2359glenn | studio
Sep 3, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #29,686 of 39,986
Isn't it amazing how attached you get to your equipment? And when something breaks or doesn't work right, it is a horrible feeling.....

I can't say that about any equipment but when my GOTL failed a week before Verite arrives, I was crashed. I was left with only the Sansui. Fortunately I found Will and FactoryAudio and the amp was fixed and now I get to enjoy it with the new headphone.

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #29,687 of 39,986
While I sit here and study, I've decided I need a break from the hyper-detailed and aggressive sound of the Tung-Sol 7802. I need something more laid-back, a little more lush. The Visseaux 6N7G and Bendix 6080WB are doing it for me right now with the Auteur.

I've found that although I enjoy the 6bx7s in the power slots the most, the occasional change of tubes breaks the monotony of listening to the same sound and the change is welcome. That's why the GOTL is special.

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #29,688 of 39,986
Hi Mordy, what brand C3g tubes do you have and any major audio difference between them that you can tell? My GOTL build will have the C3g sockets but I have not sourced any C3g tubes yet.

There are not too many variations of c3g. The more common variety are the Siemens c3g with printed lettering on top of the metal shield. These are the ones I have - 2 pairs of Siemens and 1 pair branded Telefunken - this is the supposedly better 's' suffix model but my ears cannot detect any noticeable difference or I did not bother trying to a/b it to the nth degree.

The other variety is the Lorenz c3g with the engraved wording on top of the metal shield. This is supposed to be less glossy in tone but again I did not bother trying it because I don't use the c3g much these days. Interesting that the seller states that the c3g are 300b drivers. I'm wondering how do they know? I've only seen c3g being used as drivers in Glenn 300b amp. I haven't seen it use in any other 300b amp. From those who love their Glenn 300b amp (that's literally everyone who owns it), the c3g and 300b tubes are just a super combination. I could actually imagine how that combination will sound.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lorenz-...734052?hash=item3f81ddc3a4:g:adUAAOSwkttZaEMb

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #29,689 of 39,986
I’m so missing my GOTL right now. I’ve lent it to a friend/audiophile so he can listen to it and review it. It’s been out for two weeks and I won’t be getting it back this week but these pictures are making it hurt more, lol.

It’s good timing though. I don’t have space for it and the other amps I currently have in the room. Once I send back the Toolshed Amp then my baby will be back in my arms.

This was me when I was without the Auteur. Just know it will sound even better than remembered when you are reunited!

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #29,690 of 39,986
Hi Mordy, what brand C3g tubes do you have and any major audio difference between them that you can tell? My GOTL build will have the C3g sockets but I have not sourced any C3g tubes yet.
Hi jmac1516,
I only have Siemens C3g tubes, including some older ones with embossed lettering. The Lorenz is supposed to sound darker. The C3g pentode sockets in the GOTL are a platform for me for using other pentodes such as the EL3N, EL6, EL8, EL11. EL12, EL32 etc, all with the appropriate adapters.
If you want to be adventurous there is another British made C3g type tube that to my knowledge nobody has tried yet - the STC 5A/152M. You will need special adapters since the pin-out is different than the C3g (but still loctal base - Deyan can make them). Not sure if they were made by a GEC subsidiary or not. Since there is less of a demand for them, the price is much less than the C3g tubes.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1x-5A-152M-...413841?hash=item4436ef1351:g:c8EAAOSwtRNccsXZ

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5a152m.html

Let's face it, anything made in the Foots Cray factory got to be good.....

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #29,691 of 39,986
Here is a conversation piece for a tube lover:
s-l1600.jpg

This piece of art (oscilloscope CRT picture tube 5LP1A) can be yours for less than $50.
For the man who has everything.......

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #29,692 of 39,986
There are not too many variations of c3g. The more common variety are the Siemens c3g with printed lettering on top of the metal shield. These are the ones I have - 2 pairs of Siemens and 1 pair branded Telefunken - this is the supposedly better 's' suffix model but my ears cannot detect any noticeable difference or I did not bother trying to a/b it to the nth degree.

