2359glenn | studio
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #28,516 of 39,986
Four Tung-Sol 7802 better than two? I think so. More authority and body, slightly faster attack. I'll be sending a pair to @heliosphann today, I need some more ears on these tubes...

DSCF5392.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #28,517 of 39,986
Fivre 12SL7s came in. Look to be almost the same build, round top, plastic spacers, round bottom mica with the exception of the that the plates are not fully black (pencil lead color and shine) as the one I lost in the amp. There is also no flash on the side of the tube and black base instead of red.

Tube feels like it has the same depth, PRaT, and dynamics, but not as strong in depth layering as the brown base version. Hope the tube opens up more with time but I really miss the red base version.

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #28,518 of 39,986
But, I'll respectfully disagree with both of you :) I believe the following: speakers/headphones > input source (turntable/DAC) > amp > preamp > tubes.
Can you explain what you mean?[/QUOTE]
Most important is speakers/headphones. Tubes least so. Obviously, others will think differently depending upon their systems.

Wow, tubes at the bottom of the list? I'm shocked. Color me intrigued though, to hear an obvious difference between DACs is not an experience I'm familiar with. Monster has made me aware there are Lampizator DACs that do not cost a kidney, maybe just my spleen...
I picked up a used Lampizator Euforia for $1100 last year. It's not so popular, as it only supports DSD. But, with something like Roon or JRiver it's really easy to convert a PCM to a DSD signal so that PCM files can also be played. A lot of the earlier models can be had for good prices on the used market. I'll eventually replace this Euforia with the TRP that monster purchased, but it's fairly low down on my list of priorities right now.

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #28,520 of 39,986
I'll eventually replace this Euforia with the TRP that monster purchased, but it's fairly low down on my list of priorities right now.
I will wait for @Monsterzero to upgrade his DAC to the $30K one, and buy his current one for half price! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #28,521 of 39,986
Your system is as good as it's weakest link. I believe that source, amp and transducers are equally important. It's important that there's synergy.

I certainly can hear differences in the dacs I've own and heard in my own home. In fact, when I audition Yggdrasil at Addicted At Audio, it sounded so good to my ears I had to buy it there and then. The NAD M51 that I had at one time sounded very good to me but it's more lean in tone. Yggy has more body and just as detailed. Apart from dac, when I bought Rega Rp8 with Apheta cartridge and Avid Pellar phono stage, I was astonished at the level of details I heard from vinyl. :)

I'm sure there are better dacs and turntables/cartridges out there but this is where I stop. I'm happy with what I've got.

Monster is right though. For a proper evaluation of gear, you need to have it in your own home and listen to it for a while.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #28,522 of 39,986
Can you explain what you mean?
Most important is speakers/headphones. Tubes least so. Obviously, others will think differently depending upon their systems.
Hi ls,
Your answer confirms my initial impression of what you meant. I cannot argue too much with what you are saying - the speakers/headphones have a major impact on the sound and so on, down the chain of components.
However, I have settled on a bunch of components that I am not likely to change so soon (unless something breaks). This leads me to very few choices - 2 pairs of headphones [T1 and HD650] that I don't use much, and my beloved Elac Debut 6 speakers which I use all the time.
The only changes I make are the tubes. I am working with my system, trying to find the combination of tubes that bests suits my taste. Therefore, in my situation, the major change in sound only comes from the tubes, which make them the most important for me in terms of changing the sound.
So I think that we are basically saying the same thing, just approaching it from different angles.
I am sure if I were to get a pair of Wilson WAMM Master Chronosonic Towers speakers it would make an enormous difference compared to changing tubes, but I ain't going there.....
113wilson.big.jpg

If you are asking about the MSRP price for a pair, you cannot afford them........

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #28,524 of 39,986
Tubes do affect what you hear eventually but it's not at the level of the main component and it's implementation. So the main building blocks are the source, amp and transducers. I agree with leftside that tubes have a lesser impact compared to those.

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #28,525 of 39,986
I leave my dac on all the time, that is what is recommended....I just put mine in standby mode.

At one time I was in the camp that the dac was the least important part in the chain, but I have definitely changed my mind as far as that goes.

If you can not hear the differences though, heck I would consider that a great thing actually.

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #28,526 of 39,986

Hi attmci,
12 bidders and a price of $139 for a tube that is shorted out and non-serviceable - maybe those guys know something that we don't?

Maybe they are hoping they can wack the tube and shift the internal components enough to break the short, it's the only way. I have now done this on a few tubes, but I would never buy into a $122 gamble. You could buy a working ECC32 for not much more.

Or nine bidders didn't read the description.

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #28,527 of 39,986
My guess is they did not read the description.

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #28,528 of 39,986
We'll see if I can make a believer out of me, I'll make it a project of mine to find an exceptional DAC where the difference is truly obvious. I can count the number of hifi stores in Cleveland on two fingers, maybe they can help me out. Very unlikely to have boutique brands, only the major players.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #28,529 of 39,986
We'll see if I can make a believer out of me, I'll make it a project of mine to find an exceptional DAC where the difference is truly obvious. I can count the number of hifi stores in Cleveland on two fingers, maybe they can help me out. Very unlikely to have boutique brands, only the major players.
You can always borrow one from Fred/Lampizator. Beware: look what happened to @Monsterzero :)

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #28,530 of 39,986

You're going to the ZMF Festivius. I'm sure someone will bring along a nice dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back