2359glenn | studio
Aug 13, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #28,501 of 39,986
Hopefully this isn't too controversial, but when it comes to DACs, I believe the measurements. I use Topping DACs, the Topping D50 and Topping D30.

I have A-B'd quite a few DACs and have honestly never been able to hear a difference. I have A-B'd the Topping DACs against the Modi Multibit, couldn't hear a difference (I owned it at one time). Burr-Brown, Sabre, AKM, doesn't matter, I cannot hear it. So, I go for DACs that measure well: highest linearity, dynamic range, and lowest THD+N, and you can get very close to the very top of all DACs at around a $300 price point. At least then I can see where my money is going.

The new Topping D50s is an excellent DAC from a measurements standpoint and it is very reasonably priced. Not saying that more expensive, proprietary, and/or boutique DACs are not worth their price, as I am sure much thought has gone into the engineering and build design, just saying that I have never been able to hear it. Still waiting for a DAC to come along that I can say "okay, that sounds better." Maybe it will happen for me at ZMFestivus in October.

When it comes to amps, it is a totally different story, because I can hear it! And typically, tube amplifiers will not measure as well as solid state, but there are easily discernible subjective improvements over solid state (for me).

If I am going to have second or third harmonic distortion in my audio chain, I want it to come from my beloved tubes!
I am certain that monster is going to disagree. Especially after selling a kidney to finance a totl boutique DAC. :wink:

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #28,502 of 39,986
I am certain that monster is going to disagree. Especially after selling a kidney to finance a totl boutique DAC. :wink:

I'd love to hear it! I'm totally open to an amazing DAC blowing me away, it just hasn't happened yet.

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #28,503 of 39,986
I have A-B'd quite a few DACs and have honestly never been able to hear a difference. I have A-B'd the Topping DACs against the Modi Multibit, couldn't hear a difference (I owned it at one time). Burr-Brown, Sabre, AKM, doesn't matter, I cannot hear it. So, I go for DACs that measure well: highest linearity, dynamic range, and lowest THD+N, and you can get very close to the very top of all DACs at around a $300 price point. At least then I can see where my money is going.
I would think that any Glenn owner is pretty far down the road of this hobby. Its not like any of us went from Apple earbuds from the motherboard directly to a Glenn,so it seems most of us have nice DACs. As to which is the consensus to own,I think it boils down to budget and personal tastes.

A few Glenn owners are rocking the Yggy. Another has the Holo Spring Kitsune lvl 3,and then myself and Leftside and have gone the full tube route with Lampizators. All are excellent DACs.

Unlike LG,I can def hear a difference between all the DACs Ive owned.
The AGD R2R-11 had a very warm sound,with a very musical presentation,but with warm headphones it got to be a bit too much.

The vintage EAD DSP-7000 Mk 3 had massive bass,but it was too warm and a bit claustrophobic for me. Thick,heavy sound. Zach from ZMF loves this DAC.

The Vinshine R2R Ref wasnt nearly as warm as the other two R2R DACs Ive owned,and is a great sounding DAC. The leading edges are a bit rounded off,which makes for a more relaxed sound.

The Atlantic TRP,which still taunts me from its box,is miles ahead of all the above mentioned DACs. Speed,clarity,holographic presentation. Huge images,live sounding,fantastic separation,resolution,jet black background,micro & macro details,etc....Its simply in another universe,both in performance and pricing.

I agree with LG that an amp has a much more profound influence on the sound though.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #28,504 of 39,986

Yup,im a believer. :)
Ironically the Atlantic TRP isnt their TOTL DAC. That title belongs to the Pacific,which sells for over 30k!:astonished:

I havent heard it,nor do I ever intend to do so. Line has been drawn.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #28,505 of 39,986
I would think that any Glenn owner is pretty far down the road of this hobby. Its not like any of us went from Apple earbuds from the motherboard directly to a Glenn,so it seems most of us have nice DACs. As to which is the consensus to own,I think it boils down to budget and personal tastes.

A few Glenn owners are rocking the Yggy. Another has the Holo Spring Kitsune lvl 3,and then myself and Leftside and have gone the full tube route with Lampizators. All are excellent DACs.

Unlike LG,I can def hear a difference between all the DACs Ive owned.
The AGD R2R-11 had a very warm sound,with a very musical presentation,but with warm headphones it got to be a bit too much.
The vintage EAD DSP-7000 Mk 3 had massive bass,but it was too warm and a bit claustrophobic for me.
The Vinshine R2R Ref wasnt nearly as warm as the other two R2R DACs Ive owned,and is a great sounding DAC. The leading edges are a bit rounded off,which makes for a more relaxed sound.
The Atlantic TRP,which still taunts me from its box,is miles ahead of all the above mentioned DACs. Speed,clarity,holographic presentation. Huge images,live sounding,resolution,jet black background,micro & macro details,etc....Its simply in another universe,both in performance and pricing.

I agree with LG that an amp has a much more profound influence on the sound.

I definitely don't mean to imply that what others are hearing isn't there or that all DACs sound the same, it is more of a personal problem that I cannot hear a difference ha!

I am hopeful that I will come across one that stands out to me, because you better believe I would be willing to upgrade for the improvement. I'd imagine a tube-rectified DAC, one with a tube buffer stage, or a vintage DAC would definitely sound different, but unfortunately, I have not heard one.

