2359glenn | studio
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #33,856 of 39,986
Velozity,

Looks amazing and I’m sure it sounds incredible! Enjoy and please share your experience with different tubes you have.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #33,858 of 39,986
@2359glenn, thank you for contributing your time and knowledge and offering to create masterpiece amplifiers at a significant value for Head-Fi'ers to enjoy. I am thoroughly satisfied with my wooden GOTL and it has exceeding my expectations in build and sound quality. I honestly don't know how you have time to build these and keep a day job and still have time for yourself, but thank you for your sacrifices. Much respect sir, much respect. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

To everyone else, I here are some pictures of the amplifier Glenn and I have had the pleasure of listening to. It sounds freaking fantastic. I soooo can not wait to get the Verite Closed plugged into this baby. Sorry for so many pics, but I wanted to show the unboxing. It took me 20 minutes to remove all the darn pool noodles! And I giggled like a child the whole time :blush: . Glenn's care in packaging is second to none.

Pics in next post...

That is a seriously beautiful amp. Congrats!
Also great that it sounds fantastic. As expected... :)
Thanks for sharing the nice pics.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #33,860 of 39,986
So here she is, in all her timbered glory. What shall we name her??

2OKQMYO.jpg

asQh86V.jpg

8XUl0ft.jpg

49w93yx.jpg

RI34cTt.jpg

ETBgNsv.jpg

yrsSQih.jpg

Zvm4sOy.jpg

t54DnD0.jpg

What a beautiful little amp. You have some wonderful tubes in there also.
Congrats, you will get years of enjoyment.
I love the simple design.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #33,861 of 39,986
Gotcha...

Trying it here...Pin 1 connected to "shell" - may be more effective for the metal 6/12J5 tubes? I have seen very few 12J5's in metal, seem to have been more of a 6J5 thing.

I have not come across any metal 12J5 tubes either.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #33,863 of 39,986
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #33,865 of 39,986
Hi JV,
May I recommend bariatric surgery? Did a double abdominal band today that helped significantly to reduce microphonics in a pair of TFK EL11 T tubes.:

The procedure involves taking a piece of self gluing high temp silicone tape and stretch it tight so that the ends overlap. Push down one end over the other, and it is done. The tape can be removed by peeling it off or cutting it, and there is no residue. It only sticks tightly together when you join two pieces together.
Do you remember the rusty K-R 6C5 metal tube?

Since I don't have your skills in refinishing and painting (and no lime green paint) I just put on some make-up. Had a piece of silicone tape peeled off from a tube where it did not help (popping noises - requires heat treatment of pins) and a small blue rubber band. Put this no cost application on the rusty tube:

Not perfect, but better looking...Could not get a label to stick to the silicone; had to use scotch tape.
Necessity is the mother of invention, so where do unnecessary inventions come from?

Thanks, Mordy...

Will have to give the Silicon Tape a go.

And your cosmetically improved KR 6J5 looks much better! Well Done!

:)

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #33,866 of 39,986
Thanks - the picture was for illustration only. The tiny wire fell out when I was taking the picture and I put it back at random....
Still waiting for OK from Glenn - don't want to take any chances with my precious amp.

It is fine to do this a good thing to lower the noise.
You can also do this with your metal 6N7 jump pins 1 & 8 to ground the outer shell.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #33,867 of 39,986
I won these tubes at on international auction last night, $95 for a quad of 6C5G, I was the only bidder. May not seem like that great of a deal, seller does not know what brand they are as they are unlabeled...but I do :)

The acid etching and bases gave it away, they are Fivre, a most excellent and rare tube! The brown base with mesh shield is identical to my pair, so I will have a spare. The brown base with solid shield are a new construction to me that I have not seen. The black base are very early production, I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a match.

I haven't bought any tubes for a while, but I had to make an exception here.

@L0rdGwyn - Here is the question...do the 6C5G's sound better than 6/12J5's?
I mean they look really cool with the mesh shield...but are they a sonic bonus?

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #33,868 of 39,986
It is fine to do this a good thing to lower the noise.
You can also do this with your metal 6N7 jump pins 1 & 8 to ground the outer shell.

Good to know on the 6N7's as I have said the higher mu with these as drivers, have caused noise problems when using the higher mu power tubes!

Will be trying this, soon.

Appreciate @2359glenn !!

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #33,869 of 39,986
Thanks everyone for the kudos on my amp. Right off the bat one of the things that strikes me is just how quiet the noise floor is on her. With good tubes the background is as black as midnight. I love it! Currently I'm enjoying this "chrome dome" roll: Raytheon 3DG4, Tung-Sol 7236, NEC / Westinghouse 6SN7GTB. With excellent speed, slam and detail, it's a great combo to listen to the new Lindsey Stirling album.

aFjNtVF.jpg

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #33,870 of 39,986
@L0rdGwyn - Here is the question...do the 6C5G's sound better than 6/12J5's?
I mean they look really cool with the mesh shield...but are they a sonic bonus?

And I would like to add another question: is there a difference between ST, regular glass and metal tubes?
So far I have only been able to ascertain that these old tubes have the house sound of KR and Sylvania and NU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back