mother of invention, where do all unnecessary inventions come from?"
And don't worry about the tube breaking - them old tubes are quite strong!

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #37,016 of 39,983
Roll of the day...

2x Fivre 6J5GT (pic'd a few weeks back) + 2x Visseaux 6J7MG (pic'd a few days back). Outputs unchanged.

The Fivres are a bit brighter and delicate sounding, but very pleasing/ open. The Visseauxs were a bit more full in the mid-bass. I thought they might be a good compliment. Turns out, they are. I have had a restless, wandering few rolls and this one seems to be sticking!

20200628_181951.jpg

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #37,017 of 39,983

DSCF5731.jpg

DSCF5733.jpg

I see the treatment didn't work... Still hooked on tubes. :L3000:

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #37,020 of 39,983
Wow, dug out a couple of RCA clear top 12AU7s that I found within my stash of guitar amp tubes. Sound stage noticeably wider, and more separation between instruments as well. On my old tube amps, it was always tough to tell a major difference when rolling tubes. Definitely not the case with the Glenn OTL. Now I'm actually getting how tube rolling can be fun (and terribly addicting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back