2359glenn | studio
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #34,021 of 39,986
OK, I think a basic power question:

According to Glenn: "The amp can draw 250VA with the most powerful tubes in it like two 6336 or four 6AS7."

I am on UK power (230 V)

I am looking at a power device that outputs "max 10 amps"

How do I do the sums to sort out is it enough? What else can I plug in? I thought I understood this (somewhat) and now think I don't :)

Is this the gist? https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/va-to-amp.html Some Ohm's law rearrangement seems in order...

It is basically 250 watts so 250/240 = 1.04 amps the amp only has a 1.6 amp fuse in it.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #34,022 of 39,986
No what is insane is to rebuild the hole preamp to use a different tube.
Go from #26 tube to MH4 nuts

You know what is even more insane? Running back and forth from your house to your garage ten times to swap resistors in your amp because you suddenly feel very strongly that they do change the sound...

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #34,024 of 39,986
Yeah I thought of doing something like that, but I didn't actually think it was going to make a difference, so I didn't do it! Lol oh how I regret it.

I might have to go back and do it though, I've only been comparing two resistors, haven't even gotten to the other two...I don't think I have the stamina to do it today.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #34,026 of 39,986
Last night was an eye opening experience. It was my first experiment with a 6N7, a metal Ken Rad that I got for $5 (half of a pair that was $10, not a matched pair though). @mordy helped me identify it as being made in the 3rd quarter of 1942. It's in pristine condition, and looks like it's never been touched. I wasn't expecting much, even though the discussion yesterday indicated that 6N7s are great tubes in the GOTL. The best way I can sum it up is wow. This tube has some serious dynamics, mids are exceptional with just the right amount of euphony to them, bass is like other Ken Rad's I've tried, and the stage/separation was equally impressive. Treble was good too. Everything about it was a shock (although maybe not to others reading this). This was with Mullard EL32s and 6x 6BL7s. I was actually in the mood for somewhat of a relaxing listening session last night, and that's not at all what I ended up with from this tube (pretty sure it slapped me in the face a few times), but it was totally ok with me. I'll take those kinds of surprises any day of the week.

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #34,027 of 39,986
I don't think I have the stamina to do it today.
Some guys go to the gym, whereas LG is running back and forth with a 25 lbs amp... Bootcamp power training :wink:

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #34,028 of 39,986
Last night was an eye opening experience. It was my first experiment with a 6N7, a metal Ken Rad that I got for $5 (half of a pair that was $10, not a matched pair though). @mordy helped me identify it as being made in the 3rd quarter of 1942. It's in pristine condition, and looks like it's never been touched. I wasn't expecting much, even though the discussion yesterday indicated that 6N7s are great tubes in the GOTL. The best way I can sum it up is wow. This tube has some serious dynamics, mids are exceptional with just the right amount of euphony to them, bass is like other Ken Rad's I've tried, and the stage/separation was equally impressive. Treble was good too. Everything about it was a shock (although maybe not to others reading this). This was with Mullard EL32s and 6x 6BL7s. I was actually in the mood for somewhat of a relaxing listening session last night, and that's not at all what I ended up with from this tube (pretty sure it slapped me in the face a few times), but it was totally ok with me. I'll take those kinds of surprises any day of the week.
6N7 is totally under-hyped here!
I suspect some sneaky folks are secretly buying the entire available stash, before start praising it and create competition for themselves :wink:

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #34,030 of 39,986
Some guys go to the gym, whereas LG is running back and forth with a 25 lbs amp... Bootcamp power training :wink:

I regret nothing!

So, here is the lowdown on the resistors. The four I had to try were the Kiwame carbon film, TKD metal film, Vishay metal film, and Audio Note tantalum nitride thin film. As I got started, I decided I just didn't have it in me to swap all of these resistors in one sitting, so I'd do an abbreviated A-B for now and started with the Kiwame (since I had read much about them on DIY Audio forum), then I would put in the Audio Note tantalum, I figured these were the most expensive so I might as well keep them in the amp, not expecting to hear an undeniable difference...

Got listening to the Kiwame, "hmm, this sounds pretty darn good, smooth, laid back, spacious, and satisfying" I thought to myself, not really attributing any of it to the resistors. Went and swapped in the Audio Note tantalums in much more permanent fashion, clipped the ends and everything. Came back in to settle down, and immediately felt something was lost. The sound was brighter, more aggressive, a little less spacious, albeit probably more revealing.

At this point, pretty far into the afternoon having not eaten lunch, thought it could be my ears/brain playing tricks, but I had to be sure. So I ate, put the Kiwames back in, but left the Audio Note with one end attached for the sake of easily swapping one for the other. Sure enough, with the Kiwames back in place, my sense of satisfaction with the sound returned. I made this swap three or four more times with the same results, the Kiwames despite being $1 compared to $18 for the Audio Note (uh yeah, I spent $18 on a resistor) have a smoother, warmer, more laid back sound. The tantalums are brighter, more aggressive, and less spacious to my ears. I feel very confident at this point this was not some placebo, I expected the Audio Note resistors to be better.

So, apparently the 22K resistors do matter and do change the sound. Of note, the Kiwame are carbon film and 5W, the Audio Notes are tantalum nitride and 2W. Those crazy guys on DIY Audio were right...

Edit: wow, rereading this post, what I am hearing aligns very well with what Dsavitsk had said about the Kiwame versus metal films in two identical circuits. Never thought there was anything to this, I'm a bit shocked.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/carbon-film-vs-metal-film-revisited.121104/

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #34,031 of 39,986
6N7 is totally under-hyped here!
I suspect some sneaky folks are secretly buying the entire available stash, before start praising it and create competition for themselves :wink:

Well the 6N7 has won me over. I guess I should shut up about it and buy more while they're still cheap.

Agree. Early 40s Ken Rad 6N7 (metal jacket) is a great tube. True NOS in original military boxes available for $5 to $10!
But, LOL, there’s no $$$ prestige and it doesn’t glow in the dark.

Think there are still plenty of these available, as more people buy, more will be listed.
Doesn’t make sense to list a $5 tube that never sells.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-KEN-RAD-JAN-CKR-6N7-VT-96-Vintage-Tube-US-ARMY-US-NAVY-1944-WWII-6N7-NOS/303251719244?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #34,032 of 39,986
I dont think so. Time for a rack. :wink:
Ive yet to hear the Amber,but Fred tells me it can hold its own with the TRP....which takes tube rolling in combination with the GOTL to a silly level,but man does it sound good!

But I don't have room for a rack! I'm pushing it as is, there is practically a headphone amp in every room at this point, ha! We'll see where this demo leads, but I am a fan so far.

No what is insane is to rebuild the hole preamp to use a different tube.
Go from #26 tube to MH4 nuts

These tubes are worth it Glenn, might be the best drivers I own now.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #34,033 of 39,986

Right on! A $5.00 tube that slaps ya in the face!

Love it!!

:)

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #34,035 of 39,986
Well the 6N7 has won me over. I guess I should shut up about it and buy more while they're still cheap.

If you like them and they are cheap....buy a few...they won't go bad.

Sometimes silence is the best thing, until you have all of those tubes that you want of course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back