2359glenn | studio
Jan 1, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #34,891 of 39,986
Happy New Year @chrisdrop !!

I heat 4x 6080 or 6AS7's externally....because it keeps a lot of heat out of the GOTL innards. The external transformer gets quite warm when running 4x of these (I can also 6x of them, if I want) and all that heat is NOT under the GOTL deck. Yes there is still some heat from the 6080's that transfers to the amp deck, even with socket savers, cause they are 'hot taters'. But the innards of the GOTL are much cooler in this scenario of heating them, externally. I am not mandating the practice for anyone else. If you run 4x 6080's for a few hours using the Lundhal with socket savers...no problem. But I tend to run the GOTL most of the day. So I admire keeping that heat out of the innards.

One more reason...my amp physically buzzes when I run 4x 6080's or 2x 6AS7G/2x 6080. It is coming from the Lundhal transformer. I saw a youtube video where a guy fixes his buzzing transformer by re-gluing the iron plates together. I could probably do that to make this one behave.

But the External Transformer for heating powers cures this problem, and has the side benefit of much less heat being transferred the GOTL innards.

BTW...my amp run WAY cooler and never buzzes when running 6x 6BX/BL7's...no need for an external Transformer in this scenario, imho.

Cheers :)

Springy (or other isolation) feet help if your transformer buzzes physically to reduce noise generated to your tubes.

My amp case is 33C presently w/ 6x 6BL7s running for 1/2 the day. The valve base is 45C. My whole amp runs a lot cooler since I sorted my power/ noise/ transformer/ choke jiggle.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #34,892 of 39,986
>>concentrating on output rolling

I have been really enjoying the 6j5 world and spent the past 2 months basically rolling them.

Now rolling outputs a bit because I have largely been unable to change outputs due to my (now defunct) power/ hum issues.

At some point, I will get the proper adapters for c3g sockets and move there!

>>reduce the heat to the chassis by using socket savers

@Deyan is working on a set of socket savers for me, with my thanks in advance of course!

>>two small fans (3-4")

I was looking for some small, low noise fans recently. I haven't gotten any yet - but I am sure they will come soon enough.

>> Disclaimer ..
If it all goes tits-up, I am coming to get ya! :punch::runner::punch:

>>I use a Bendix type graphite tube for slam and impact, and a RCA for warmth and mid bass. I think JV uses Sylvania/Mullard.

I have been really enjoying the Bendix as my main outputs. I didn't really like them with Brimar 6080s (which I think were fine on their own in 2x or 4x). I think the RCAs are not expensive, so I will perhaps grab a pair (or if I come across JV's pref'd).

>>a tube amp sounds better at high volume than at low volume, and some people try to adjust their sources so that the tube amp runs at high volume.

That is interesting, although not clear why that is good. I could certainly adjust the line-out level from my source. Does it have something to do perhaps with being in the more linear range of the valve's amplification function? (possible BS comment)
I scavenged my fans from obsolete PC fans and PC power supplies. The 12V wall warts (power supplies) are from old portable phone sets etc.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #34,893 of 39,986
Dropped a line to Billington for pricing. Not to be nosey,but whats a good price on the ST L63s?

Hey D - for a NOS shouldered gray glass pair, $120 would be a good price, $150 would be an average price, $200 would be on the high side, IME. I have four pairs of these tubes, so that is the sample size.

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #34,894 of 39,986
Dropped a line to Billington for pricing. Not to be nosey,but whats a good price on the ST L63s?
Martin Billington usually has them for 70 GBP each. It's where I've purchased most of mine from. Others have said you need to spend over 300 GBP to get them for that price, otherwise they will be more. Just go through the catalog - you'll get up to 300 GBP in no time :wink:

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #34,896 of 39,986
In preperation for my Monster's surgery,im going to do what LG did and sell off most of my sn7 tubes. If anyone in this thread needs some drop me a PM.

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #34,897 of 39,986
Happy New Year guys!

May the new year be filled with tube glows and glorious music!

A4CC7C3C-7AF7-43C0-96ED-BBAEB797AA7B.jpeg

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #34,898 of 39,986
Springy (or other isolation) feet help if your transformer buzzes physically to reduce noise generated to your tubes.

My amp case is 33C presently w/ 6x 6BL7s running for 1/2 the day. The valve base is 45C. My whole amp runs a lot cooler since I sorted my power/ noise/ transformer/ choke jiggle.

Absolutely no problem here either running 6x 6BX/BL7.

Problem here only occurs when running 4x 6080 or 6AS7’s.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #34,900 of 39,986
Best of luck with your surgery!!
Oh,im not getting surgery...my GOTL is. Glenn is doing the work so im sure it will turn out fine....But thanks for the concern! :beerchug:

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #34,901 of 39,986
Happy New Year guys!

May the new year be filled with tube glows and glorious music!

Great pic...I am currently running the same set-up, just different EL34's !

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #34,903 of 39,986
Oh,im not getting surgery...my GOTL is. Glenn is doing the work so im sure it will turn out fine....But thanks for the concern! :beerchug:
Ahhh it all makes sense now. You said “monsters surgery” as in what you call your amp. I thought you were speaking in the third person for some reason lol!

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #34,904 of 39,986
I have a pair of nice EL11 tubes that came with my (gone on walkabout) Feliks Euforia. From @Zachik's handy-dandy compatibility sheet - I see that I can get Deyan to make an adapter.

Does anyone regularly use/ recommend them to make the adapter relevant? It looks like the adapter covers {EL11, EL12N, EL13} so I guess the same question extends to the others.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #34,905 of 39,986
I have a pair of nice EL11 tubes that came with my (gone on walkabout) Feliks Euforia. From @Zachik's handy-dandy compatibility sheet - I see that I can get Deyan to make an adapter.

Does anyone regularly use/ recommend them to make the adapter relevant? It looks like the adapter covers {EL11, EL12N, EL13} so I guess the same question extends to the others.
The same adapter works for EL3N and EL8 as well. I am using Deyan's adapters for a pair of EL11 tubes with good results, but sometimes a driver tube sounds better with the extra two tubes and sometimes it sounds better without - trial and error.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back