2359glenn | studio
Feb 11, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #18,451 of 39,986
Yes it is, I am using this rectifier in my amp at the moment.
Listening to Gary Clark Jr. this morning with Atticus :)

Great point Matt, pulling straight up will prolong the life of these tubes, they can be fragile...I know many people who have ruined some of these taking their black jackets off.
They have a nice glow with the jackets removed, but I prefer to leave them on as they were meant.

Transparency is off the hook with these tubes! Have these in the OTL now combined with some 6080 Mullards.

The black metal jackets are a shield and is hooked to the center guide pin and grounded in the amp. This helps stops noise and hum pickup.
The only problem with C3g's is some of them are micro phonic that drives me nuts. But it is probably the best sounding tube there is.

Before I built the EL3N was going to build a amp that Just used two C3g tubes no driver supposed to deliver 1.5 watts. Yamamoto makes a amp like this
that uses a C3m that is really the same tube with a 20 volt filament and different pin configuration. Thought the EL3N would be better when I started
playing with them.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #18,452 of 39,986
The black metal jackets are a shield and is hooked to the center guide pin and grounded in the amp. This helps stops noise and hum pickup.
The only problem with C3g's is some of them are micro phonic that drives me nuts. But it is probably the best sounding tube there is.

Before I built the EL3N was going to build a amp that Just used two C3g tubes no driver supposed to deliver 1.5 watts. Yamamoto makes a amp like this
that uses a C3m that is really the same tube with a 20 volt filament and different pin configuration. Thought the EL3N would be better when I started
playing with them.

That is why I leave my jackets on mine.
I have a couple pair of C3g that are micro phonic as well and some EL3N tubes that have weird noises..

The sonics and distortion are great with the EL3N amp....I do find that the time it takes for the EL3N tubes to settle in is quite long, at least in my experience.
I have been listening to both amps since my son has been away house sitting. I won't lie...it has me spoiled.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #18,453 of 39,986
That is why I leave my jackets on mine.
I have a couple pair of C3g that are micro phonic as well and some EL3N tubes that have weird noises..

The sonics and distortion are great with the EL3N amp....I do find that the time it takes for the EL3N tubes to settle in is quite long, at least in my experience.
I have been listening to both amps since my son has been away house sitting. I won't lie...it has me spoiled.

You will need another OTL that uses six 6BX7s and a C3g

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #18,454 of 39,986
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #18,455 of 39,986
Probably right, I will have all of these tubs of tubes ...but minus an amp, lol
I agree with Glenn Joe. Perhaps you can one up the latest incarnation of Glenn's OTL. Is it Super 11 now? :beerchug::beyersmile:

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #18,456 of 39,986
I agree with Glenn Joe. Perhaps you can one up the latest incarnation of Glenn's OTL. Is it Super 11 now? :beerchug::beyersmile:

that would be Monster Eleven Glenn Amp=M.E.G.A. :L3000:

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #18,457 of 39,986
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #18,458 of 39,986
3EA85C8F-0C35-4AE4-AB50-66BFC9FE6641.jpeg
Bit of patience is needed with the el3n tubes but the rewards are well worth it. Amp is dead silent in in two tube mode, but still a bit noisy in dual tube. Running senns though two tube is all you’d need. Just a wonderful sounding amp. So much that I’ve have only listened to my AF Affcinado once since it arrived

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #18,459 of 39,986
Bit of patience is needed with the el3n tubes but the rewards are well worth it. Amp is dead silent in in two tube mode, but still a bit noisy in dual tube. Running senns though two tube is all you’d need. Just a wonderful sounding amp. So much that I’ve have only listened to my AF Affcinado once since it arrived

What rectifier are you using?

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #18,462 of 39,986

I have 2 pairs of c3g. A pair of Telefunken c3g/s and a pair of Siemens c3g. I know that it's been pointed out to me that they are both Siemens but the fact is one pair is with the 's' suffix.

As luck would have it, one of the Telefunken and one of the Siemens tube have hum. So I'm left with one good Telefunken and one good Siemens and I'm running them together now for a noise free and hum free c3g magic.

c3g and 6 x 6BX7 on the GOTL sounds amazing. This particular pairing is dead quiet and a joy to listen.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #18,463 of 39,986
that would be Monster Eleven Glenn Amp=M.E.G.A. :L3000:

You will find that in your MEGA (although I don't know how it's possible to fit 11 sockets on that chassis), c3g and 6 x 6BL7 is your ticket to ride with your Atticus. It wouldn't be too warm and lush as per your previous amp and tube combination.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #18,465 of 39,986

Thanks for sharing. I really wonder how the GEL3N would sound compared to Glenn's 300b amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back