The other variety is the Lorenz c3g with the engraved wording on top of the metal shield. This is supposed to be less glossy in tone but again I did not bother trying it because I don't use the c3g much these days. Interesting that the seller states that the c3g are 300b drivers. I'm wondering how do they know? I've only seen c3g being used as drivers in Glenn 300b amp. I haven't seen it use in any other 300b amp. From those who love their Glenn 300b amp (that's literally everyone who owns it), the c3g and 300b tubes are just a super combination. I could actually imagine how that combination will sound.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lorenz-...734052?hash=item3f81ddc3a4:g:adUAAOSwkttZaEMb

A 6SN7 can't really drive the miller capacitance of a 300B. I know amp makers use them but I think a marketing thing everybody likes a 6SN7.
Plus they are still made. So I tried other tubes first 6BM8/ECL82 didn't like the sound so much. Then tried a 6DN7 that is close to 1/2 a 6SN7 and 1/2 6BL7.
But really couldn't find any good sounding ones. Then tried the C3g good sound with the sparkle on top end perfect.
The 6SN7 looses that sparkle on top with the miller capacitance loading down the highs this is why a more powerful driver is necessary.
Maybe I could use A 6SN7 driving a 6BL7 driving the 300B this way a good 6SN7 can be used. But this would mean a larger amp.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #29,693 of 39,986
Anyone have any good tube storing solutions? I was thinking about some kind of plastic tubs with dividers or something?

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #29,694 of 39,986
Hi jmac1516,
I only have Siemens C3g tubes, including some older ones with embossed lettering. The Lorenz is supposed to sound darker. The C3g pentode sockets in the GOTL are a platform for me for using other pentodes such as the EL3N, EL6, EL8, EL11. EL12, EL32 etc, all with the appropriate adapters.
If you want to be adventurous there is another British made C3g type tube that to my knowledge nobody has tried yet - the STC 5A/152M. You will need special adapters since the pin-out is different than the C3g (but still loctal base - Deyan can make them). Not sure if they were made by a GEC subsidiary or not. Since there is less of a demand for them, the price is much less than the C3g tubes.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1x-5A-152M-...413841?hash=item4436ef1351:g:c8EAAOSwtRNccsXZ

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5a152m.html

Let's face it, anything made in the Foots Cray factory got to be good.....
Thanks Mordy and UT for the fast track education on C3g tubes!

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #29,695 of 39,986
A 6SN7 can't really drive the miller capacitance of a 300B. I know amp makers use them but I think a marketing thing everybody likes a 6SN7.
Plus they are still made. So I tried other tubes first 6BM8/ECL82 didn't like the sound so much. Then tried a 6DN7 that is close to 1/2 a 6SN7 and 1/2 6BL7.
But really couldn't find any good sounding ones. Then tried the C3g good sound with the sparkle on top end perfect.
The 6SN7 looses that sparkle on top with the miller capacitance loading down the highs this is why a more powerful driver is necessary.
Maybe I could use A 6SN7 driving a 6BL7 driving the 300B this way a good 6SN7 can be used. But this would mean a larger amp.

I've heard the c3g in the GOTL and I've heard the Takatsuki 300b tubes in the Woo Wa5. I've never heard the c3g and 300b tubes together but I am almost certain what a dynamite combination that would be. The c3g top end sparkle is excellent and clarity is outstanding, coupled that with the full sweet force of the 300b tubes, would be a recipe for the Three Tenors in the making. :)

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #29,696 of 39,986

Out of curiosity, would two 6SN7s be enough? What about 12SL7s?

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #29,697 of 39,986
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #29,698 of 39,986
Anyone have any good tube storing solutions? I was thinking about some kind of plastic tubs with dividers or something?
Hi hp,
If I remember correctly Mikelap on the old Little Dot thread found some inexpensive plastic "hot dog" trays that can be cut to be put in drawers.
As for myself I use a no cost system of shoe boxes. Each box gets a sticker with the contents. Tubes with boxes are stored in the boxes; unboxed tubes get rolled up in pieces of bubble wrap with a rubber band.
If I "grow out" of a shoebox because of new acquisitions, I just pick another bigger one and make a new label.
upload_2019-9-3_17-46-1.png

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #29,700 of 39,986

I use just standard tube boxes, a label maker, and my desk drawer. But you could easily put them in a larger box instead of a drawer. I like it this way since I can easily open up the drawer, identify the tube(s) I'm looking for, and roll :) the tubes I will not be using any time are in a storage box.

IMAG0646-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back