2359glenn | studio
Sep 16, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #30,631 of 39,986
Tried with LCD-3f with the same setup. It's just as beauuutiful. Volume just past 12 noon for both headphones. Total awe and admiration for GOTL.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #30,632 of 39,986
Here's a funny story. When I picked my GOTL from Factory Audio from the repair and replacement of the sockets, I ask Will the resident engineer extraordinaire, whether he tested by listening to music with it. Will look at me with a puzzlement. He said he never listen to any gear he repaired or restored, be they McIntosh, Audio Note or Luxman. I was shocked !!!

So I countered, 'How do you know it works then?'. Politely he led me to his bench where all this testing equipment are and connected a 2 prong connector to various sockets of GOTL and showed me the graph. He showed me the graph on the machine that goes up and down and said, that's how I know it works and will sound best for it's intended application. Furthermore he said, "I don't listen with the gear because SQ is subjective. I won't argue with you whether McIntosh or Audio Note sounds better. That's for you to decide, he declared !

Ok, I got it Will. :)

Now with GOTL back home after 3 weeks and I reckon GOTL sounds better than McIntosh and Audio Note. :ksc75smile:

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #30,633 of 39,986
Monster, you have to try GOTL with EL11 and 5998 on your Verite Closed. It's incredible. To my ears, it's much better than c3g and 5998.

IMG-3518.JPG

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #30,634 of 39,986
Here's a funny story. When I picked my GOTL from Factory Audio from the repair and replacement of the sockets, I ask Will the resident engineer extraordinaire, whether he tested by listening to music with it. Will look at me with a puzzlement. He said he never listen to any gear he repaired or restored, be they McIntosh, Audio Note or Luxman. I was shocked !!!

So I countered, 'How do you know it works then?'. Politely he led me to his bench where all this testing equipment are and connected a 2 prong connector to various sockets of GOTL and showed me the graph. He showed me the graph on the machine that goes up and down and said, that's how I know it works and will sound best for it's intended application. Furthermore he said, "I don't listen with the gear because SQ is subjective. I won't argue with you whether McIntosh or Audio Note sounds better. That's for you to decide, he declared !

Ok, I got it Will. :)

Now with GOTL back home after 3 weeks and I reckon GOTL sounds better than McIntosh and Audio Note. :ksc75smile:

:) Good story.

Will was a great find.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #30,635 of 39,986
Monster, you have to try GOTL with EL11 and 5998 on your Verite Closed.
I dont have the adapters needed for the el11. I have the el8,which arent bad,but not my fav for the VC. How do they differ in sound,and which ones are you using?

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #30,636 of 39,986
:) Good story.

Will was a great find.

You have to be kidding me. Any technician who can repair any gear confidently without listening to it after the repair (and know that it works 110%) must be a magician or a super technician. Will apparently is both.

Jokes aside, I can heartily recommend Will for any repair.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #30,637 of 39,986
I dont have the adapters needed for the el11. I have the el8,which arent bad,but not my fav for the VC. How do they differ in sound,and which ones are you using?

There is quite a big difference between EL8 and EL11. On the same token, there is a big difference between EL13 and EL11. EL8 and EL13 are quite similar.

Where EL8 and EL13 sounded more recessed and slightly lacking in bass, EL11 is on the opposite side of the spectrum. EL8 or EL13 has less gain. EL11 and EL3N have a lot more gain. The amplification for c3g is 40. EL11 is 36. This contributes to an energy and drive almost similar to c3g but EL11 has more body and texture. c3g in comparison sounded a lot leaner and more piercing in the high frequencies. EL11 sounded just about right to me.

I'm using Siemens EL11 which for the record is identical in tone and construction to Telefunken EL11 - according to UntilThen. :)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #30,638 of 39,986
Having said that, if you need a more relaxing and dial back tone, the EL8 and EL13 will suit you better. So the caveat is, SQ is subjective. I won't argue with you which tube sounds better, That's for you to decide !!!!

I'm learning from Will. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #30,639 of 39,986
There is quite a big difference between EL8 and EL11. On the same token, there is a big difference between EL13 and EL11. EL8 and EL13 are quite similar.

Where EL8 and EL13 sounded more recessed and slightly lacking in bass, EL11 is on the opposite side of the spectrum. EL8 or EL13 has less gain. EL11 and EL3N have a lot more gain. The amplification for c3g is 40. EL11 is 36. This contributes to an energy and drive almost similar to c3g but EL11 has more body and texture. c3g in comparison sounded a lot leaner and more piercing in the high frequencies. EL11 sounded just about right to me.

I'm using Siemens EL11 which for the record is identical in tone and construction to Telefunken EL11 - according to UntilThen. :)
Im having a hard time listening to any other headphone besides the VC. Im also having a hard time changing my tubes for the VC from Ken Rad VT231+GEC U18/20+6x 6bx7s. It sounds absolutely incredible. Fast,punchy,huge,tight sub bass,and creamy mids. Im slumming it with my GZ34,until my adapter arrives from Deyan.

That being said I just bought a cheapo new EH 6sn7,as its description in the 6sn7 thread sounds like it might sound good w/ the VC. If not,it was less than $25.00 shipped,so no big loss.

The VC likes speedy,impactful tubes,pretty much the opposite of what I like for the VO. Are the EL11 fast tubes?

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #30,641 of 39,986
Ok if you like Ken Rad VT231+GEC U18/20+6x 6bx7s, you will also like:-

Telefunken EL11 + 6 x 6bx7s

or

Telefunken EL11 + 5998.

EL11 is faster than speedy gonzales !!!

Telefunken EL11 have less/more/same bass as el8s? I have a Telefunken 12ax7 in my speaker amp,and it is bright and airy,and not much bass. Im gonna add some Mullard 12au and 12ax to give it a bit more warmth and body. My new DAC is much more revealing than my old one.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #30,643 of 39,986
Mate you're not listening to what I type above. EL11 has a lot more bass than EL8. It's not a bass head driver per se but it does generate quite a lot of bass .... in combination with the right power tubes of course.
OK. I def dont want a basshead driver. The VC doesnt need it.

I might sell some headphones coming up soon. VC is turning a lot of my collection into dust collectors. After that I may give el11s a shot. Thanks Matt.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #30,644 of 39,986
My experience with Verite Open is that it's a rather warm headphone compared to HD800. So to counter that, I use tubes that are slightly brighter and airier. This I find in the Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, EL11. In combination with 6 x 6bx7, I find the synergy incredible. My Yggdrasil is also rather neutral. So it's about finding the right combination in your whole setup and of course our preference can differ. So there's no one size fits everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back