So I am keeping an open mind and using my cheapo DACs until I find "the one".

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #28,506 of 39,986
I definitely don't mean to imply that what others are hearing isn't there or that all DACs sound the same, it is more of a personal problem that I cannot hear a difference ha!

I am hopeful that I will come across one that stands out to me, because you better believe I would be willing to upgrade for the improvement. I'd imagine a tube-rectified DAC, one with a tube buffer stage, or a vintage DAC would definitely sound different, but unfortunately, I have not heard one.

So I am keeping an open mind and using my cheapo DACs until I find "the one".

I dont think its easy to hear(at least for me)huge differences in DACs unless you have one in your home for an extended length of time. Show environments simply do not afford the isolation,nor time to really'listen'. Not to mention most R2R DACs require a lengthy period of time of continous use before they sound their best. My Vinshine takes a few days to warm up,and Alvin(rep for Vinshine and Denafrips)suggests leaving the DAC powered up 24/7,which I do.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #28,507 of 39,986
To be honest I never run any tube equipment 24/7, but that's me.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #28,508 of 39,986
To be honest I never run any tube equipment 24/7, but that's me.

Nor do I. The R2R DACs I have owned are all solid state. The TRP,and all Lampizator DACs going forward are now D/S as they have shifted away from the R2R design.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #28,509 of 39,986
I may be very bad but I never leave my SS gear on when I don't use it.
I can't see myself leaving my Weiss DAC on all the time.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #28,510 of 39,986
I may be very bad but I never leave my SS gear on when I don't use it.
I can't see myself leaving my Weiss DAC on all the time.

My Schiit Gungnir Multibit takes almost 4 days to settle down once turned on. Can sound really wooly and disjointed at first. Tone is off. Once it’s settled down it sounds so much better. Schiit even recommends to leave the DAC on at all times because of it being an R2R.

Tube DACs are much more forgiving. Other than tube burn in, turn it on, then off when not being used.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #28,511 of 39,986
I dont think its easy to hear(at least for me)huge differences in DACs unless you have one in your home for an extended length of time. Show environments simply do not afford the isolation,nor time to really'listen'. Not to mention most R2R DACs require a lengthy period of time of continous use before they sound their best. My Vinshine takes a few days to warm up,and Alvin(rep for Vinshine and Denafrips)suggests leaving the DAC powered up 24/7,which I do.

When I owned a Schiit R2R DAC, I did leave it on 24/7 per their recommendation, never had any issue with it. I'll try to seek out some opportunities to audition some higher end DACs at home.

Unrelated, if someone is looking for a single 5998 for whatever reason, good price here, copper grid rods, over 100% emission, returns accepted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273964706855?ul_noapp=true

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #28,512 of 39,986
I have A-B'd quite a few DACs and have honestly never been able to hear a difference.

I agree with LG that an amp has a much more profound influence on the sound though.
My first decent DAC was a McIntosh D100. That was head and shoulders above the DAC inside my receiver. Then I borrowed a DAC from Lampizator and plugged it and the D100 into my preamp so I could do an A/B compare. The differences were obvious after 4-5 listens. The Mac sounded harsh and then I borrowed some money to purchase the Lampizator. The sound differences were even more obvious after I listened to the Lampizator for week and then plugged back in the D100.

But, I'll respectfully disagree with both of you :) I believe the following: speakers/headphones > input source (turntable/DAC) > amp > preamp > tubes.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #28,513 of 39,986
My Schiit Gungnir Multibit takes almost 4 days to settle down once turned on. Can sound really wooly and disjointed at first. Tone is off. Once it’s settled down it sounds so much better. Schiit even recommends to leave the DAC on at all times because of it being an R2R.

Tube DACs are much more forgiving. Other than tube burn in, turn it on, then off when not being used.
I have the exact same experience with a Shiiiiit Jotenheim DAC that somebody just gave me - it did not sound right until after having been powered on for a couple of days. And as said, the manufacturer recommends leaving it on continuously.
I also have a Musical Fidelity V-DAC that always stays on; there doesn't seem to be any issues with these pieces of equipment leaving them on all the time.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #28,514 of 39,986
But, I'll respectfully disagree with both of you :) I believe the following: speakers/headphones > input source (turntable/DAC) > amp > preamp > tubes.[/QUOTE]
Can you explain what you mean?

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #28,515 of 39,986
My first decent DAC was a McIntosh D100. That was head and shoulders above the DAC inside my receiver. Then I borrowed a DAC from Lampizator and plugged it and the D100 into my preamp so I could do an A/B compare. The differences were obvious after 4-5 listens. The Mac sounded harsh and then I borrowed some money to purchase the Lampizator. The sound differences were even more obvious after I listened to the Lampizator for week and then plugged back in the D100.

But, I'll respectfully disagree with both of you :) I believe the following: speakers/headphones > input source (turntable/DAC) > amp > preamp > tubes.

Wow, tubes at the bottom of the list? I'm shocked. Color me intrigued though, to hear an obvious difference between DACs is not an experience I'm familiar with. Monster has made me aware there are Lampizator DACs that do not cost a kidney, maybe just my spleen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back